Improving Pagespeed score

For support and discussion related to templates and themes in phpBB 3.3.
funtent

Improving Pagespeed score

Post by funtent »

Like https://www.phpbb.com/community/, my forum scores consistently under 60/100 on Pagespeed, and often under 50/100. I run Google AdSense, thus (part of) the discrepancy. Otherwise, the differences between my forum and phpbb.com/community/ are small.

The #1 suggestion to improve is to fix/eliminate font-awesome.min.css.

font-awesome-render-block.gif
Run this test yourself: https://developers.google.com/speed/pag ... mmunity%2F

Removing

Code: Select all

<link href="{T_FONT_AWESOME_LINK}" rel="stylesheet">
from my theme's overall_header.html file de-styles pages.

Is there some other way of removing this styling? I understand many icons will disappear. I'm ok with that and will work around it. Scoring well on Pagespeed is more important to me than the luxury of nice icons. I understand and accept the consequences.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Re: Improving Pagespeed score

Post by Mannix_ »

I tested my page and first time i got 41 points next time got 71 points didn't change a single thing between the runs so idk how credible is that tool
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-My Styles-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HexagonHexagonRebornCleanSilverProject Durango
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Need help with styling or want me to port a style to 3.3.x etc. contact me here or here.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
AbaddonOrmuz
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AbaddonOrmuz »

There are other ways to improve the score by doing some adjustments on your server, like enabling the Brotli compression, add cache headers for images, minify all assets (JS, CSS) with the PageSpeed module for Apache or Nginx, etc.

I would suggest to use gtmetrix.com instead, it provides more useful recommendations.

Just note that it's just a recommendation, you won't be able to get a perfect score.

Not even Google follows their own recommendations :lol:
Some of my phpBB extensions:
Image Imgur | :chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :lock: Auto-lock Topics
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user :penguin:
Forex Station

Post by Forex Station »

If you purge your cache right before you do that test, then run the test twice you'll get even better results :lol:

Without doing that, i'll always get 68 for mobile and 87 for desktop. I use GTmetrix and Pingdom as well for speed testing.

Mine use to be terrible but what I did is make sure my header image is compressed using tinypng.com and also all the icons. I disabled Google fonts, and made our "User Ranks" text only and also enabled Gzip compression and this helped bump up our speed significantly.
Proudly powered by phpBB for almost 4 years now: forex-station.com :mrgreen:
Global Alexa rank: 40,500

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles Support & Discussion”