Topic Text in Mouse Over

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
austin881
Name: Austin Maddox

Re: Topic Text in Mouse Over

Post by austin881 »

So I just noticed that if you move a topic and leave a shadow topic in place (which is basically a link to the topics actual location) this mod behaves strangely.

The shadow topic has the "title" of the topic above it. Could this be fixed to show the correct title? Or if not, at least display no title on shadow topics? Please do some testing of "moving" topics so you can see what I mean. I'm not sure if this screenshot will help explain it or not.
Unexpected Title On Moved Topics
Unexpected Title On Moved Topics
shadowtopictitle.jpg (39.41 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
One other thing- Does this mod slow down page loading times considerably or is it just me? I thought it slowed down my page load time when I installed it for topics and then noticed it again when I made the changes for the search pages too.

Great mod anyhow! I do love it and appreciate your work.
Last edited by austin881 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Available for paid phpBB help! PM me.

My Extensions/MODS: 475 Narius Categorized Smilies for phpBB3, Simplified & Compacted All-Members page, Flash Animated Cumulus Tag Cloud, "Hello" Name Tag of Newest User, AWS S3
phpBB portfolio: chevy truck forum, chevy astro van forum

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

wang5555 wrote:

Code: Select all

// BEGIN Topic Post Text Hover Mod
			'FIRST_POST_TEXT_HOVER'		=> (isset($hover_first_post)) ? censor_text($hover_first_post) : '',
			'LAST_POST_IMG'				=> (!empty($hover_last_post)) ? $user->img('icon_topic_latest', $hover_last_post) : $user->img('icon_topic_latest', 'VIEW_LATEST_POST'),
:? thought I had changed that...thanks.
muggins wrote:Rich, for some reason I expected this to work on the index page as well. :oops:
As this mod is now developing into a sort of board wide thing, I'll take a look at a more complete integration. Complete = easier (aka less involved file edits) ;) Won't be for a while though.
austin881 wrote:So I just noticed that if you move a topic and leave a shadow topic in place (which is basically a link to the topics actual location this mod behaves strangely.
Whoops, bug....see above.
One other thing- Does this mod slow down page loading times considerably or is it just me? I thought it slowed down my page load time when I installed it for topics and then noticed it again when I made the changes for the search pages too.
As there are additional sql being pulled...may slow down the page a tad. I wouldn't think a lot though.
Great mod anyhow! I do love it and appreciate your work.
Thank you for your kind words!! :D
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Well I got around to looking at the mod and made some improvements.

You can find the new mod here unfortunately, there is no change log as I basically rewrote the mod, so you will have to uninstall the older version and install the new version. Pay particular mind to the SQL update...there's a new field added.

Some items of interest
  1. Option of showing either the first or the last post or both of a topic in tooltip mouse over added in ACP
  2. Completely integrated in search.php, includes/functions_display.php, and viewforum.php
  3. Also works for "shadowed" topics
In order to keep this thread as clean as possible, please provide feedback (positive or negative) here (guest posting is allowed).

Thanks, looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks. :)
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer

rtadams89

Post by rtadams89 »

Nice mod. However, I think the popup tooltip should be done with CSS. The title attribute that is currently used to produce the tooltip gets handled differently by some browsers. Some browsers (particularly old browsers, don't actually display the contents of the title attribute in a popup. Additionally, this doesn't work very well with screen reader programs as many will try to read the contents of the title attribute out loud. Finally, in Internet Explorer, the tooltip will only stay for a limited amount of time. After that, the tooltip disappears. This often occurs before the topic text can be read.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

:)

Yep, that is planned for the next release. Either css or javascript...probably go with css. ;)

Eragon

Post by Eragon »

Topic Text Hover - 1.0.2

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_IF, expecting ')' in /zxc.net/htdocs/includes/functions_display.php on line 103
line 103

if ($config['hover_active'])
thanks

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Eragon wrote:Topic Text Hover - 1.0.2

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_IF, expecting ')' in /zxc.net/htdocs/includes/functions_display.php on line 103
line 103

if ($config['hover_active'])
thanks
Post the 10 or so lines prior to that line

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

RMcGirr83 wrote::)

Yep, that is planned for the next release. Either css or javascript...probably go with css. ;)
..and done. If people would go hover around my forum, I would appreciate it.

rtadams89

Post by rtadams89 »

Good. Only one problem. There are still the default popups which present info such as "no new posts." In some cases, these overlap the CSS tooltips you have created.
Last edited by rtadams89 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

rtadams89 wrote:Good. Only one problem. There are still the default popups which present info such as "no new posts." In some cases, these overlap the CSS tooltips you have created.
I know...problem is within the prosilver template file itself. Eg, viewforum_body.html states this
<dt<!-- IF topicrow.TOPIC_ICON_IMG and S_TOPIC_ICONS --> style="background-image: url({T_ICONS_PATH}{topicrow.TOPIC_ICON_IMG}); background-repeat: no-repeat;"<!-- ENDIF --> title="{topicrow.TOPIC_FOLDER_IMG_ALT}">
..and the <dt surrounds the topic's title. So a decision needs to be if that is left or taken out...if taken out, then hovering over anything with in the attached pic will not produce the title "no new posts", etc. If left then the only thing that can be done would be to move the tooltip around to accomodate the title popup. That's why you sort of see two tooltips.

Also, I would appreciate it if all future comments concerning further development of this mod could be made on my forum. I can't make it much easier than allowing guest posting and would really, really, really, really like to keep this topic as clean as possible as this is supposed to be a "MOD release topic" and not a "MOD in development topic".....please. :)

Thanks.
Attachments
Noname.jpg
Noname.jpg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 982 times

rtadams89

Post by rtadams89 »

Any idea when the latest version (with CSS) will be approved and available here?

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

rtadams89 wrote:Any idea when the latest version (with CSS) will be approved and available here?
That would be up to the MOD Validation Team. ;)

alienbabeltech

Post by alienbabeltech »

This one didn't work for me.

My board is alienbabeltech.com

I enabled it from board features, purged cache, refreshed the templates and styles . Still didn't work .

Now I want to try 1.0.2 . Do i need to undo the SQL changes this mod did ? How do i do that then ?
This is the best and most helpful community I have been on. You are some of the best people I have met. GOD Bless You ALL !
My Forum - http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/index.php

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

wolf2009 wrote:This one didn't work for me.

I could probably help if you gave more information than "this one didn't work for me."
Do i need to undo the SQL changes this mod did ? How do i do that then ?
No, you can leave them.

alienbabeltech

Post by alienbabeltech »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
wolf2009 wrote:This one didn't work for me.

I could probably help if you gave more information than "this one didn't work for me."
Do i need to undo the SQL changes this mod did ? How do i do that then ?
No, you can leave them.
followed all the instructions in the install.xml file . edited the files , uploaded the files ,

I enabled it from board features, purged cache, refreshed the templates and styles . Still didn't work .

no errors in forum, but when i hover over the topic title, i still get the date .
This is the best and most helpful community I have been on. You are some of the best people I have met. GOD Bless You ALL !
My Forum - http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/index.php

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”