Automatic Daylight Savings Time (DST)

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
MartectX
Translator

Re: Automatic Daylight Savings Time (DST)

Post by MartectX » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:34 am

ReDaLeRt_PT wrote:This MOD works correctly with phpBB 3.0.2?
Thus far no problems. I'd say it should work! :)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:15 am

phpbb3 already offers this in the admin panel and in the users profile settings.
there is a radio button to choose that will automatically do DST for the users if they click it.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.
Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

New phpbb 3.0 support site

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:36 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:phpbb3 already offers this in the admin panel and in the users profile settings.
there is a radio button to choose that will automatically do DST for the users if they click it.

robert
No, that's not automatic but manual functionality. Users / Admins have to change those settings once DST isn't applicable any more (and then again when it's the other way round and so on...).

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:51 am

There's an improved version in the works, anyone interested may download it here: http://mods.martectx.de/automatic_dst_1.0.2.zip

Description:
Allows users to choose Daylight Savings Time (DST) automatically instead of having to set it twice a year. The basis for this adjustment are the web server's time settings.
Guests will be affected by the DST option in the board settings. Newly registering users will inherit this setting should they live in the board's native time zone.

Version info:
  • Much improved code
  • Allow users to force DST
  • Now supports MOD Version Check
  • (ModX 1.2.1)

Mickey14

Post by Mickey14 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:19 am

Hi,

great MOD!

I have a suggestion, however: what about a 4th option in the user ACP: "Use the board settings for DST".

With this one, as soon as an admin as set the board DST (manually or through the automatic feature), every user having chosen to accept the DST settings from the board will be correctly set up.

I thought of this because my server is in the US (and obeys the DST settings for the zone it is located into) but my board is mainly targetted to West European people (in where the DST does not necessarily obey the same rules as where the server is). So the automatic feature does not really match, but a way to allow user to follow the board settings should be great!

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:07 am

Mickey14 wrote:With this one, as soon as an admin as set the board DST (manually or through the automatic feature), every user having chosen to accept the DST settings from the board will be correctly set up.
That's not an option as I want to eliminate manual switching which would still have to be done in this case (even if only by the administrator).

Mickey14

Post by Mickey14 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:16 am

OK, I understand.

But so, all your users need to be in the same zone as the server, otherwise, each user need again to change the DST by themeselves.

Maybe another, separate, mod may do what I spoke about.

Thanks anyway.

Toffmonster

Post by Toffmonster » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:38 am

Hello. Using version 1.0.2. I've noticed that the setting "Enable Automatic Summer Time/DST: Yes/No" in ACP doesn't do anything for me. Guests have DST enabled regardless of whether it's set to "Yes" or "No". And the only way to disable DST for registered users is to set it to "No" in UCP. "Automatic" setting in UCP enables DST again regardless of whether the ACP setting is set to "Yes" or "No". Bug? Or does this MOD make that ACP option obsolete?
P.S.: I also think it'd be nice to have a fourth option to use board DST settings, as my forum also has members from different continents while the server only works on EST. And then maybe sometime in the future, if the goal is to make DST changes totally automatic, this MOD will learn to detect European DST depending on the timezone set by each user and apply the corresponding setting automatically. ;)

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:00 am

Toffmonster wrote:Hello. Using version 1.0.2. I've noticed that the setting "Enable Automatic Summer Time/DST: Yes/No" in ACP doesn't do anything for me. Guests have DST enabled regardless of whether it's set to "Yes" or "No".
You'll have to set it to "automatic" for the anonymous user!
Toffmonster wrote:And the only way to disable DST for registered users is to set it to "No" in UCP. "Automatic" setting in UCP enables DST again regardless of whether the ACP setting is set to "Yes" or "No". Bug? Or does this MOD make that ACP option obsolete?
Yes, the only way in which the ACP option is used is for newly registered users.
Toffmonster wrote:P.S.: I also think it'd be nice to have a fourth option to use board DST settings, as my forum also has members from different continents while the server only works on EST.
I can see the advantages in that but as I said - I don't want anyone on my board to have any more thoughts on that stupid DST subject and that includes me as the administrator!
Toffmonster wrote:And then maybe sometime in the future, if the goal is to make DST changes totally automatic, this MOD will learn to detect European DST depending on the timezone set by each user and apply the corresponding setting automatically. ;)
This would be the ideal solution indeed, but I don't see it happening before phpBB3.2. :)

Toffmonster

Post by Toffmonster » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:18 pm

MartectX wrote:You'll have to set it to "automatic" for the anonymous user!
I did, that's why it is always enabled. I suppose because the server still has DST enabled. I can't change the time on the server to check if that's the case, need to wait till November 2nd. :P
Yes, the only way in which the ACP option is used is for newly registered users.
Ah, okay, thanks, this basically was my main question. Could you, please, describe in what way does it influence newly registered users? Users have 3 options - Yes/No/Automatic. If in ACP it's set to "Yes", a new user will inherit "Automatic" option, right? And if in ACP it's set to "No"?

And anyway, thanks a lot for this MOD! :]

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:34 pm

Toffmonster wrote:Could you, please, describe in what way does it influence newly registered users? Users have 3 options - Yes/No/Automatic. If in ACP it's set to "Yes", a new user will inherit "Automatic" option, right? And if in ACP it's set to "No"?
Newly registering users will inherit the "automatic" setting should they live in the board's native time zone, otherwise the default will be "no".

Mårten Berglund

Post by Mårten Berglund » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:58 am

I've made a slightly simpler version here:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p7515015

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:21 am

Mårten Berglund wrote:I've made a slightly simpler version here:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p7515015
Those three replace actions will neither adjust the DST setting for every date that is displayed nor will they change language strings. Validated "Automatic DST" 1.0.1 uses the same amount of edit actions and is guaranteed to work.

updown

Post by updown » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:51 am

HI Martect,

both versions need a little workaround 8-)

E.g. for the birthday-list also changes are necessary:

in index.php

Code: Select all

// Generate birthday list if required ...
$birthday_list = '';
$bd_list_ary = array();
if ($config['load_birthdays'] && $config['allow_birthdays'])
{
	$now = getdate(time() + $user->timezone + (($user->dst == 2) ? date('I') : $user->dst) - date('Z'));
etc etc etc.

And also be aware that these MOD-changes to user->dst also affect other MODs like lefty74's "Email on Birthday", "Birthday Ahead List", "User Reminder" or Nickvergessen's "Who was here" Mod, that use the standard-logic of userdst and board-dst!

The perfect solution would be a seperate value in the users-table for automatic-DST (not the user->dst itself!), and a script that checks for date('I')-changes (with a config entry) and updates every users-dst-setting twice a year) where the seperate automatic-DST-entry is set to '1' - the same for board-setting.

wolfman24

Post by wolfman24 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:29 am

updown wrote:The perfect solution would be a seperate value in the users-table for automatic-DST (not the user->dst itself!), and a script that checks for date('I')-changes (with a config entry) and updates every users-dst-setting twice a year) where the seperate automatic-DST-entry is set to '1' - the same for board-setting.
This is exactly what came up to my mind and I was thinking if I can find a way to implement this. But currently I do not have enough time to look deeply into it.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”