PDF attachment not automatically on iphone?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
diabloooo

PDF attachment not automatically on iphone?

Post by diabloooo »

I have searched the forum but couldn't find a solution for this, and pretty sure it is something related to phpbb instead the browser, because if I open this pdf link on safari on iPhone (as well as on computer) it opens automatically:

https://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tests/xhtml/t ... /dummy.pdf

if I try to open the same pdf on my forum (I am on 3.3.7) on iphone, I got below popup with only one option to Download:
IMG_2317.jpg
on computer, if open it on Firefox, it does seem to open automatically but I do see a pop up flashed which seems downloaded the pdf. if I open it on Chrome, it also does NOT automatically download or open.

I am not too much worried about the behavior on computer side, but on mobile side, I do expect it to open automatically, because many of my users are not that tech savy, they might be struggling to find the download pdf on cell phone... At least there should be a "Open" button before the "Download" button?
david63

Re: PDF attachment not automatically on iphone?

Post by david63 »

I don't understand what the link you have posted above has to do with phpBB. The way I interpret that link the behavious would appear to be correct/
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
diabloooo

Post by diabloooo »

david63 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:37 pm I don't understand what the link you have posted above has to do with phpBB. The way I interpret that link the behavious would appear to be correct/
Hi, the link is working as expected, that is what I wanted it to happen on phpBB, i.e. open the pdf in browser directly. but on phpbb, it doesn't open the pdf directly, instead it prompts a popup window with only option as Download.
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AlfredoRamos »

diabloooo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:03 pm I do expect it to open automatically, because many of my users are not that tech savy, they might be struggling to find the download pdf on cell phone
That behavior is controlled by the web browser itself, not phpBB.

Usually you can get additional options if you already have an application that can open PDFs, and you have configured your phone to open those files.

You might want to embed the PDF directly, which depending on the browser, you'll get a download button too.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

The pdf opens fine both on my iPhone & iPad using Safari & FF. Are you using Adobe or the native reader? There’s plenty of information available how to make whichever browser/reader you’re using open PDF’s.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
diabloooo

Post by diabloooo »

AlfredoRamos wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:55 pm
diabloooo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:03 pm I do expect it to open automatically, because many of my users are not that tech savy, they might be struggling to find the download pdf on cell phone
That behavior is controlled by the web browser itself, not phpBB.

Usually you can get additional options if you already have an application that can open PDFs, and you have configured your phone to open those files.

You might want to embed the PDF directly, which depending on the browser, you'll get a download button too.
Pretty sure it has something to do with how attachment file is handled on phpbb, because I also have a wordpress site, and I just tried to attach the same dummy.pdf to a wordpress post and I am able to open it directly in Chrome when clicking on the file name, but if I attach the same pdf to my phpbb post and then try to open it in Chrome, it downloads instead of openning the pdf directly in another tab.

What I noticed is this, in Chrome, when I right click on the file name url and Copy Link Address, I see difference:

phpbb: https://xxx/download/file.php?id=57

wordpress: https://xxx/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/dummy-1.pdf

Obviously, the wordpress links to the file directly, while the phpbb post is not, I think that might be what's causing this different behavior.
diabloooo

Post by diabloooo »

Mick wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:19 am The pdf opens fine both on my iPhone & iPad using Safari & FF. Are you using Adobe or the native reader? There’s plenty of information available how to make whichever browser/reader you’re using open PDF’s.
This url https://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tests/xhtml/t ... /dummy.pdf I put in the original post is good, and is how I want it to work on phpbb, but that is to compare with the different behavior in phpbb, sorry for the confusion..
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Ok, so the pdf you want to open automatically is an attachment but the one that ‘works’ isn’t, it’s hosted elsewhere?

I’ve searched here and there are a few topics on the subject with varying success. Have a look and see what you think.

I did see this though if it’s any good to you: viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2513366
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Steve
Name: Steven Clark

Post by Steve »

Wrong post, some how? I was posting in a completely different topic ?? But ended up in this topic when I replied…. Strange as.

The topic got removed from support to custom coding…
@ The Chief Medical Officers guideline for men is that: You are safest not to drink regularly more than 14 units per week.
- I drank that today++ :lol: 🍺

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”