Changing Colors CSS files

For support and discussion related to templates and themes in phpBB 3.3.
Revelle

Changing Colors CSS files

Post by Revelle »

Hi! I'm new to coding and very frustrated right now. I never thought it'd be so difficult to change a hover color. Honestly, every time I've tried to edit a css file's colors.... nothing has changed. I'm so confused as to why I'm able to change a bunch of html colors (for extentions, themes, etc.) and nothing translate to the site. I even followed step by step the extention maker instructions when I was trying to do that.

Honestly I just want the red color gone. And IDK how to make that happen. Hopefully you can help.

HERE'S WHAT I'VE DONE

In both the theme that I'm using (public_html/styles/mystyle/theme/colours.css) and prosilver (public_html/styles/prosilver/theme/colour.css) I have edited all of the red #BC2A4D and replaced it with #859398. Below are the 8 instances I changed it in mystyle, though some of the instances in prosilver were different.... I still changed all of those the same way.

Code: Select all

.icon.icon-red, a:hover .icon.icon-red {
	color: #859398;
}

.error {
}

div.rules {
	background-color: #ECD5D8;
}

p.post-notice {
	background-color: #ECD5D8;
	background-image: none;
	border-color: #859398;
}

.posthilit {
	background-color: #F3BFCC;
}

dd.profile-warnings {
}

.pmlist li.pm_message_reported_colour, .pm_message_reported_colour {
	border-left-color: #859398;
	border-right-color: #859398;
}
  • I changed these codes using notepad++.

I uploaded them to my cpanel (I believe the cpanel is siteground's "site tools" at least)

Replaced the old files

Cleared my cache on phpbb, made sure the "Recompile stale style components" was "yes" (as far as I'm aware, clearing the cache and enabling that setting are redundant, but I tried them both anyway.)

I cleared my cache on google chrome.

I even tried an incognito tab.
Hover is still red.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Re: Changing Colors CSS files

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Hello,

Can you provide a link to your forum so I can check your code?

Revelle

Post by Revelle »

Well. This is convenient. I'm using MilkV2 lol.

www.elioris.com
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Use your browser's Web Developer tools (Inspector). Select something with a hover and you'll see which style elements (and file) are used. You can even edit those temporarily to see the effects (without having to edit the css files directly).
Usually it will become clear which file and element affects what and how.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Revelle

Post by Revelle »

I'm not very savvy with those. While I did manage to change the colors of the non-hovered thing, it was in the html code. There was no reference of hover, even when I clicked on the spoiler itself. Is there a way to get css code with the F12 menu?
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member

Revelle wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:42 pm
Well. This is convenient. I'm using MilkV2 lol.
Thanks! Your support helps keep a roof over my head, and funded a delicious chicken noodle soup this night. So I am grateful :mrgreen:

I'm wondering if this is as simple as the CSS being stuck in your browser cache. Have you tried clearing your browser cache (Ctrl+F5 or CMD+R)?
Revelle

Post by Revelle »

Yes. Multiple times. It appears the "forum rules" have successfully changed colors.... finally. I even tried opening in incognito chrome. But the hover color hasn't changed and I have no idea why x_x

here is a direct link to a post with the spoiler hover being red if it helps https://elioris.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=7
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member

It looks like the browser's trying to pull a custom link colour from the spoiler BBCode, but the hex colour value is incomplete: https://gyazo.com/07acf8aea06c9b64c17dc60777ce7049

This value needs to be either 3 or 6 characters after the hash, no more, no less :)
Revelle

Post by Revelle »

I couldn't find that, but I did find the red color goign through the code trying to find it, and I managed to find the file and fix it! And it worked!

Thank you for your help!

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles Support & Discussion”