A question about child style

For support and discussion related to templates and themes in phpBB 3.3.
DV1

A question about child style

Post by DV1 »

I'm going to be designing a dark mode (DM) style in order to bypass some issues with browser DM as noted on another topic. I've already modified Prosilver to the look that I have currently. If all that is going to be changed are the colors then am I correct in that the only theme element that I need to include is colours.css along with license.txt. and style.cfg? Thus, everything else inherited?

By the way, the modifications I did were on Prosilver directly. I have a file on PC with the original files for backup/reference. So this would be just Prosilver and child style in the styles server folder.

Thank You
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Re: A question about child style

Post by ssl »

Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.16
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
DV1

Post by DV1 »

Yes, 'template inheritance'. That's what I needed to clarify since I had done some modifications directly on base Prosilver.
Steve
Name: Steven Clark

Post by Steve »

@ The Chief Medical Officers guideline for men is that: You are safest not to drink regularly more than 14 units per week.
- I drank that today++ :lol: 🍺
DV1

Post by DV1 »

@Steve

When I used to use others' styles in the past I would always check the discussion section for the style. The one you've linked to has various issues and the responses to them seem vague.

For some time now it's been easier for me to just modify Prosilver directly while of course keeping a backup of Prosilver's original coding. In my case it was simply colours.css and maybe common.css and content.css as the key files for change.

Seeing the different styles people come up with is fun and can certainly add something to those who choose to use them; I used to do that myself. But now it's just easier for me to modify a file or two to get what I want and don't have to wait for designer's to update the style.

But again, I like seeing the different styles designers come up with. And now and then if I find some detail particularly interesting, well, it's just a matter of coding, isn't it? :D

Cheers
Jodi-86

Post by Jodi-86 »

DV1 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:50 pm @Steve

When I used to use others' styles in the past I would always check the discussion section for the style. The one you've linked to has various issues and the responses to them seem vague.
Steve has linked you to an extension, not a style,
DV1

Post by DV1 »

@Jodi-86

Yes, I referred to it as a style but it is an extension. And that extension has some issues with it.

That's why I figured it best for myself to make a dark mode child style.

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles Support & Discussion”