Board watch

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Re: Board watch

Post by asinshesq » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:11 pm

evina wrote:I can't find that notifications tab under board preferences. Maybe I installed it wrong?
Two thoughts:

1. Maybe you didn't actually install and enable the module as the instructions at the end of the mod tell you to do? When you go to the ACP and click the 'System' tab and then click the user control panel link under the module management part, and then click the 'board preferences' link, do you see a link called 'edit post notification options' and does it say 'disable' at the right (meaning it's enabled)?

2. Are you sure you granted persmissions to yourself or a group you are a member of (or a role assigned to you or a group you are a member of) allowing you to change boardwatch options? Try going to the 'Permissions' tab in the ACP, click the 'view user-based permissions' link at the bottom left, type your username in the 'find a member' box and click 'view permissions'. Then click the boardwatch options tab. And finally, click the little circle immediately to the left of 'can set boardwatch options'. Is the trace result 'yes' at the very bottom?

evina

Post by evina » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:43 pm

I did install the module and the trace results for all three are yes.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:55 pm

evina wrote:I did install the module and the trace results for all three are yes.
Hmm...

And are you sure that for the user that has permissions you did this?:

- click User Control Panel link to go to the UCP

- click the Board preferences tab

- look at the list that appears at the left

Do you see that list? "Edit post notification options" should be right under "Edit display options". Do you see Edit display options? Is Edit post notification options right under it?

evina

Post by evina » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:11 am

Yep, it's not there.

For some reason, I've had a really hard time installing mods, especially the easy ones. I can't install automod because that doesen't work either.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:56 am

evina wrote:Yep, it's not there.

For some reason, I've had a really hard time installing mods, especially the easy ones. I can't install automod because that doesen't work either.
Ok, let's take this offline to pm and see if we can figure it out and then we'll report back here once we have the answer.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:46 pm

asinshesq wrote:
evina wrote:Yep, it's not there.

Ok, let's take this offline to pm and see if we can figure it out and then we'll report back here once we have the answer.
It turned out that evina had a permissions problem rather than a problem with installation of this mod.

p1test

Post by p1test » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:04 pm

We've created a bulliten board and our style of choice is pronight, how would we go about 'modifying' the boardwatch (1.0.0.d) MOD to be compatible with that style? Seems that it only works with Prosilver.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:26 am

p1test wrote:We've created a bulliten board and our style of choice is pronight, how would we go about 'modifying' the boardwatch (1.0.0.d) MOD to be compatible with that style? Seems that it only works with Prosilver.
Have you already tried it. Sounds like your style is based on prosilver so it should be fine. Let me know if there are lines in the style you can't find.

p1test

Post by p1test » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:10 pm

asinshesq wrote:
p1test wrote:We've created a bulliten board and our style of choice is pronight, how would we go about 'modifying' the boardwatch (1.0.0.d) MOD to be compatible with that style? Seems that it only works with Prosilver.
Have you already tried it. Sounds like your style is based on prosilver so it should be fine. Let me know if there are lines in the style you can't find.
We have already completed the steps for UCP_boardwatch.html and put it into the template of our style but is there something else we need to do at a code level to get it to work with the pronight style?

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:37 pm

p1test wrote:..We have already completed the steps for UCP_boardwatch.html and put it into the template of our style but is there something else we need to do at a code level to get it to work with the pronight style?
No, using a different style doesn't change the regular code.

So you either (a) didn't install the mod properly (e.g. maybe you messed up one of the other code changes the mod tells you to make), (b) didn't properly install and enable the ucp module this mod adds or (c) didn't properly grant user or group permissions to change boardwatch options.

What does and doesn't work? Do you see boardwatch options when you go to the permissions part of the acp and look up advanced permissions for a user or group?

hww

Post by hww » Sun May 17, 2009 11:01 pm

awair wrote:I am using phpMyAdmin, and changed the default to '2' for new users using the 'change icon' on the structure tab of the users table.

However, I was a little stuck on the SQL syntax to update existing users to '2'. I was selecting the SQL tab and entering the code below [my users table is 'users' not 'phpbb_users'], but getting a syntax error...

Code: Select all

UPDATE TABLE users
SET user_boardwatchb = 2
WHERE 1 = 1;
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TABLE users
SET user_boardwatchb = 2
WHERE 1 = 1' at line 1
Eventually, I found another tutorial suggesting:

USE mydatabase;

UPDATE users
SET user_boardwatchb = 2
WHERE 1 = 1;
And this worked! [Correction - the SQL update worked, will wait to see if this fixes the email errors that I've been having.]
If anyone else is having problems, this also achieves the desired result:

UPDATE phpbb_users
SET user_boardwatchb = 2
WHERE 1 = 1
(i.e., UPDATE, not UPDATE TABLE)
Sorry for my English, but I am Australian. Forgive me please.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Sun May 17, 2009 11:14 pm

hww wrote:
awair wrote:I am using phpMyAdmin, and changed the default to '2' for new users using the 'change icon' on the structure tab of the users table.

However, I was a little stuck on the SQL syntax to update existing users to '2'. I was selecting the SQL tab and entering the code below [my users table is 'users' not 'phpbb_users'], but getting a syntax error...

UPDATE TABLE users
SET user_boardwatchb = 2
WHERE 1 = 1;
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TABLE users
SET user_boardwatchb = 2
WHERE 1 = 1' at line 1
If anyone else is having problems, this also achieves the desired result:

UPDATE phpbb_users
SET user_boardwatchb = 2
WHERE 1 = 1
:oops:
I just messed up in that old post (I have now edited it).

For an Australian, you make sense and have a supreme mastery of the english language :mrgreen:

Seriously, thanks.

hww

Post by hww » Mon May 18, 2009 10:49 pm

asinshesq wrote:
hww wrote:If anyone else is having problems, this also achieves the desired result:

UPDATE phpbb_users
SET user_boardwatchb = 2
WHERE 1 = 1
:oops:
I just messed up in that old post (I have now edited it).

For an Australian, you make sense and have a supreme mastery of the english language :mrgreen:

Seriously, thanks.
No problem ;) (It also appears in the contrib folder of version 1.0.1e.)

Thanks for writing this MOD. I installed it yesterday, and it's working well.

Also, I agree that having the notification email link to the earliest unread post is more logical -- and useful -- than having it link to the most recent post (as happens on unmodded phpBB boards).

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq » Mon May 18, 2009 11:06 pm

hww wrote:(It also appears in the contrib folder of version 1.0.1e.)
Yes, I uploaded a new version (still called 1.0.1e since the mod itself hasn't changed) that fixes that readme file. But thanks for reminding me because usually I would have forgotten that.
hww wrote:Thanks for writing this MOD. I installed it yesterday, and it's working well.

Also, I agree that having the notification email link to the earliest unread post is more logical -- and useful -- than having it link to the most recent post (as happens on unmodded phpBB boards).
Glad it's working well. And glad you agree about the logic of where the link should point. I am confident the developers had a reason for not doing that, but I have no idea what that reason was.

hww

Post by hww » Mon May 18, 2009 11:39 pm

asinshesq wrote:Glad it's working well. And glad you agree about the logic of where the link should point. I am confident the developers had a reason for not doing that, but I have no idea what that reason was.
I've just spent the last 20 minutes thinking about this, and I may have cracked it :)

How does your MOD operate if "Enable server-side topic marking" is disabled in the ACP (so that read/unread status information is stored in client-side cookies rather than the database)?

(See General tab > Server configuration :: Load settings, then under General Options)

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”