Fresh install lose data?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
yonjovan7

Fresh install lose data?

Post by yonjovan7 »

Hello I'm looking to do a fresh install on my forums and update to 3.3. Our board has two seperate sites, an SQL site, and a forum that uses some custom code to display things from the sql site on the forums. Several years ago we had a big issue where we had to rollback, but in doing so seemed to have lost alot of our code. Since then the forums have been an absolute mess, errors everywhere, cpu load has become so high that the forums are constantly taken down by our host. We've had to disable the forums entirely, and in the last two years we've lost about 70% of our traffic.

I'm looking to do a fresh install of 3.3....but don't want to lose any of our forum posts or data, or custom code. Is this possible? And do you think this may solve the issues we have been facing?

Thank you.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Fresh install lose data?

Post by warmweer »

yonjovan7 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:31 am Hello I'm looking to do a fresh install on my forums and update to 3.3. Our board has two seperate sites, an SQL site, and a forum that uses some custom code to display things from the sql site on the forums. Several years ago we had a big issue where we had to rollback, but in doing so seemed to have lost alot of our code. Since then the forums have been an absolute mess, errors everywhere, cpu load has become so high that the forums are constantly taken down by our host. We've had to disable the forums entirely, and in the last two years we've lost about 70% of our traffic.

I'm looking to do a fresh install of 3.3....but don't want to lose any of our forum posts or data, or custom code. Is this possible? And do you think this may solve the issues we have been facing?

Thank you.
A fresh install will create a new board (just about empty but for your founder data).
Importing the data from your current board (through a database restore) will effectively replace the new data with the data from your "old" board implying you'll have a version mismatch which will cause problems and could corrupt data.

You mention having lost a lot of your custom code. A new board does not contain the lost custom code so that's not going to solve the problem in any way.

You best bet is to upgrade your board, and then try to restore the missing custom functions using extensions or new custom code (if possible).

Please use the Support Request Template to provide precise information allowing a better evaluation of the current status.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
yonjovan7

Re: Fresh install lose data?

Post by yonjovan7 »

Thank you, I will do that.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”