Any way to change the color of the background for ACP

For support and discussion related to templates and themes in phpBB 3.3.
durangod
Name: Dave

Any way to change the color of the background for ACP

Post by durangod »

The bright white of the ACP is alittle much for my eyes, all these years looking at displays is finally catching up to me lol...

Is it as simple as just changing some css color codes ? I can do that. From looking at the webtools it looks like its a bit more than just changing body color..
Username is short for durango d (durangodave)
durangod

Re: Any way to change the color of the background for ACP

Post by durangod »

I got it.... adm/style/admin.css

just a few little tweaks and much better on the old eyes :)

changed body to #afaeaa
changed #acp to #e2e0e0
changed fieldset to #e2e0e0

:)
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

You'll be inundated with people telling you

a/ you can't do that and
b/ you'll need an extension and
c/ you shouldn't touch admin styles anyway.

Me? I think "Good for you. Go for it."
🇺🇦 Слава Україні! 🇺🇦 Героям слава! 🇺🇦
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

Remember that you will need to reapply those changes when you update your board in the future, and Yes it would be better to use an extension to eliminate the hassle of reapplying it Gumboots ;)
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

The simplest solution: You buy glasses with tinted lenses (If you already have glasses, then a clip - like me right now) and white is no longer white. The other colors, however, remain almost the same except gray.
But the problem is usually a bad screen or graphics card (as in my case just now).

My opinion / wish: in later phpBB version e.g. 4.0.0 there should be a possibility to customize / select the admin area. Light-medium-dark. That would be the optimal one. But I guess that's a wish in the stars :) (Maybe someday someone will make an extension for that?).
More of my styles you can find in my phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.
🎨 All my styles are updated to 3.3.8 and can be downloaded here
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:25 am Remember that you will need to reapply those changes when you update your board in the future, and Yes it would be better to use an extension to eliminate the hassle of reapplying it Gumboots ;)
In theory, yes, if you can get someone to write an extension that does exactly what you want it to do*, and if you can get them to write it in a time frame that is meaningful to you.

I'm not arguing that extensions are useless, or that they are always a bad thing. What am I saying is that the default coding was not working for durangod, so he went ahead and changed it so it worked for him, and it works for him right now, and this is a good thing. No need to wait while someone decides they might like to code an extension that does exactly this. Which, quite frankly, would probably be an extremely long wait in this particular case.

To my mind this is better than putting up with it not working for him the way it was. Obviously he will need to re-apply the code after updating, but that is a trivial matter and there are ways of making it even easier.

*Therein lies a problem, for some people anyway. The site I'm looking after runs several extensions, but I've had to re-write the presentation in all of them to get them the way I want them. Which I don't really mind doing. I generally find it easy enough and quite fun. But it's definitely not a case of "just install an extension".

Bottom line: I think people should use extensions where they make sense, but (assuming their skills are up to it) should also not be afraid of directly customising code where that makes sense. Do bear in mind that the whole rationale behind the invention of CSS was so that people could easily change presentation whenever they wanted to. To pretend that default CSS is somehow sacred and not to be touched is to be diametrically opposed to the original thinking behind CSS.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

Gumboots wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:28 am
Mannix_ wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:25 am Remember that you will need to reapply those changes when you update your board in the future, and Yes it would be better to use an extension to eliminate the hassle of reapplying it Gumboots ;)
In theory, yes, if you can get someone to write an extension that does exactly what you want it to do*, and if you can get them to write it in a time frame that is meaningful to you.

I'm not arguing that extensions are useless, or that they are always a bad thing. What am I saying is that the default coding was not working for durangod, so he went ahead and changed it so it worked for him, and it works for him right now, and this is a good thing. No need to wait while someone decides they might like to code an extension that does exactly this. Which, quite frankly, would probably be an extremely long wait in this particular case.

To my mind this is better than putting up with it not working for him the way it was. Obviously he will need to re-apply the code after updating, but that is a trivial matter and there are ways of making it even easier.

*Therein lies a problem, for some people anyway. The site I'm looking after runs several extensions, but I've had to re-write the presentation in all of them to get them the way I want them. Which I don't really mind doing. I generally find it easy enough and quite fun. But it's definitely not a case of "just install an extension".

Bottom line: I think people should use extensions where they make sense, but (assuming their skills are up to it) should also not be afraid of directly customising code where that makes sense. Do bear in mind that the whole rationale behind the invention of CSS was so that people could easily change presentation whenever they wanted to. To pretend that default CSS is somehow sacred and not to be touched is to be diametrically opposed to the original thinking behind CSS.
I get your points but in this situation it's is literately 3 files to make extension to apply those changes, it is very basic one so anyone can do it also there are already extensions that let you add your own code (css/html/js) via acp so you don't need to download-change-upload-clear cache, hell there is even an extension that styles acp differently and i think someone made a style specifically for acp to make it dark
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:43 am...also there are already extensions that let you add your own code (css/html/js) via acp so you don't need to download-change-upload-clear cache, hell there is even an extension that styles acp differently and i think someone made a style specifically for acp to make it dark
Ok, these may well exist. I'm not saying you're wrong here. But, having read your reply I went to the Extensions DB and entered "acp" in search, then went through all of the resulting 439 hits.

You may well be right about these extensions you refer to, but I couldn't find them in the Extensions DB with that search term. I'm thinking they may be hard for anyone else to find too, which is going to limit their utility.

By the way, I think this is relevant to what we're talking about:
i think someone made a style specifically for acp to make it dark
Some people like making their own styles. Yes, weird, I know, but some people are crazy like that. Such people are not going to want to write extensions every time they want to tweak presentation. They have a different approach, and I'm fairly sure you're not wanting to discourage people from experimenting with styles.
durangod

Post by durangod »

I do agree that there needs to be a way to change the ACP for a non bright option, call it dark if you will. As i get older 55 now, it seems i am beginning to suffer the effects of long term display viewing which i have done for many years. Most of those years not knowing proper eye care or even caring about it really, but i wish i had. Bright screens really bother me now and i even have to put browsers on 110 - 125 percent so i dont strain my eyes so badly. It all catches up to you over the years.

Here are some tips if you dont know about them and want to help your eyes for the long run.

1. When you get blury vision (double vision) it typically means that your eyes are getting strained and you need to take a break for 20 min and blink, coders forget to blink and your eye muscles get strained just like any other muscle. When you focus on coding for so long and on a white screen it really makes your eyes work harder.

2. If you use eye drops and it burns then use more (thats what the dr. told me). It means that your eyes are really dry just like dry cracked skin and it will burn at first, just put more eye drops and it will feel better in time.

3. During your 20 min break from the display, focus on something that is about 15-20 ft away from you for a bit, this will get your eye muscles refocused at a longer distance and so when you go back to the display it will look better.

4. Use a darker color on pages and when using code editors, and remember that eyes can strain reading text that is at poor contrast as well. When coders code they really dont worry about contrast that much they just use colors that look good typically.. But here is a great site and something to consider when you are coding text color and background color on a page... it really does make a huge difference. https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/

5. If you use Cpanel file manager,m did you know they have dark code editor themes.... They use ace editor first you have to know the control sequence to get the menu popup, it is differnt for dif systems. Just go here https://github.com/ajaxorg/ace/wiki/Def ... -Shortcuts
or you can get there also by clicking on keyboard shortcuts at the top of your Cpanel editor.

Once you know the control sequence keys to press (mine is control comma), then you press that sequence and a menu will pop up. Then you just choose the them. Cpanel does not have this on the menu yet, and you do have to set it for every edited page... but it is nice to have it.

6. Be sure to see your eye doctor regularly as they can spot problems early and help you take care of your eyes. Think about how much stress you put on your eyes coding and doing anything during the day... take care of them.... :)

I hope this helps someone... :)
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

durangod wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:44 pm3. During your 20 min break from the display, focus on something that is about 15-20 ft away from you for a bit, this will get your eye muscles refocused at a longer distance and so when you go back to the display it will look better.
Rolling your eyes is also good. Gets the muscles loosened up, like having a good stretch.
4. ...But here is a great site and something to consider when you are coding text color and background color on a page... it really does make a huge difference. https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/
Everyone messing with presentation should have that bookmarked. WebAIM is a really handy site.
5. If you use Cpanel file manager, did you know they have dark code editor themes...
I use their dark theme for the main control panel, but I've never seen a dark theme for the file manager or code editor. How did you get this?
durangod

Post by durangod »

Gumboots wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:54 pm I use their dark theme for the main control panel, but I've never seen a dark theme for the file manager or code editor. How did you get this?
Its already part of cPanel so you should already have it. Here is a link to the instructions i got from cPanel when i learned about it.

https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/does- ... or.665413/
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Hmm. Ok, it works, but you have to go through the whole rigmarole every time you open the editor. Pity it won't save a theme preference, and it's a particularly awkward shortcut on Windows. Crl- is browser zoom, and it's hard to hit Ctrl-, simultaneously so I end up with mini text that I then have to zoom back to standard. TBH it's almost as easy to download to desktop, edit in your preferred theme on your preferred editor, then up the edited file. If they can revamp cPanel so it saves your selected editor theme, that would make it worthwhile having.
durangod

Post by durangod »

+1 Gumboots lets hope since its new that they are making sure its a good fit for cPanel first and then add it to the UI to make it easier to use. I still use it every day, i just cant look at those white editor pages it burns my eyes.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Hey here's a trick you might like. I just thought of this (a bit slow sometimes) so gave it a quick test.

Get yourself a browser extension like Stylus, or Stylish, or Stylem, depending on which browser you favour. They all do much the same thing. They let you easily enter custom CSS overrides for any site or page. You can use this to get yourself a dark theme on the cPanel File Manager.

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document url("https://yourdomain.com:2083/cpsess**********/frontend/paper_lantern/filemanager/index.html") {
  body {
    background-color: #191919;
  }
  #rightNavArea select, #rightNavArea input, #btnSettings, #topnav, #subleft, #subright {
    filter: invert(.9);
  }
  .ygtvtn::before, .diricon .fa-folder {
    color: #eeae4a;
    color: #eebe73;
  }
  .diricon .fa-file-code, .diricon .fa-file-alt {
    opacity: .8;
  }
}
That's all you need. It's basic, but it's dark, and it's dark all the time once you set it up. It could easily be tweaked further if you wanted a bit more refinement to the styling here and there.

I also tried a similar trick with the file editor, in the hope that getting a persistent dark style there would be as easy, but it doesn't seem to work on that. I suspect all the styling in the file editor is done via js or something even stranger, so CSS overrides don't seem to be working for the editor and you'll still have to do the shortcuts rigmarole there.
durangod

Post by durangod »

Gumboots thats just pretty dang cool... kudos on that one :)

I have had windows 10 for many years and just leaned tonight that they have a dark theme as well... lol oh the torture to my eyes i could have saved over the years.... sad sad.... i really like it, it looks like a dark car dashboard in a way and its so much better to look at..

Is in personalizion and then colors... maybe i should dig alittle bit into windows 10 maybe i might find something else lol

Maybe i should peek outside, are there still hippies blocking my driveway going to that huge concert in the field lol :)

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles Support & Discussion”