Please Dont Be Mad!

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Redbear

Please Dont Be Mad!

Post by Redbear »

Hi there,
i tried to post this in the 3.1 support forum but it is locked from further replies,
I'm converting from Xenforo2 to phpbb,
I have done this successfully before using these steps,
Xenforo2 merge with a fresh MyBB 1.7 .. Convert MyBB into phpbb 3.1 using the MyBB convertor function,
it went fine before.

now that im trying this on a different host
It appears the conversion to phpbb from myBB seems to be stuck in a loop trying to check a folder
lstat("/home/wickedgh/public_html/wicked/install/./../images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images/avatars/gallery/wicked/images", ^C{st_mode=S_IFDIR|0777, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
==============================================
even though I read It's the "import_avatar_gallery();" function in "functions_mybb18.php", line 118,
I literally have no idea on how to correct that issue. I have performed this exact same procedure before and have never come up with these problems..
and I don't mind telling you its baffling to me as to why now?
Steve
Name: Steven Clark

Re: Please Dont Be Mad!

Post by Steve »

I’m furious :lol:
What is the suggested php version for the conversion and what php version are you using to convert?
@ The Chief Medical Officers guideline for men is that: You are safest not to drink regularly more than 14 units per week.
- I drank that today++ :lol: 🍺
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Redbear wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:41 pmi tried to post this in the 3.1 support forum but it is locked from further replies
3.1 is no longer supported, I’ve moved this to the convertors forum.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Redbear

Post by Redbear »

Steve wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:43 pm I’m furious :lol:
What is the suggested php version for the conversion and what php version are you using to convert?
Both went fine before on a php 5.6 selected site,

the conversion usually goes from a mybb which can be php 3.6 up to 7.0
with phpbb 3.1 the php version is 5.3 >5.6.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

The likely issue is that the convertor is written for a version of phpBB 3.1 which can use PHP 5.6 but you are trying to run the convertor on phpBB 3.3, which requires PHP 7.1.3+.

So to do this requires a two step process: install phpBB 3.1 somewhere on a machine that supports PHP 5.6. When converted upgrade the board software to phpBB 3.3 following the standard upgrade process.

There are lots of convertors that will only work with this approach. It is possible that the convertor software won't be perfect and there will be data inconsistency anomalies you will need to puzzle through
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
Redbear

Post by Redbear »

MarkDHamill wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:15 am The likely issue is that the convertor is written for a version of phpBB 3.1 which can use PHP 5.6 but you are trying to run the convertor on phpBB 3.3, which requires PHP 7.1.3+.

So to do this requires a two step process: install phpBB 3.1 somewhere on a machine that supports PHP 5.6. When converted upgrade the board software to phpBB 3.3 following the standard upgrade process.

There are lots of convertors that will only work with this approach. It is possible that the convertor software won't be perfect and there will be data inconsistency anomalies you will need to puzzle through
Oh yes, I found that out the first time I tried this before, I had all kinds of fun figuring it out.
As I said I'm running Phpbb 3.1 on a 5.6 php version selected server,
I know how to do the conversion, and I know it works,
but now that I'm trying it with this new hosting it's giving me issues,
halfway through the conversion it goes to
Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
I've converted it before using the same steps at another hosting, It worked on one [hostgator] but not this one [ifastnet or bytthehost] and when I ask them for help they give me the shrug shoulders answer...
I was hoping someone might be able help is all.
Last edited by Redbear on Thu May 12, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Redbear wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:28 am ...
As I said I'm running Phpbb 3.1 on a 3.6 php version selected server,
Just in case: a 3.6 php version?? Is that a typo? (because IIRC the minimum requirement for phpBB 3.1 was php 5.5.x)

I any case: why not try the conversion on a personal webserver?
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Mostly likely the poster meant PHP 5.6.

It's getting hard to find a host that supports PHP 5.6. If you are using PHP 7 or 8 that's likely the cause of the service unavailable error.

So most likely you'll need a version of PHP 5.6 installed locally. XAMPP has such a version you can download. Windows versions are here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/ ... ws/5.6.40/

Afterward, you will need to move the database to your host and do a standard phpBB upgrade to phpBB 3.3.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
Redbear

Post by Redbear »

warmweer wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:26 am
Redbear wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:28 am ...
As I said I'm running Phpbb 3.1 on a 3.6 php version selected server,
Just in case: a 3.6 php version?? Is that a typo? (because IIRC the minimum requirement for phpBB 3.1 was php 5.5.x)

I any case: why not try the conversion on a personal webserver?
you're right it was a typo { I went and corrected }, and my old host <HostGator> doesn't support the 5.6 php version any longer
and unfortunately I do not have the resources < Strong Computer with plenty of RAM & Constant Internet >
which is why I am using Ifastnet hosting,
I have been running the phpbb conversion off a 5.6 php selected server,just this one issue though about the looping of the images folder,everything else is working just fine.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Have you considered converting on a local server?

Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Redbear

Post by Redbear »

Mick wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:34 pm Have you considered converting on a local server?

Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server
I might just have to grab one of my old windows laptops and do just that,
Thank you for the info and help.
Redbear

Post by Redbear »

Okay,
after all this working with Xampp, myBB forums to PhpBB forums still will not convert,
I keep getting errors when trying to convert from the myBB from Xenforo2 and also thru phpbb in Xampp, I do not know enough about Xampp yet to understand if there are any dependencies I should install first to give it what it needs to convert.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

are you using xampp with the proper php version? the latest comes with 7.x or 8.x
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Redbear

Post by Redbear »

Mannix_ wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:22 am are you using xampp with the proper php version? the latest comes with 7.x or 8.x
The proper version would have been xampp 5.6 since I am converting to a phpbb 3.1 from a Mybb,
that was successfully converted from a Xenforo2.

Return to “[3.3.x] Convertors”