Newbie setting up phpBB with godaddy

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
baltiboy

Newbie setting up phpBB with godaddy

Post by baltiboy »

Hello,

I am new to this forum and just paid for a domain name as well as for the basic hosting package (including woldpress but I guess phpBB should still work) on godaddy.com. I downloaded the software for this forum (version 3.3.5) and the PDF guide (https://download.phpbb.com/pub/document ... tation.pdf). Even though I had a look at the guide I am not sure how to install the software given I have very limited IT knowledge. Is there a guide that I can read or a video that explains all the steps in an even simpler way?

Thanks!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Newbie setting up phpBB with godaddy

Post by thecoalman »

Any basic hosting package should handle phpBB or WordPress, the installation procedures are similar for both. Not sure what a WordPress package entails but perhaps they have it preinstalled? There may even be a one click install for phpBB in your hosting control panel but it's recommended to avoid this. The software may be out of date and potentially other issues like changes that may have been made to official install. Typically you need to manually update installations like phpBB and WordPress so it's best to learn the procedures now anyway.

The installation instructions require some basic knowledge like how to use FTP to transfer files from your local computer to the server. Your host should have documentation on how to configure and use FTP with their service, the most important thing is going to be the username and password which is typically going to be the username and password for the hosting account. You'll also need the database name, username and password which is information provided by your host.

Try following the directions and If you have any specific questions where you get stuck feel free to ask.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”