How to reactivate ancient phpbb 2.0.22 site?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
korey99

How to reactivate ancient phpbb 2.0.22 site?

Post by korey99 »

Hey all-

Many years ago I had a phpbb installation, and after a few years I didn't need it any more. So, I think I made it read-only, but I'm not sure. Well, I'm in the process of retiring old projects, and I thought I'd like to take a look at the content, and maybe grab a static local copy, before shutting it down.

The problem is, somewhere along the line it stopped working. I checked in MySQL, and the tables are still there. I checked the filesystem, and everything looks alright there too. But when I try to visit any php script I get a 500 error. I created a new subdomain on my webhost, uploaded a "fresh" copy of 2.0.22, and it gives me exclusively 500 errors as well. I haven't messed with any of this for more than a decade, so I'm rusty. I checked the credentials in config.php, and they're correct. I made a simple "hello world" php script, and it works fine.

I suspect maybe the old 2.0.22 version doesn't work with PHP 7.4, which is the oldest version I can use on my web host. I got the version number from phpbb_config, where the "version" row reads ".0.22" - so I'm guessing that's 2.0.22. The time period is about right.

Can anyone recommend a procedure to where I can get this back up and running? I thought maybe I could run through the upgrade path to the current version, but since I can't run anything on the existing code I don't know that it'd work, upgrading the tables, etc.

Any ideas?
Last edited by thecoalman on Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Support Forum
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: How to reactivate ancient phpbb 2.0.22 site?

Post by thecoalman »

Download the latest release, extract it and open the docs folder. There is directions for converting a 2.0 forum in INSTALL.html.

When converting/upgrading the php version only needs to be supported by the version you are upgrading too and the latest release supports 7.4+.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”