Board watch

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Re: Board watch

Post by asinshesq »

burntwind wrote:
asinshesq wrote:When you are done installing the mod (or when automod is done - it's a good idea to use automod), you are supposed to run install_boardwatch.php. That file is in the root of your phpbb folder, not any subfolder. So navigate to www.[your_forum_address]/install_boardwatch.php
yeah. install/index.php is for automod.

install_boardwatch.php returns a blank page.
Make sure of the following:

1. The file called install_boardwatch.php really is in your main phpbb directory (it should be in the same place that posting,php appears so you can double check)

2. A folder called umil is in that same main phpbb directory

3. A file called info_ucp_boardwatch.php in in the language/en/mods directory
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

OK, so it's working now...I don't know what changed, but at least it's working!

Thanks for the MOD!!!
carskee

Post by carskee »

asinshesq wrote:
carskee wrote:Only problem now is that in the ACP if I click the "Users and Groups" tab, I get this at the top:

);

And thats it on the page. I was thinking I messed up an edit, but I just double checked them all. Any ideas?
I'm guessing the issue has nothing to do with this mod, but just in case, double check your changes to adm/style/acp_users_prefs.html and includes/acp/acp_users.php

Meanwhile, does the mod now work on your board?
Yes the mod now works, but this is the only thing i've change with my board. I've attached the files I've edited to make it work...if someone gets a chance, can you see if I edited something incorrect? I've triple checked the edits and still can't find out why this ACP page won't load. Unfortunately its one of the pages I need too :)

Thanks!
Attachments

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

carskee wrote:I've attached the files I've edited to make it work...if someone gets a chance, can you see if I edited something incorrect? I've triple checked the edits and still can't find out why this ACP page won't load. Unfortunately its one of the pages I need too :)
Your problem is at the beginning and end of acp_users.php. The very first thing allowed in a php file (a file with a .php extension) is:

Code: Select all

<?php
but the beginning of your acp_users.php file looks like this:

);<?php
(And that's why you are seeing a ");" at the top of the page.)

Similarly, the very last thing allowed in a php file is

?>
but your acp_users.php file has a line return after that (I see your functions_display.php and functions_posting.php files also have line returns at the end where they shouldn't so I'm surprised those aren't giving you trouble as well.)

Did you edit those files with a plain text editor or with something like dreamweaver? If you are using anything other than a plain text editor you are at risk of messing up your files in ways that cannot always be fixed (dreamweaver and similar editors have a nasty habit of inserting characters that it thinks you want - and sometimes they are invisible so you can't even tell it's done that). If this is really a clean install it's probably worth starting over and this time use a plain text editor (notepad++ or editpad or textpad or any of a number of free plain text editors that you can find on the web).

Also, remember to set the editor so that it saves in utf-8 without BOM.
legsforum

Post by legsforum »

Great mod Thank you!

But (isn't there always one): I had Prime Notify installed and installing Boardwatch has of course eliminated that functionality in favor of the new email format/links. I do like the new link that brings you to the least recent unseen post (makes more sense, I agree), but my users loved the functionality that Prime Notify introduced (content of post inside the email).

Is there a way to install Boardwatch w/o it's changes of email format?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

legsforum wrote:I had Prime Notify installed and installing Boardwatch has of course eliminated that functionality in favor of the new email format/links. I do like the new link that brings you to the least recent unseen post (makes more sense, I agree), but my users loved the functionality that Prime Notify introduced (content of post inside the email).

Is there a way to install Boardwatch w/o it's changes of email format?
I don't know anything about prime notify, but given the many different permutations of notification situations that now exist after adding this mod it strikes me as not being a good idea to go back to regular emails. Why not just edit the emails this mod adds to do whatever prime notify does? And if you are just talking about adding the text, see http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p9334935
legsforum

Post by legsforum »

Alan, I have since seen your post on Page 3 of this thread about adding email text.

It works perfectly, you are a hero. ;-)
palves74

Post by palves74 »

Hi,

I have installed the MOD and I can see it in my ACP under System/UCP/board preferences... but it says disable and I cannot enable it. I have tried to post a text message and none received any notification.

I do not want user to have the option of switching this off.

I am using 3.07.

thanks.

PA
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

palves74 wrote:Hi,

I have installed the MOD and I can see it in my ACP under System/UCP/board preferences... but it says disable and I cannot enable it...
If it says disable that means it is currently enabled (you would click it to disable it ;) ). So as long as it says disable you are fine.
palves74 wrote:I have tried to post a text message and none received any notification.
- Did you install manually or with automod?

- Did you make any of the changes described in 'changing_default_settings.html (the file that comes in the contrib folder of the zip file)?

- Have you granted any permissions to set boardwatch options to any users and groups? (if you don't want to give users the ability to opt out you don't need to grant permissions but I was curious because that may indicate whether you correctly installed this)

- What setting do you have in acp->general->email settings->email package size? You may need to set that to 0 on your board.
inkserious

Post by inkserious »

I've been searching for a solution on how to auto subscribe new users to either a board or forum or both. I think Boardwatch has the functionality that I want; however, being new to phpbb I want to make sure before I install it. I have several questions:

Will boardwatch give me the ability as the admin to automatically subscribe new users to the board?
Will it give me the ability as the admin to subscribe users to specific forums?

Thanks in advance for any help.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

inkserious wrote:Will boardwatch give me the ability as the admin to automatically subscribe new users to the board?
Yes, you can set up the default for new users in whatever way you want to set things up. Make sure to read changing_default_settings.html in the contrib folder before installing this so you set the defaults the way you want.
inkserious wrote:Will it give me the ability as the admin to subscribe users to specific forums?
You won't need to subscribe users to specific forums if they are subscribed to the full board. But if you choose not to have them subscribed to the full board (or you allow them to opt out of being subscribed to the full board), they need to subscribe themselves to whatever forums they want to be subscribed to. You could work around that by going into the database yourself or by writing so additional code to do it in some automated fashion.
inkserious

Post by inkserious »

Just to clarify, once installed boardwatch will only effect new users moving forward - is that correct? Also, there are many posts in this topic, but I believe I read that users will only receive notifications for posts that they are allowed to read. I have several forums that specific user groups do not have permissions to view. I want to verify that they will not receive notifications for posts made to these forums even if they are subscribed to the entire board.

Thanks again.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

inkserious wrote:Just to clarify, once installed boardwatch will only effect new users moving forward - is that correct?
No. The feature is available for all users. You are free, however, to set notifications off for existing users (a simple query) and set the default for new users however you want.
inkserious wrote:I believe I read that users will only receive notifications for posts that they are allowed to read. I have several forums that specific user groups do not have permissions to view. I want to verify that they will not receive notifications for posts made to these forums even if they are subscribed to the entire board.
Correct...a user who has board notifications turned on will only get notifications for posts in forums if he has permission to read those posts.
inkserious

Post by inkserious »

My apologies, I misstated my question. Once installed, will boardwatch be automatically turned on for all existing users? I understand the feature will be available for all users; however, I want to make sure it does not automatically subscribe all existing users to the board.

Thanks again.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

As I said, you can turn it on or off for all users that exist when you install the mod, and you can have the same or a different default for new users who join later on. And you can give individual users or groups the right to change their own settings or you can prevent them from having that right.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”