Install New phpBB and Import from old VB3 Database

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
rcull

Install New phpBB and Import from old VB3 Database

Post by rcull »

Some years ago, I shut down a VB3 forum on a site. Now I am thinking I would like to resurrect it. When I shut it down I deleted the files, but left the database intact.
Is it possible for me to install a new phpBB and do an import from the old database, or am I just looking for problems?

Thanks
Last edited by thecoalman on Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Convertors forum
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Install New phpBB and Import from old VB3 Database

Post by warmweer »

rcull wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:28 am Some years ago, I shut down a VB3 forum on a site. Now I am thinking I would like to resurrect it. When I shut it down I deleted the files, but left the database intact.
Is it possible for me to install a new phpBB and do an import from the old database, or am I just looking for problems?
A VB database has a structure which differs from that of a phpBB database and will not work.
You'll need to convert!
Search the [3.3.x] Convertors forum for a suitable convertor.
Having said this, depending on your version of VB, a convertor directly to phpBB3.3 may not be available and you may have to convert to an older version of phpBB first. (see the other convertor forums). Once you have a working (older) version of phpBB, it's easy to upgrade to the latest version.

Which version of VB is the database?
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
rcull

Re: Install New phpBB and Import from old VB3 Database

Post by rcull »

I seem to be running: vBulletin 3.8.6 Patch Level 1

I found this viewtopic.php?t=2297826

I am also looking at some expired newer licenses (on the VB site) which I may be able to install or upgrade to before attempting the conversion. Probably, I should attempt an install of VB3, then, if it works, try an upgrade, then a conversion?

Return to “[3.3.x] Convertors”