Board watch

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
tiyakap

Re: Board watch

Post by tiyakap »

i need this mod for 3.04 and 3.0.5 plz provide the link..thx
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

tiyakap wrote:i need this mod for 3.04 and 3.0.5 plz provide the link..thx
There were no changes in the mod from the version that worked for 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 so you can use the current version. However, i would advise you to upgrade to 3.0.6 anyway (that's best practices).
urkomurko

Post by urkomurko »

Is it possible to set that notification email contains also content of a new post besides link to the post?

BR,

Uroš
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

urkomurko wrote:Is it possible to set that notification email contains also content of a new post besides link to the post?
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p9334935 ;)
cooch17

Board Watch problems | phpBB 3.0.6

Post by cooch17 »

(I've PM'd the basic details to the mod author, but thought there would be some value in posting here as well - so that any issues related to the problem, and hopeful solutions to same, are part of the publicly accessible knowledge base).

1. Install of phpBB 3.0.6 (hereafter, phpbb) on server running Linux (CentOS 5.4), with php 5.2, and mySQL 5.0.77. Successfully converted older phpBB 2 database. Everything working fine.

2. decided to install board watch (latest version, which is listed as 3.0.6 compatible). Went through mod instructions - copied files as needed, edited files as needed. Double-checked editing using several file comparison tools (comparing edited file(s) with 3.0.6 canonical versions). No obvious errors.

3. ran the install_boardwatch.php script. First sign of a possible problem - UMIL reports the database type as mySQL4. So, unless UMIL treats mySQL 4 and mySQL 5 as equivalent, then UMIL is in error. However, despite this, no errors are reported in any of the database changes (e.g., adding columns to table phpbb_users).

4. went into ACP - all the tabs/options/buttons for changing permissions to accommodate board watch were there.

5. however, the 'critical' problem - can no longer successfully complete submission of a post to the forum. When I hit the 'submit' button, the system just hangs (browser reports system is 'Loading', and lower-left indicates its still 'waiting for <server name>'. It doesn't show the 'Information' page you normally see after a successful submission. The submission is, in fact, added to the forum (and thus the database), since if I fire up another browser, and look at the board, there it is. But, the user submitting the post ends up hanging (waited 5 minutes, no change).

If I uninstall board watch, or if I simply revert functions_posting.php (which is the most heavily modified function, and contains the routines which handle submission) back to the canonical 3.0.6 version, the submission process works as it should. This seems to suggest that something in the mod'd functions_posting.php script is interfering with how the database responds to a submission.

While I suspect the mod author will weigh in, I'm wondering if anyone else might have some suggestions.

Thanks...
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

cooch, it is possible that you made a mistake in editing the files (installing by automod is a lot easier) but it's also possible that you have a ton of users and you have boardwatchb set to 0 by default so that it is trying to send out a huge number of emails and is just simply taking too long to do that. How many users do you have, and are they all set to receive emails for all posts?

Sorry, I'm not in a place right now where i can check your functions_posting.php file.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

If you are trying to send out tons of emails, you will probably need to make sure your packaging setting makes sense. Go to the acp and click email settings. What amount do you have for 'email package size'?
cooch17

Post by cooch17 »

asinshesq wrote:cooch, it is possible that you made a mistake in editing the files (installing by automod is a lot easier) but it's also possible that you have a ton of users and you have boardwatchb set to 0 by default so that it is trying to send out a huge number of emails and is just simply taking too long to do that. How many users do you have, and are they all set to receive emails for all posts?

Sorry, I'm not in a place right now where i can check your functions_posting.php file.

I think that would be it. I failed to note that the default was to send emails to everyone on the board. In my case, all 1100+ of them. I'm not a popular guy right now, having submitted 10-15 test posts (meaning, that many annoying little emails to 1100+ users). Confirmed by checking the maillog. :oops:

Now I understand why the system was hanging.

I've resintalled everything changing the defaults. Hopefully this time it will all work.
cooch17

Post by cooch17 »

asinshesq wrote:If you are trying to send out tons of emails, you will probably need to make sure your packaging setting makes sense. Go to the acp and click email settings. What amount do you have for 'email package size'?

At present, the default (50). Higher, or lower recommended (server is a low-end box)?
cooch17

board watch | an outstanding mod

Post by cooch17 »

Now that I've overcome my own stupidity in getting this mod implemented (overcoming stupidity is a transient state for me, these days), I'd like to offer my congratulations on an outstanding mod. It does absolutely everything I want (for now!), and was in fact quite easy to put into place (personal stupidity notwithstanding).

Big tumbs up! :D
cooch17

Post by cooch17 »

asinshesq wrote: If I did all of that correctly, you can include {POSTTEXT} and {POSTERNAME} wherever you want it in any of the email templates this mod adds and the text and poster's signature should show up.
OK, so I'm looking in language\en\email, and I see multiple boardwatch-related .txt files.

boardwatch_forum_notify_but.txt
boardwatch_forum_notify.txt
boardwatch_newtopic_notify_but.txt
boardwatch_newtopic_notify.txt
boardwatch_newtopic_notify.txt.canconical
boardwatch_post_but.txt
boardwatch_post.txt
boardwatch_reply_but.txt
boardwatch_reply.txt
boardwatch_topic_notify_but.txt
boardwatch_topic_notify.txt

Am I correct in assuming the the files with the _but.txt element refer to the file that should be used if the user selects 'Yes, but only once between visits to the..' in the 'Edit post notification options' in the ucp?

Now, the problem - I tried tweaking boardwatch_newtopic_notify.txt, by simply introducing a single phrase (test transmission) near the top of the file:

Code: Select all

Subject: Forum post notification - "{FORUM_NAME}"

Hello {USERNAME},

Test Transmission

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the forum, "{FORUM_NAME}" at "{SITENAME}." 

<remainder deleted to save space>
However, no matter how many test postings I make, this changed file never seems to be used. Is there some sort of cache I need to clear first, or something else I need to do? Ultimately, I want to embed to the text of the posting in the email, but I need to get this sorted out first (since, clearly, changes I'm making to this file aren't showing up).

Thanks in advance...
cooch17

Post by cooch17 »

cooch17 wrote: However, no matter how many test postings I make, this changed file never seems to be used. Is there some sort of cache I need to clear first, or something else I need to do? Ultimately, I want to embed to the text of the posting in the email, but I need to get this sorted out first (since, clearly, changes I'm making to this file aren't showing up).

Thanks in advance...
Asked and answered. You *do*, in fact, need to purge the cache after changing the template files.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Sorry, been a way a few days. Sounds like you answered your own questions though (and you are correct - the _but files are the ones that say but only between visits and you do need to clear cache after you make changes).
cooch17

Post by cooch17 »

asinshesq wrote:Sorry, been a way a few days. Sounds like you answered your own questions though (and you are correct - the _but files are the ones that say but only between visits and you do need to clear cache after you make changes).
Thanks -

So far, the mod is working perfectly. Tweaked the email templates to add a few things, but otherwise, working exactly as described.
robert668

Post by robert668 »

I installed BoardWatch a couple of months ago and it was working perfectly, but I wanted to enhance it by adding the text of new posts to the email notification. I followed Alan's instructions to the letter, then modified the .txt files, but the emails did not change accordingly. Alan suggested I purge the cache in the general acp after completing all the steps, which I finally did, and now it works perfectly. This mod is outstanding - I'm happy, my members are happy, and I've learned a ton in the process. Thanks, Alan!

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”