NV recent topics

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
madmartyau
Name: Marty

Re: NV recent topics

Post by madmartyau »

MPG187 wrote:
madmartyau wrote:
MPG187 wrote:Anyone know the code?
Why not try the code that goes into index.php?
I did and on my index page where it's supposed to appear it says

Code: Select all

if ($config['rt_index']) { if (!function_exists('display_recent_topics')) { include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/functions_recenttopics.' . $phpEx); } display_recent_topics($config['rt_number'], 
Is your page php or just HTML?
Call me Grumpy.
wired076

Post by wired076 »

MPG187 wrote:
madmartyau wrote:
MPG187 wrote:Anyone know the code?
Why not try the code that goes into index.php?
I did and on my index page where it's supposed to appear it says

if ($config['rt_index']) { if (!function_exists('display_recent_topics')) { include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/functions_recenttopics.' . $phpEx); } display_recent_topics($config['rt_number'], 
I am not 100% certain but it seems like you need to link your main page into the phpBB 3 engine so that the code will run correctly as it is php code and there are variables, etc defined.

I would have to test this out to provide any more detail.

You might also have to run the main page as php to be able to run the code correctly.
webguys

Post by webguys »

Hi Nick,

After making several posts in this thread and a couple of PM's back and forth, I'm guessing that you are not interested in providing any input or help with the task I brought up over the past months in this thread? It's been over two months now and even longer since the topic was first addressed.

Q. Am I correct here?

What I'm asking about can probably be accomplished with a simple JOIN query among tables. In principle it is a somewhat basic query in PHP and probably a lot easier than tackling some of the other questions that have been raised in this thread. Unfortunately, you know your MOD the best and will know where and how to place the JOIN queries and how they may interface (or possibly conflict) with your pre-existing code and be accommodated for in the ACP. But in practice, a JOIN is not hard. We can both probably agree with that. :)

Other people have brought up similar questions in the life of this thread and I've spent a lot of time with your Mod and in this thread (read the whole thing and browsed it several times). So, I didn't skip to the end of this thread and just post my question(s) without some reading and testing. ;) In hindsight after much time was spent describing my questions in detail, it sounds like you probably didn't give any response back because I asked if anybody knew of another Latest Post Mod that could achieve the task I was requesting. To be honest, I didn't have a clue PHPBB Mod writers might be competitive and sensitive among each other like this. Rather strange as it is free software and supposedly non-income generating for the authors. For whatever reason you might have been offended, I don't completely understand. I have offered support in technical forums and when someone improves or adds to what I've done then I support it. It's the nature of Open Source. But then, that's just me.

You do have a great MOD, and what I'm asking for could probably help a lot of folks that have large and deep forum structures. Which is pretty common for successful, established forums with a lot of traffic.

It certainly would be helpful to both me, and other folks that have patiently asked the same questions if you could find time to explore if a JOIN can be incorporated in your code fairly easily. It would also be a very useful and helpful addition to your MOD that helps weed out cluttered and complex forum tree structures.

Here is my initial post with my questions.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p10842345

And here is the PM content in case you have deleted it.

Sent: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:39 am
by webguys
Here is a direct link to my post if you find time to take a look.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=1402415&p=10842345#p10842345

* Quote webguys

Sent: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:19 am
by webguys

nickvergessen wrote:Sorry for PMing you

Subject: NV recent topics

webguys wrote:Q1. Can the Parent Category Name be included on the Index page listing right alongside the Recent Topic Heading, Poster, Date and Time information?

I guess it is possible in some way. But I'm very short on time right now as I'm writing some tests for my university "intermediate diploma" (if that's an english word) if you could just remidn me in an other week I guess I should be able to tell you how.

webguys wrote:Q3. If this Mod cannot do what I'm asking, is there anybody that knows of another Mod out there that might include Parents?

things like this might be another reason when you do not get any reply from the authors, as MOD-Thread Hijacking is not very likly seen. ;)

sorry for the later reply.

I meant nothing personal by that comment. In fact, it had not occurred to me that Mod writers would not appreciate asking for other sources. It is hard to cater to everyone's needs as a Mod writer and I wrote my comment also thinking you may not feel like answering it and it would leave you an out for not replying. That's because the other person that asked a similar question about showing Parents didn't receive input months back. I have actually been watching this thread for months. I figure you do this on a voluntary basis and there will be times when you just can't get to things. So that's why I asked for another source or option in your thread. I did not come here and skip to the last post and make my comment. I have read the entire thread months ago.

I am knowledgeable with PHP. Not a rocket scientist with PHP, but can get a lot of stuff working. However, I am not thoroughly conversant with PHPBB code, so I can't offer support advice at PHPBB.com, but I have done so in several other technical forums related to web development. Looking at your code it appears that a "join" might could be used to query both tables to retrieve the Parent forum.

I do believe that echoing the Parent would be an added benefit to your already great Script. It's the best one out there. If a forum is large with subforums it's easy to get lost and labeling and echoing the Parent would help navigation.

My forums are actually two levels deep with two Categories preceeding the forums where posts are allowed. So it's actually two Parent's deep for me. Not just one Parent.

I have patched together a straight PHP option querying the database directly (no PHPBB3 code) and it requires manually inserting the code into each subforum. It would be great if it was controllable in the ACP, but I just don't know enough about PHPBB3 to get it done.

Anyway, if you get a chance, I would be very grateful if you had a code snippet that would work with your Script.

Thanks

Don
MPG187
Name: Operation 420

Post by MPG187 »

madmartyau wrote:Is your page php or just HTML?
It's HTML, but I could make a PHP with the recent topics and them just embed the HTML page.
wired076 wrote:I am not 100% certain but it seems like you need to link your main page into the phpBB 3 engine so that the code will run correctly as it is php code and there are variables, etc defined.
One would think, but the instructions don't say anything about doing that or how to do that.
phpBB 3.0.4, http://operation420.net/forum, download package from phpBB.com (fresh install), mods installed, British English, MySQL 4.1.14
nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen »

It may be a bit more complicated.
You need a phpbb sessions, the page must be parsed by the template-engine...
No Support via PM
Lisbon

Post by Lisbon »

Theres a cod for subsilver2 for Addons\add_any_page?

Tks for help
MPG187

Post by MPG187 »

nickvergessen wrote:It may be a bit more complicated.
How do I do that?
phpBB 3.0.4, http://operation420.net/forum, download package from phpBB.com (fresh install), mods installed, British English, MySQL 4.1.14
nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

MPG187 wrote:
How do I do that?
See http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/add-a-n ... -to-phpbb/
Lisbon wrote:Theres a cod for subsilver2 for Addons\add_any_page?
The edits to the php-file are the same. The once for the .html should just match the ones from the normal subsilver2.xml
No Support via PM
MPG187

Post by MPG187 »

nickvergessen wrote:
MPG187 wrote:
How do I do that?
See http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/add-a-n ... -to-phpbb/
Lisbon wrote:Theres a cod for subsilver2 for Addons\add_any_page?
The edits to the php-file are the same. The once for the .html should just match the ones from the normal subsilver2.xml
I am confused, I am not making an "about us" page
nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

You can call the page what ever you like.
No Support via PM
chrishoggy

Post by chrishoggy »

Got this mod working spot on, but I'm having an issue with the "View latest forum post" link/icon that shows in the "last post" section (next to user name). I have the SEO mod installed, and it rewrites all the urls OK (inc the "View latest forum post" in the rest of the forum), but if clicking the "view latest forum post" icon (next to user name) in the recent topic (last post) section, I get a 404 error. :?
As an example, the url I get on clicking is
http://www.photography-forums.co.uk/top ... 5072#p5072 , rather than http://www.photography-forums.co.uk/topic576.html#p5072 or http://www.photography-forums.co.uk/post5072.html#p5072

If anybody has any ideas on how to fix this, or pointers on how to remove the "View latest forum post" icon from the recent topics block, it would be appreciated :mrgreen:

EDIT: This only seems to happen in IE8. If I switch to compatability mode in IE8 or use firefox, it's fine :?
chrishoggy

Post by chrishoggy »

Sorry for the hasty question, I've now resolved this by process pf elimination :mrgreen: :
Replaced:

'U_LAST_POST'			=> $view_topic_url . '&p=' . $row['topic_last_post_id'] . '#p' . $row['topic_last_post_id'],
With

'U_LAST_POST'			=> $view_topic_url .  '#p' . $row['topic_last_post_id'],
In functions_recenttopics.php

All is well again :mrgreen:
MPG187

Post by MPG187 »

What code do I put in a HTML or PHP file that's not in the same directory as my PHPBB install to insert a list of recent topics?
vonhazey

Post by vonhazey »

Another excellant mod nickvergessen many thanks.
joejv4

Post by joejv4 »

I installed this mod and it's awesome. I have however encountered one small issue. With the browser (Firefox) maximized, I have a horizontal scrollbar that flashes on and off. It seems like there is something that got edited or something in the installer, that made some sort of change to the ability of the forum to automatically resize.

I am using a tweaked version of ProSilver, named JoeSilver. The difference between vanilla Prosilver and JoeSilver is nothing more than color scheme. Would the installer have made "under-the-hood" changes to Prosilver that I need to make in Joesilver?

Any suggestions on where to look to fix this?

Edit - some additional information:
This issue does not occur when using IE6, Chrome, or Opera

Nevermind, it must be a FireFox thing... I reset the zoom setting on the browser and the problem went away.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”