General SQL Error comes up every other minute!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
WWu777

General SQL Error comes up every other minute!

Post by WWu777 »

Dear phpbb support,
In my forum this general SQL error keeps coming up. It happens now almost every other minute. I have to keep reloading the page until it goes away! It's very annoying. What does this mean? How do you fix it? My forum didn't have this problem before. So why now? I asked my webhost support staff, but they have no idea, only general guesses.
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

No such file or directory [2002]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Forum URL if you need to scan it:
https://www.happierabroad.com/forum/index.php
lurttinen
Translator

Re: General SQL Error comes up every other minute!

Post by lurttinen »

That error means there is no database available.
Usually happens when you are installing updates or doing other maintenance that interrupts database server from working.

This is a server side issue. Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Signature is here
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

But in my case, I am not doing any updates or maintenance. Do you know what else causes it? Does some kind of incompatibility cause it?

Yes I tried restarting the server before. It goes away but then comes back and starts again. It happens randomly, but too frequently and gets to be annoying.
Last edited by Mick on Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quotes.
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Could be a hardware issue too. If this is an old server it might have failing hardware.
I'd check if there are any updates available for the database / server software and install them.

I recall and old issue with database server reporting "going away" after it timed out due to DNSBL check set from ACP.

In general, you should not be seeing those two errors unless there is something wrong on the server. :)
Signature is here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

WWu777 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:54 am
In my forum this general SQL error keeps coming up. It happens now almost every other minute. I have to keep reloading the page until it goes away! It's very annoying.
Tried yesterday and today with various browsers and from different countries (different IPs): no problem at all (as anonymous).

You mention "I" ....
Has this been confirmed by other users on your board and have you tried without another account and/or using different browsers and IP's.
Have you tried purging board cache? (and browser cache)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Yes. And my forum members have reported the same error too.

I just upgraded my forum SQL to MariaDB since the SQL version was outdated. Is phpbb compatible with MariaDB? Hope that improves the functionality and reduces these strange error messages.
Last edited by Mick on Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

WWu777 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:09 am Yes. And my forum members have reported the same error too.

I just upgraded my forum SQL to MariaDB since the SQL version was outdated. Is phpbb compatible with MariaDB? Hope that improves the functionality and reduces these strange error messages.
You're replying to a post I made more than a month ago.
For what it's worth, I'm not getting any errors on your board.

And yes phpBB is compatible with MariaDB: see https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... uirements/
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

warmweer wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:40 pm You're replying to a post I made more than a month ago.
For what it's worth, I'm not getting any errors on your board.

And yes phpBB is compatible with MariaDB: see https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... uirements/
My forum index page shows. But as soon as you click on one of the topics, it results in an error. See below:

https://www.happierabroad.com/forum/vie ... 05#p371305
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table './happier2_phpbbbackup/phpbb_posts' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed [144]
Last edited by Mick on Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If you have tables crashing you need to get the host involved, it’s down to them or, as has already been suggested, start looking for another host.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Have you tried optimising the table? (phpMyAdmin or similar - Operations - Table maintenance)

WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

warmweer wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:59 am Have you tried optimising the table? (phpMyAdmin or similar - Operations - Table maintenance)
Yes, but sometimes when I try to optimize it, it causes the table phpbb_posts to crash. It's as if the database is very fragile. This time it crashed when i was pruning spammer profile and while some profiles were being pruned, I opened them because they were people I knew so I wanted to check them, but it was too late. Opening the profiles while they were being pruned somehow caused it to crash again.
Mick wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:32 am If you have tables crashing you need to get the host involved, it’s down to them or, as has already been suggested, start looking for another host.
I did ask my webhost to help. They said to contact the developer (you guys). Like I said, both sides say the problem is the other. lol
Last edited by WWu777 on Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”