Cannot login to ACP and users can't login at all

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
bzncrew

Cannot login to ACP and users can't login at all

Post by bzncrew »

I got an email from a moderator who can't login. He's getting
You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to pass the CAPTCHA test.

So I reset his ID "user_login_attempts" =0 manually from phpmyAdmin
no joy

Then I tried to login to ACP and got the same thing. Doesn't recognize my browser stored password. I'm still logged in (remember me) but when I click ACP it wants to re-authenticate and fails using the stored browser password.

I reset ALL users "user_login_attempts" =0
This should fix it right?

Still, I can't login.

So then I ran this insert to make a back door admin

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_jabber, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', '[email protected]', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '')
This creates a user Admin pass admin

No joy. Says I've exceeded my maximum logins. ???????

Took a look at "who's online" to see if the dreaded same IP addy problem. Nope. All the users online have unique IPs

Manually deleted Cache files via FTP. My CPU pinned for 5 minutes and rebuilt folders.

Still no joy.

I can't Login with my admin user ID..with the inserted Admin1 user ID. And others can't login.
Tried different browsers. Different computers.

I'm at a loss.

Just started today. NOTHING has changed in configuration.
Last edited by Mick on Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved
bzncrew

Re: Cannot login to ACP and users can't login at all

Post by bzncrew »

inmotion hosting said they upgraded PHP from 7.2 to 7.4 last night.

Could that be the cause?
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Normally not but if something got wrong than...
Do you have a url from your board for us?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
bzncrew

Post by bzncrew »

Site is at
https://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/

Update:
Today, my forced insert of "Admin1" account via PHPMyAdmin panel now allows me to login with that account. I can, and did change the Admin1 password and can access ACP.
But no other logins work. Users with "remember me" logins remain logged in unless they logout or attempt something that requires re-auth (like ACP)

All my moderators are reporting cannot login via saved browser passwords using various computers and locations.

Using the manually created Admin1 login, I was able to access ACP using it.
I cleared the cache hoping that would help. When I did, it pinned CPU usage to 100% for 5 minutes and effectively shut down the entire site, including the HTML main site.

Using the working Admin account, I changed Maximum number of login attempts per username to: 50
My hope was this would keep me from resetting my login attempts for testing.

Is there an index on the phpbb_users table?

It would appear that the login screen isn't finding my record and defaults to the max login message even though I've set it to 50.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

your cron.php gives a error 500, ask godaddy why.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
hewmac06
Former Team Member
Name: Hugh

Post by hewmac06 »

bzncrew wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:18 am inmotion hosting said they upgraded PHP from 7.2 to 7.4 last night.

Could that be the cause?
I mention this just in case it helps: A few phpbb versions back I seem to remember reading that if you moved to a higher version of PHP, then later moved back to what it was before, then passwords were lost. Something to do with a change in how passwords were saved at that time.

ADDED: mentioned in this topic: viewtopic.php?p=15539201#p15539201
bzncrew

Post by bzncrew »

I'm thinking it has something to do with the PHP version and encryption.

The CPANEL has PHP set to ver 7.2. This, I assume, is an emulation. Their native version is now 7.4

Users can "Forgot my password" and reset their passwords and they can logon again after following the emailed link to reset password. This, I assume, rewrites the password to the USER record.

I downloaded the board database and loaded it on my local server and everything works fine.
I'm tempted to replace the phpbb_users table on the live site to see it if rebuilds things.

The "change" here is Inmotion updated PHP right before it all broke.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

bzncrew wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:46 am The CPANEL has PHP set to ver 7.2. This, I assume, is an emulation. Their native version is now 7.4
Cpanel supports multiple versions of PHP, it can even be set on per directory basis. How configurable this is depends on what the host allows.

Typically what causes the issue you are experiencing is the php version is upgraded, the passwords get converted using new hashing algo. Then the php version is downgraded to version that doesn't support the password hashing.

Assuming you are using the latest version of phpBB and no other compatibility issues with other web applications log into cpanal and change it to 7.4 or 8 under the MultiPHP Manager section. If you don't have this in the control panel you'll need to contact host.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
bzncrew

Post by bzncrew »

thecoalman wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:08 am
Assuming you are using the latest version of phpBB and no other compatibility issues with other web applications log into cpanal and change it to 7.4 or 8 under the MultiPHP Manager section.

That worked!!!!!

I changed PHP version in CPANEL to 7.4 and logins are now working again.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Apparently when the host upgraded, somehow it messed up my PHP encryption even though it was set in Cpanel to 7.2 all along.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

bzncrew wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:00 pm Apparently when the host upgraded, somehow it messed up my PHP encryption even though it was set in Cpanel to 7.2 all along.
Your host likely forced change to 7.4 either on purpose or by mistake resulting in avalanche of support tickets, then reverted it. Anybody that logged in that time frame would be unable to login after it was reverted.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”