Page 1 of 26

User Blog Mod

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:55 pm
by Extensions Robot
Modification name: User Blog Mod
Author: EXreaction
Modification description: Adds Blogs for each user to your phpBB3 forums.

The User Blog Mod does not support PHP versions less than 5.1.0.
  • Categories can be made with unlimited subcategories and branching.
  • Each user has their own page to which they may post new blogs to.
  • Comments can be made to blogs.
  • Soft Delete - Blogs and Replies, when deleted, are first soft deleted. Administrators have a permission setting to allow them to permanently hard delete blogs and replies.
  • Separated Templates. Allows you to very easily create or install separate templates for the User Blog Mod and allow users to select which templates they want shown for their blog. This uses the board default style for things like posting, so only 1 template needs to be built in order to allow users to pick it for their own template. You can see this on my blog here (currently I have the Blogger Clone as my blog template).
  • SEO Url's - If you have Mod Rewrite enabled on your server you can use the SEO Url's which change an ugly URL like the following:
    http://localhost/blog.php?u=2&b=1
    To something nicer, like:
    http://localhost/blog/EXreaction/welcom ... d_b-1.html

    Or something like:
    http://localhost/blog.php?u=2
    To:
    http://localhost/blog/EXreaction/
  • Users may rate blogs.
  • User Permissions - Users can set permissions for other users on a global or per blog basis, letting them decide if they want the users to not see the blog, be able to see and read the blog, or be able to see, view, and reply to the blog. Users can set options for 4 "groups", Guests, Friends, Foes, and everyone else (Administrators and Moderators are not affected by user set permissions, and any permissions set by administrators in the ACP override any settings set by users).
  • Plugins System - Allows you to not only easily expand the features of the User Blog Mod by installing user made plugins, but it also makes it very easy to make your own custom plugins which add features for your own board without having to edit the core files every time you upgrade. Installing plugins is usually very simple, and can usually be done by just uploading some files to your phpBB3 forum and clicking the Install button in the User Blog Plugins ACP module. A screenshot of the Plugins ACP module is attached to this post (the exact look of the page is subject to change).
  • Subscriptions - Users can subscribe to receive updates via PM or Email when a new reply is posted to a blog or a new blog is posted by a user.
  • Feeds - RSS/ATOM/Javascript output feeds
  • Search System - Users can search for text within blogs and blog replies (it is separate from the phpBB3 search system however).
  • Attachments - An attachments system exactly like the one included with phpBB3.
  • Polls - The same as polls for phpBB3.
  • Per user/group permissions - Integrates with the phpBB3 permissions system and allows a lot of control over what users can and can not do.
  • Upgrade system - Allows you to upgrade from existing Blog Systems. It currently only supports The Blog Mod 0.2.4b (phpBB2).
Report bugs and issues to the tracker.

The subversion repository is located at Google Code

Make sure to read the Author's notes section AND the FAQ before installation.
Modification version: 1.0.13
Tested on phpBB version: 3.0.7-pl1

Download file: User Blog Mod 1.0.13.zip
File size: 883.63 KiB

Modification overview page: View

The phpBB Team is not responsible nor required to provide support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB Extension Customisations Team may not be able to provide support.

-->Modification support<--

User Blog Mod

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:55 pm
by Paul
Modification validated/released

Notes:
This MOD requires at least PHP 5.1

User Blog Mod

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:55 pm
by EXreaction
Support by the author is only provided at http://www.lithiumstudios.org
A small fee is required for support by the author unless otherwise specified by the author in the release topic.
Bug reports are accepted and, if confirmed as a bug, you will receive support for fixing the bug for free by the mod author.

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:49 pm
by th23
Nice MOD :)
EXreaction wrote:A small fee is required for support by the author...
Häh? :? I thought providing a sort of support over here is a prerequisite for the listing in the MOD DB?

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:00 am
by Ahri89
Congratlations EXreaction for validation and thanks for this nice mod :D

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:56 pm
by alienbabeltech
th23 wrote:
EXreaction wrote:A small fee is required for support by the author...
Häh? :? I thought providing a sort of support over here is a prerequisite for the listing in the MOD DB?
exactly, wth ?

anyways, any demo board ?

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:15 pm
by Friendly
Wow, I'm regretting installing this. Caused problems on my board, and THEN I discovered that this mod wasn't to be supported.

My recommendation - don't install this mod.

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:17 pm
by alienbabeltech
Friendly wrote:Wow, I'm regretting installing this. Caused problems on my board, and THEN I discovered that this mod wasn't to be supported.

My recommendation - don't install this mod.
thanks for posting

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:45 pm
by Friendly
Well, after a lot of headaches (about 4 hours worth), I managed to get it working. But, for some reason the links don't show up on my board style.

The code in overall_header looks like this:

Code: Select all

<a href="{blog_links.URL}">{blog_links.TEXT}</a>
But the html just looks like this:

Code: Select all

<a href=""></a>
So for some reason the blog_links.URL and blog_links.TEXT don't show up. I checked on prosilver, and they show up in that style. I have made sure that all the prosilver files were copied over to the folder for my style (it's a prosilver based style), but it just doesn't want to work for some reason.

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:01 pm
by vellatechie
Friendly wrote:Well, after a lot of headaches (about 4 hours worth), I managed to get it working. But, for some reason the links don't show up on my board style.

The code in overall_header looks like this:

Code: Select all

<a href="{blog_links.URL}">{blog_links.TEXT}</a>
But the html just looks like this:

Code: Select all

<a href=""></a>
So for some reason the blog_links.URL and blog_links.TEXT don't show up. I checked on prosilver, and they show up in that style. I have made sure that all the prosilver files were copied over to the folder for my style (it's a prosilver based style), but it just doesn't want to work for some reason.
Friendly wrote:Wow, I'm regretting installing this. Caused problems on my board, and THEN I discovered that this mod wasn't to be supported.

My recommendation - don't install this mod.
WTH !!!.. ive been using this mod for months now on my board its updating and working without any problem ever since

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:17 pm
by Friendly
As I said, I got it going eventually, except for one problem.

As much as I disagree with the idea of paying for support for an open-source application, I went to the forum and paid for it. The developer gave me assistance, and managed to diagnose the problem within about 15 minutes, so if you are going to pay, it's not the worst thing.

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:35 pm
by austin881
IGNORE

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:01 pm
by DavidIQ
Ummm...phpBB itself is still free so I don't know what you're talking about. MOD authors aren't even required to provide support for the mods they create and the same can be said about all other forum software. I don't see how the support decisions of ONE (or even a handfull) mod author affects the rest of the phpBB community :roll:

And you're not actually paying for the MOD so the "opensource" spirit of things here is still intact. You're paying for someone to help you should YOU screw something up.

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 am
by updown
- deleted -

Re: User Blog Mod

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:45 am
by Friendly
I'll say it again - the support I received was worth the money. I still feel it goes against the spirit of open source, but it was worth the money, and it was only a small amount anyways. No big deal to me, though it could be to someone who is from a country where the money holds less value.