Is it possible...?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Trig0r

Is it possible...?

Post by Trig0r »

So, long story short, used to have a forum that was running an earlier version of v3, that ended up falling over, something to do with PHP errors and memory or something..
So, can I take a backup off of the db and push that into a fresh install of 3.5 or whatever the latest version is, is it not that simple, is there an idiots guide perhaps?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Is it possible...?

Post by warmweer »

Trig0r wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:53 pm So, long story short, used to have a forum that was running an earlier version of v3, ...
You'll have to be more specific about "v3"
If your board was phpBB 3.0.x you may need to sanitise your database before upgrading and that implies some setting up.
If it was version 3.1.x or 3.2.x extensions have to be disabled.
In all cases prosilver has to be the only active style and British english has to be the only language.

see: Upgrade Guide

Whichever version you had : the upgrade path to follow = Full Package
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

I can't even log into the forum now so can't check any of what you have listed, nor can I change any of it.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Trig0r wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:54 pm I can't even log into the forum now so can't check any of what you have listed, nor can I change any of it.
If you can take a backup of the database then you can also look at the config_table - field version
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

I took a backup from the web host cp, so as long as I can open that on my machine and check that field I should be in a better place.
All being well from that you're suggesting an online/in-place upgrade from my old broken version to the newest rather than a completely fresh install and then injecting the data into the new db?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Trig0r wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:08 am I took a backup from the web host cp, so as long as I can open that on my machine and check that field I should be in a better place.
All being well from that you're suggesting an online/in-place upgrade from my old broken version to the newest rather than a completely fresh install and then injecting the data into the new db?
There's no need to have your board up and running to check a database field.

If you "inject" the database backup you will need to update anyway.

Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

warmweer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:40 amThere's no need to have your board up and running to check a database field.

If you "inject" the database backup you will need to update anyway.
Yeah I get I can check the version from the DB using SQL Viewer, but to get back up and running can I just do a fresh install of phpBB and then inject the data from the DB, presuming I do whatever convert/cleanup that is required?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Trig0r wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:34 pm Yeah I get I can check the version from the DB using SQL Viewer, but to get back up and running can I just do a fresh install of phpBB and then inject the data from the DB, presuming I do whatever convert/cleanup that is required?
To be honest ... If you still can't tell us which version of phpbb you were using (+ extra info such as php version, extensions or modifications: in short the info usually requested using the Support Request Template) and the info currently available = something to do with PHP errors and memory or something ...
I'm not going to advise/confirm anything ATM

Please use the SRT (Support Request Template) to provide the relevant information.

Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

warmweer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:58 pm
Trig0r wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:34 pm Yeah I get I can check the version from the DB using SQL Viewer, but to get back up and running can I just do a fresh install of phpBB and then inject the data from the DB, presuming I do whatever convert/cleanup that is required?
To be honest ... If you still can't tell us which version of phpbb you were using (+ extra info such as php version, extensions or modifications: in short the info usually requested using the Support Request Template) and the info currently available = something to do with PHP errors and memory or something ...
I'm not going to advise/confirm anything ATM

Please use the SRT (Support Request Template) to provide the relevant information.
Yeah that's fine, I'm not holding anyone to anything, this is the internet after all....
I just need to find an SQL viewer of some description that can read the .sql.gz file I downloaded so I can get the info out that is required, then go from there. I'd know myself but the board was run by someone who has since vanished so I know its a good few years out of date, we got a loooad of spambots sign up and then one day everything just stopped working and I'm trying to do what I can to get things back up and running..
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Yes, you can take a database and set up a new forum using it.

First, take that database file and restore it to a database. (this is outside phpBB, a command line magic or phpmyadmin, etc)
Look at the restored database and what prefix those tables have. (phpmyadmin is cool to browse DB's)

Install phpBB to the same database using different prefix. (You FTP files to your webhost and install phpBB)
After install, edit config.php to that prefix what you want to restore.

Run database upgrade.

Remove /install directory

Done..
(Note, this is only for posts. Attachments and avatars, etc. needs to copy few directories, if they are available. If they are, just overwrite the ones one the server)
Signature is here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Trig0r wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:46 pm Yeah that's fine, I'm not holding anyone to anything, this is the internet after all....
The thing is that depending on the version you start from, the number of actions to perform can differ, (also, whether there were modifications involving the database), and also depending on extensions present or not.

lurtinnen suggests exactly what I wanted: restore the database first (allowing easier investigation of what will be necessary to restore and update/grade the board). BUT: which steps to take next depend on the information retrieved from the database.

So: once you've imported the database: which version?, which languages, which styles, which extensions?

Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

warmweer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:01 amIf you can take a backup of the database then you can also look at the config_table - field version
Right, I'm a bit limited as the hosting only allows 1 db max, but given the one on there at the mo is from a fresh install I've knocked it off and then restored the backup db only.

I couldn't find a config_table but did find a reference to version 3.2.2 under phpbb_config, config_name, so will look at the steps involved in a 3.2.2 to a 3.3.5, not sure how that will go though given my existing 3.2.2 doesn't let me log in or seem to want to play..
Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

warmweer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:38 am
Trig0r wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:46 pm Yeah that's fine, I'm not holding anyone to anything, this is the internet after all....
The thing is that depending on the version you start from, the number of actions to perform can differ, (also, whether there were modifications involving the database), and also depending on extensions present or not.

lurtinnen suggests exactly what I wanted: restore the database first (allowing easier investigation of what will be necessary to restore and update/grade the board). BUT: which steps to take next depend on the information retrieved from the database.

So: once you've imported the database: which version?, which languages, which styles, which extensions?
So appears 3.2.2, but a bad/corrupt instance of that, I might see if I can get an install of 3.2.2, put my DB in that and get a working 3.2.2 and then do an in place upgrade, I've got some reading to do first though so will see how it goes..
Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

I now have a working 3.2.11...

Just about to go for 3.3.5...

It appears that my issue might have been the hosting that I am using moving us to php8, oh well, every days a school day, and we're back online and up to date...
Trig0r

Post by Trig0r »

All back up and running, cheers for the assist guys.

Just need to start another thread asking more stupid questions now ;)

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”