How to make it so that a single user cannot edit his posts?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Harrison76

How to make it so that a single user cannot edit his posts?

Post by Harrison76 »

hello everyone,
we have a forum in which all users can edit their posts for an indefinite time: it happens, however, that a user who signs up and when he has about 100 messages goes to delete all their posts replacing them with a dash
now we can identify this user, when he subscribes but we have to block his posts manually, one by one
Is there any way to make this user can no longer edit their posts, once written, but do so that all others can continue to do so. thanks
david63

Re: How to make it so that a single user cannot edit his posts?

Post by david63 »

One way is to tell him to stop doing it or you will ban him - your board, your rules.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Make a new group with ‘can edit own posts’ set to ‘never’ then put any individual offenders in that group leaving them in the ‘registered user group’ as well. I suspect you’ve already edited that entry for the ‘registered users group’ as it’s set to ‘no’ by default?

Also, are you sure the user editing his own posts isn’t a spammer?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Harrison76

Post by Harrison76 »

Hi, I created the group and then searched for the entry for editing messages but I couldn't find it: I only found the one that talks about editing private messages, while I mean editing posts. can you tell me how to get there? Thanks
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Can edit own posts is a user forum permission (also a group forum permission).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
MedicineStorm

Post by MedicineStorm »

There are several ways to accomplish this, but I made a specific forum role and forum group to prevent such users from doing what you describe. These are the steps I took to accomplish this:
  1. Add a new group:
    1. Go to your ACP and click on the "Users and Groups" tab along the top.
    2. Under the "groups" heading along the left side of the page, select "Manage groups".
    3. Under the "User defined groups" heading, enter a name in the "Create new group:" textbox and click Submit. I named mine "book-burners-group" because these users like to destroy text.
    4. On the "Manage groups" page, set the "Copy permissions from:" dropdown to "Registered users", scroll to the bottom, and click Submit.
  2. Add a new role:
    1. Click the "Permissions" tab along the top.
    2. Along the left side under the heading "permission roles", click "Forum roles" (not user roles).
    3. Enter a name for the new user role in the "Create Role:" textbox at the bottom of the page. (I picked "book-burners-role", for consistency).
    4. In the "Use settings from..." dropdown, pick the role that most closely matches what your offending user already has. I picked "Standard Access" since my users are granted that forum role by default.
    5. After clicking Submit button, click the "Post" tab under the "Forum permissions" heading.
    6. About half-way down the list is the permission "Can edit own posts" as mentioned by warmweer. Select the "Never" column. I also recommend setting the "Can permanently delete own posts" to "never" as well, but it depends on how your forum is set up. Click submit.
  3. Apply the new role to your forum(s):
    1. Still under the "permissions" tab, under the "forum based permissions" along the left side of the page, select "Forum permissions".
    2. Select all the forums where you want this role+group to be restricted and click Submit. (I checked the "All forums" checkbox since I want it to apply everywhere.)
    3. Under the "Groups" heading, in the "Manage groups" list, select the group you created in step #1, then click "Edit permissions"
    4. For each forum listed, select the new role you created in step #2 from the "Role:" dropdown for each one. (eg "Role: [book-burners-role]")
    5. At the bottom of the page, click "Apply all permissions"
  4. Add your offending user(s) to the new group:
    1. Select the "Users and groups" tab along the top of the page.
    2. Under the "Groups" heading along the left side of the page, select "Manage groups".
    3. In the list of "User defined groups" select the "members" link in the row of the new group you created in step #1.
    4. Under the "Add users" heading, enter the offending user's username in the "username" textbox and click Submit.
Any user who is a member of that new group will not be able to edit their own posts. After this, you'll only need to perform step #4 for any new book-burners that show up on your forum. You can also add a user to this group via the "Administer user" link on their profile, go to "Select form: [Groups]" and "Add user to group" there.

Did I miss anything? Let us know if it doesn't work.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

MedicineStorm wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:15 pm [*]Under the "User defined groups" heading, enter a name in the "Create new group:" textbox and click Submit. I named mine "book-burners-group" because these users like to destroy text.
Great directions and you get the LOL award for the day. When I'm creating a group or role based on the registered users group I usually just name it something like Registered Users -Edit. Yours is certainly more colorful. :lol:

Quick tip and easy way to see the big picture on permissions:

Permission tab >> Click "forum permissions" link on left >> Check "all forums" and submit.

On the next page under the "manage groups" heading click the first group to highlight it. Scroll to bottom and while holding shift select last group. All groups should now be highlighted. Click the edit permissions button. This will open page with all forums and all permissions set for groups.

Note that if you have a lot forums/groups it may throw a php error in which case select few forums.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

MedicineStorm wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:15 pm There are several ways to accomplish this, but I made a specific forum role and forum group to prevent such users from doing what you describe. These are the steps I took to accomplish this:
  • Add your offending user(s) to the new group:
    1. Select the "Users and groups" tab along the top of the page.
    2. Under the "Groups" heading along the left side of the page, select "Manage groups".
    3. In the list of "User defined groups" select the "members" link in the row of the new group you created in step #1.
    4. Under the "Add users" heading, enter the offending user's username in the "username" textbox and click Submit.
Or just click on the username >>> you'll be in viewing user profile
Click on Administer user
Select form groups
Add user to group (in the dropdown)
Submit
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

MedicineStorm

Post by MedicineStorm »

warmweer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:34 pm Or just click on the username >>> you'll be in viewing user profile
Click on Administer user
Select form groups
Add user to group (in the dropdown)
Submit
Indeed. :) I was trying to keep the instructions within the same area of the ACP, but yes that is a faster way to add individual users, thus my blurb at the end stating the same:
MedicineStorm wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:15 pm You can also add a user to this group via the "Administer user" link on their profile, go to "Select form: [Groups]" and "Add user to group" there.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

MedicineStorm wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:00 am Indeed. :) I was trying to keep the instructions within the same area of the ACP, but yes that is a faster way to add individual users, thus my blurb at the end stating the same:
Apologies, I overlooked that :oops:
Last edited by warmweer on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harrison76

Post by Harrison76 »

hello and thanks for the suggestions: there is only a small problem, that at the moment I have 674 forums !
do i have to enter in each of them to change permissions or is there a way to do it massively?
thanks
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Harrison76 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:43 pm oment I have 674 forums !
:shock: good luck.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Once you have the group set up select one forum and set the permissions. Make sure they are set correctly with roles for all groups.

Then go to Permissions tab >> Copy forum permissions link on left

Copy permissions from the forum you set up above. To apply to all forums you can select them all by clicking the first one and scrolling to bottom. Hold shift and select last one which should highlight them all. You can deselect by holding ctrl an clicking individual ones highlighted.

That said with that many you will probably get php error. Try doing 50 at a time or whatever.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Harrison76

Post by Harrison76 »

but if i get this php error, does it plant then everything? should i make a backup of the files before doing the maneuver, or just backup the database? thanks
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

It's always helpful to have backups regardless of what you are doing. Daily or even incremental backups. Running into these errors is just going to happen if you using the default php.ini settings. Pruning a bunch of users for example is one case this can happen. Generally it's not an issue but you may only have completed part of you were trying to do. In this case the primary issue is the max_input_vars. Don't quote me on this but I believe the script will fail to execute entirely.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”