How to edit a parent forum as an admin?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
JonnySilverhand

How to edit a parent forum as an admin?

Post by JonnySilverhand »

So, my friend and I are completely new to phpbb and we created a forum. We figured out how to create a parent forum and sub-forums within it. We are able to edit the content of the sub-forums easily within the forums tab of the board edit, but we are unable to edit the content of the parent forum itself?

We want to change the name and description of the parent forum, but after messing with all the different menus while logged into ACP, we still can't figure it out.

I apologize for the noob question and I would appreciate any help with this.
Last edited by JonnySilverhand on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: How to edit a parent forum as an admin?

Post by thecoalman »

If you mean posts you need to apply permissions. To get an overview of all permissions for all forums:

ACP >> Permissions tab >> Group Forum Permissions link on left >> Check the box "all Forums" and hit submit

On the next page under the "Manage Users" heading in almost all cases there should be no one listed unless you have already assigned permissions to individuals. This is feature for very specific use cases. If anyone is listed here you should consider removing their permissions and reassign them with group permissions with the following directions.

Under "Manage Groups" click the first group to highlight it, scroll down to bottom and while holding shift select the last group. They should all be highlighted now, Click edit permissions.

On the next page you should have a list of all forums and all groups with the permissions assigned. It's advisable to assign roles in all cases and avoid using "advanced permissions". If no role fits your needs either edit a role or create a new one.

The yes/no/never permissions in phpBB roles can be a bit complicated. Users can belong to multiple groups so the no permission can be overridden by yes permissions when they belong to another group with yes permissions. The never permission overrides yes.

Last but not least when creating new forums one of the option you have is to copy permissions from an appropriate forum so you don;t have to go through the process of setting them up every time.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
david63

Post by david63 »

JonnySilverhand wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:25 am We want to change the name and description of the parent forum
ACP > Forums > Click on the green cog wheel opposite the forum that you want to edit then you can change any settings that you want.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
JonnySilverhand

thecoalman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:52 am
Thank you for the detailed response and the shortcut tip. That will save us a lot of time!
Last edited by Mick on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quotes.
JonnySilverhand

david63 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:05 am
JonnySilverhand wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:25 am We want to change the name and description of the parent forum
ACP > Forums > Click on the green cog wheel opposite the forum that you want to edit then you can change any settings that you want.
Yes, I already know about this and was doing this to edit the sub-forums but I was able to make the changes that thecoalman suggested and now I can edit the parent forum too.

Thank you for your response as well!

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”