Converting to phpBB3

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
justjaneuk

Converting to phpBB3

Post by justjaneuk »

Cant post in the general chat for some reason,so posting here instead.

Shortly my current forum is being converted to phpBB3,so I need to learn those pesky permissions before I do anything else.

Then upload my smilies,then search for themes. php has a LOT of great themes,which is one reason I’m converting. My current forum providers choice of themes is abysmal to say the least.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Converting to phpBB3

Post by warmweer »

justjaneuk wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:08 pm
Shortly my current forum is being converted to phpBB3,so I need to learn those pesky permissions before I do anything else.

Then upload my smilies,then search for themes. php has a LOT of great themes,which is one reason I’m converting. My current forum providers choice of themes is abysmal to say the least.
Are you really "converting"? and if so from which software + in that case there a forum dedicated to convertors (viewforum.php?f=666), and it might be necessary to convert to 3.2 first and then upgrade) (see the 3.2 convertors forum if necessary).

On a side note: your post is a statement, not a support question :roll:
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
justjaneuk

Post by justjaneuk »

So friendly..thanks a lot.. :roll:
KaileyT
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by KaileyT »

I apologize for warmweer's post. The rolling eyes was certainly not warranted.

That said, are you looking for support converting to phpBB or just posting the steps you are taking to help others? I can move you post if appropriate.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

The rolling eyes smiley isn't necessarily condescending or anything. In this case a scratching head would have been more suited (but isn't available), because I wanted to express my lack of understanding of what the OP wants/needs. Is there a problem with the conversion? or is there no convertor available? I could just as well have used the Shocked or Confused smiley but these can also be interpreted in a negative way.
Point was: the OP could give some more information or explicitly ask a (or some) question(s). I (and others) present on the forum will help if/whenever possible (in one way or another : e.g pointing to the convertor forum).
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
justjaneuk

Post by justjaneuk »

kinerity wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:59 pm
I apologize for warmweer's post. The rolling eyes was certainly not warranted.

That said, are you looking for support converting to phpBB or just posting the steps you are taking to help others? I can move you post if appropriate.

Thank you. :) I should have been clearer I suppose. One thing that has put me off phpBB3 in the past is the permissions. So confusing. I’ve managed to find a tutorial though so I shall download a demo and practice. Thing is the demo is only for an hour, which is a shame as I really need longer...is there any way I can have a longer demo? Some forums do one a for a couple of days. If not never mind,I’ll just have to make another one each time.

I have my own hosting and a very clever techy person to help. It’s downloaded in my hosting panel..now all that needs to be done is to press the button.

Does everything get converted as it is? for example users permissions,pm’s,smilies etc? Or do I have to do all that again?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You can use your hosts 1-click installer to make a version to play on. Just delete it when you're ready for real as using the files from here is a better option.

You haven't said what you're converting FROM.

Permissions can be as easy or as hard as you want them to be. There are some very simple pre-set options that will get you the basics. I always use the group forum permissions option as it does what it says. You choose a group, you choose a forum and you choose the permission you want. Everyone is in the registered users group so, for instance, to let them post, choose the reg users, choose the forums, choose standard access. That's it to get you going.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
justjaneuk

Post by justjaneuk »

I’m converting from mybb. I like it..but as I said before, the theme selection is abysmal.

I shall hunt for the 1 click installer. cheers

ps...I like your gardening forum :)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

justjaneuk wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:42 pm
I shall hunt for the 1 click installer. cheers
Why not use a personal webserver (Wamp, Easyphp, USBWebserver, etc...)?

You can have as many versions of phpBB as you want, you control everything and if something goes wrong, re-installing or putting back a backup will be faster than on a live host . It will also be easier to toggle php version if need.

If it's new to you, try USBWebserver (very simple to install) first.
There's a version with php 7.1.11 which is suited for phpBB 3.2 and 3.3. That would allow you to upgrade directly after a successful conversion without the need to switch php version.
justjaneuk

Post by justjaneuk »

It’s installed..so how do I convert my current forum? Will I have to set the permissions again? Does everything get converted?..posts,smilies,pm’s etc? Never done this before. I’m just practising on demos at the moment. Slowly getting the hang of it...

Maybe move this topic to the convertors forum might be better.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Have you seen the Available Converters? Does one of those help?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

justjaneuk wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:55 am
It’s installed..so how do I convert my current forum? Will I have to set the permissions again? Does everything get converted?..posts,smilies,pm’s etc? Never done this before. I’m just practising on demos at the moment. Slowly getting the hang of it...

Maybe move this topic to the convertors forum might be better.
What's installed? Your former board? The convertor? A new phpBB? or the personal webserver?

As to permissions, once converted, recognised permissions from myBB will be converted to phpBB permissions but myBB and phpBB are different so I'm fairly certain you'll have to check (and modify) the converted permissions.
As to the question whether everything will be converted: the answer is: everything possible with the specific converter will be converted, but again: myBB and phpBB are different packages and the conversion will not deliver something ready out of the box. You will have to check and modify the phpBB configuration once the conversion is done.

If the convertor works properly, then the forums, topics, posts, users and user details (perhaps also the PMs) will be there. The myBB smilies and images will be replaced by phpBB assets (if possible), but any files and attachments probably not (if you have those it might be possible to re-attach them to the posts but that's something to worry about once the conversion is successful).

BTW this topic has already been moved to the 3.3 convertor forums, but I haven't checked to see if there is a direct convertor to 3.3 available. If not, you'll have to convert to 3.2 first, and then fix the remaining issues before upgrading to 3.3.

OK, I see Mick posted a link to the page with the available convertors: at first sight you'll have to convert to 3.2
justjaneuk

Post by justjaneuk »

phpBB3 is installed in my hosting panel. So...now what? I think its probably best if I wait for my techy person to appear again. He’s the expert on this kind of thing. If I pressed the wrong button and blew everything up I’d cry until Christmas. :lol:

btw my version of mybb is 1.8
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

justjaneuk wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:37 am
phpBB3 is installed in my hosting panel. So...now what? I think its probably best if I wait for my techy person to appear again. He’s the expert on this kind of thing. If I pressed the wrong button and blew everything up I’d cry until Christmas. :lol:

btw my version of mybb is 1.8
To be honest, I think it's best to do a conversion on personal webserver and once completed, use the phpBB database to populate your new board. (especially since it's the first time). And make sure you have backup of your functional phpBB database :!:

Return to “[3.3.x] Convertors”