Updating board from 3.2.2 to 3.3.5 - I think I messed up

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Dante101b

Updating board from 3.2.2 to 3.3.5 - I think I messed up

Post by Dante101b »

EDIT: My problem was solved. I accidentally deleted my config.php file, and, prior to updating, I forgot to disable my extensions (one of which was no longer compatible with the new software upgrade).
Today I updated my forum from 3.2.2 to 3.3.5. I made sure to switch the forum to "prosilver" before updating, but forgot to turn off the extensions.

After the installation was done, I clicked on the "go to admin page" link, and got a blank white page. Maybe due to extensions?

I tried going to my forum's home page, but still a blank white page.

The install app page said everything was upgraded. I then deleted the install folder via ftp. Still a blank white page.

I tried looking on here for advice. I noticed my ftp program was set to "automatic" instead of "binary." Not sure if that was the issue or not.

One thread suggested reuploading the vendor directory. Did that, but no change.

Out of frustration, I uploaded the previous files (the version 3.2.2 files). The forum came back. I went to the admin panel and disabled the extensions.

So now I'm in this weird place. I uploaded the 3.2.2 files, but the admin control panel is telling me that I'm currently running 3.3.5. That can't be true, right? Since I replaced all the files with my previous backup.

Should I upload the changed files like I did during the original update? So confused. And I'm sorry, I'm not a tech expert (I frequently get lost with some of the terms on here).
Last edited by Dante101b on Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Updating board from 3.2.2 to 3.3.5 - I think I messed up

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it shows 3.3.5 because you already updated the database to 3.3.5
for now, since you have disabled the extensions.
go back and delete the 3.2 files except for the onces that the instructions say to leave alone.
then upload all new 3.3.5 files again except for the config.php file that comes with the zip.
It is blank and if you upload it it will overwrite your working config.php with a blank one and nothing will work.

robe3rt
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Dante101b

Post by Dante101b »

Thank you so much!

As I was looking for the instructions that had a list of files to leave alone, I came across this:

So I did that, instead. Although I didn't upload the 4 directories that it said not to delete in the first place, as uploading them from the full package would be just the same as deleting them in the first place. Am I correct in that? Or, if I WAS supposed to upload the new directories from the full package, why did it tell me not to delete the old ones in the first place?

The board seem okay -- just don't want to leave any vulnerable files left behind that might cause problems with my hosting server.

Thanks again for your help.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

uploading files of the same name as ones on the server will overwrite the old one with the new one.
that is what happens when you follow those instructions.
the only files in those folders that will get overwritten are the ones that should be.

so, in this situation the main file that you do not want to upload is the blank config.php file because it will overwrite your current config.php file.
that will replace the working file with the new blank file and you do not want that.

the other folders that it says don't delete is because you need the folders/files inside them.
however, uploaing the new ones don't have any of those files inside them so it won't overwrite anything that you need.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Dante101b

Post by Dante101b »

Thanks again! I assumed that uploading, say, the "images" directory would replace the entire directory. But you're right -- I just tested it and it didn't delete all the old files inside that directory -- just the files that had been updated. It left the others alone. I didn't know it worked that way.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”