Prevent horizontal scrollbars on thumbnails-responsive e.q. IE11

For support and discussion related to templates and themes in phpBB 3.3.
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, even if IE11 currently accounts for around 5% of usage worldwide, since when the bug in the phpBB software for thumbnails "started" (?).

My observation shows that those smaller than 701px of a resolution are no longer displayed responsively. The graphics *)
(width into postbody for dl.thumbnail dt a img) are "cut off"(!). Why ... :?

I would be reluctant to exclude the users of that browser and deliver a horizontal scrollbar. Is the thought necessary or should it be filed?

My simple personal solution is - at this moment:
prosilver
content.css / custom.css (???)
=>

Code: Select all

/* Prevent horizontal scrollbars on thumbnails-responsive e.q. IE11 not working anymore smaller 701px so we need a workaround content-css
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- */
dl.thumbnail dt a img {
	width: 100%;
	height: auto;
}
I cannot see any conflicts with other browsers, I can't see any disadvantages. Does anyone have experience that approaches the solution in a different way?

Thank you for your feedback and best regards

Edit: *)
Gumboots

Re: Prevent horizontal scrollbars on thumbnails-responsive e.q. IE11

Post by Gumboots »

Better to use max-width. That way any images smaller than the screen width won't get stretched beyond their natural size. ;)
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I would have thought that too. The curiosity is that max-width no longer works in IE11 at that position. This instruction is already available in prosilver for thumbnails, look

content.css line 276

and is no longer taken into account at that position in IE11 (*prosilver). Since when that happened and why I can't say exactly. There must have been a declaration that made the function smaller than 701px for thumbnails broken. I can't find any other solution than "width" to prevent the scrollbar and to output the graphics smaller than 701px responsive.
Hint: The scrollbar is displayed above the signature, provided that thumbnails have been declared.

* Tested with phpBB 3.3.0, 3.3.1
** Probably since phpBB 3.3.0 ... (or earlier ???).

Thanks and regards

Addendum: I cannot recognize conflicts with other browsers when I use this code (startpost). Unfortunately, I am unsure and better ask again. :)
david63

Post by david63 »

Bear in mind that IE11 is not fully supported in phpBB - https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 31&t=74736
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

I have suspicion it might be related to .postbody being set to auto width below 700px. Maybe IE11 can't figure out how to relate to auto when it needs to find 100%. That's the only real difference in responsive.css between >701px and <700px.

Have you tried max-width calc(100% - 20px) so it takes account of the side padding on the .post/.bg1/.bg2 div?
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello david63, I know that.

The question remains, what change led to the conflict that was not permanent and has only emerged for a relatively short period of time. Nor did I know of IE11's declaration
.postbody img.postimage {
max-width: 100%;
-webkit-box-sizing: border-box;
-moz-box-sizing: border-box;
box-sizing: border-box;
}
could not / cannot implement. Especially since (unexpectedly for me) only the thumbnails (class thumbnail) in this context are affected.

Hello Gumboots, yes, I also tried calc and so on. In the course of a week I tried a lot and only came to the result that I mentioned and it seems to be suitable.
My guess or the impression is also that the changes in responisive.css may be decisive and that a CSS approach and/or perhaps "Media Queries" may have been forgotten. I go in circles in that context.

Thanks @ALL and regards
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Ok. I didn't realise you had been trying things for a week. :D I haven't spent a week looking at it, but from looking around last might there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the media queries. It's probably just Internet Exploder being up to its old tricks again. IE11 on <700px would have to be a vanishingly rare use case, and a scrollbar on thumbnails isn't critical for usability, so I'm not sure it's worth worrying about.

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles Support & Discussion”