Quick Links Default Icons

For support and discussion related to templates and themes in phpBB 3.3.
JackMorton

Quick Links Default Icons

Post by JackMorton »

Can anyone tell me where the default icons for Quick Links and FAQ, etc., are stored? Like the hamburger icon, the question mark circle for FAQ...I want to alter one and can't find the icon under any icons folder
david63

Re: Quick Links Default Icons

Post by david63 »

They are not icons as such but are from FontAwesome

If you want to change them then you will need to edit core code
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

They aren't stored, phpBB uses Font Awesome. If you want to change icon or add icon to some custom links you need to edit HTML. For example if you open the template navbar_header.html there is this line for quick links:

Code: Select all

<i class="icon fa-bars fa-fw" aria-hidden="true"></i><span>{L_QUICK_LINKS}</span>
fa-bars sets the bars. The different icons are referenced here:

https://fontawesome.com/v4.7.0/cheatsheet/

Be sure to purge the cache after editing templates.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

If you want to use an image instead of fa icon try this
viewtopic.php?p=15617326#p15617326 to make your changes
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-My Styles-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HexagonHexagonRebornCleanSilverProject Durango
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Need help with styling or want me to port a style to 3.3.x etc. contact me here or here.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Actually you don't need to edit the HTML. You can do it by editing the CSS instead. The pseudo element content is defined by CSS anyway, so it can be overridden by specific custom CSS. I only thought of this last night, but it will work, and will save having to do a few markup hacks I'd been using. As long as the custom CSS is organised and commented, this should be a better alternative.

Taking the markup quoted above, if you used something like #quick-links .fa-file-o::before {content: '\f0fc ';} you'd get the beer icon displaying instead of the default file icons.

Edit: To clarify - if I had to alter the markup around the icons anyway, for whatever reason, then I think it would make more sense to edit the class of the i tag so that you weren't messing with FA CSS unnecessarily. If you just need to hit a few icons in a template (or extension) that you otherwise don't want to touch, I'd be looking for the most concise descendant that would nail it.

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles Support & Discussion”