phpBB Smartfeed

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
MarkDHamill

Re: phpBB Smartfeed

Post by MarkDHamill »

It could be done but you would of course have to limit the content to 140 characters. I would also strip out HTML as well. Of course you would have to write some script to periodically poll the feed and see what's new, or tie so code to an event like a reply or a new post.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

MarkDHamill wrote:It could be done but you would of course have to limit the content to 140 characters. I would also strip out HTML as well. Of course you would have to write some script to periodically poll the feed and see what's new, or tie so code to an event like a reply or a new post.
Or just use twitterfeed.com. I setup an account to grab my smartfeed on my forum (From a dummy account that only grabs non-private forums so I do not have to alter the feed on my account). I just made a post so hopefully the process will post the new topic to my twitter account.

I will let you know the status of that test.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I wasn't aware of Twitterfeed.com but I am not surprised someone invented this.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

Twitter just updated, worked great except the posts were reversed (oldest post was set as the newest on Twitter). I will have to play with the settings a bit to see if I can get that corrected.
sbloomer

Post by sbloomer »

MasterZ wrote:
sbloomer wrote:I am considering using this MOD for my forum to post to twitter using twitterfeed.

Has anyone used this mod for this purpose?
That is an interesting idea... I think I might try that! :)
I'm glad my idea triggered something that someone else could test :lol: ... I will give it a bash this weekend when I get a chance, but please post your findings and hints.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

Everything seems to work. The RSS feed is generated with posts in the correct order (newest up top) but I do not know why twitterfeed changes them, but oh well. Twitter feed lets you post up to 5 new items at a time to your twitter account and can update as quick as every half hour. Not sure how quickly smart feed updates but I assume it is right away.

Thanks for the idea! Enjoy. :)
sbloomer

Post by sbloomer »

Ok...

Installed and working on my forum with twitterfeed... and looks good!

Thanks a lot for a great mod Mark... I'm using your daily digests mod as well.
kasala

Re: phpBB Smartfeed 3.0.7

Post by kasala »

@ MarkDHamill or if anyone else may have the answer:

Can you tell me the steps you took to get this working on 3.0.7? I'm unable to find most of the code I need to edit per the instructions. I was able to locate some of it but not all of the variables listed so I'm unsure as to where to paste the code pieces in.

Thanks in advance!
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

The install.xml file contains the code changes. Database changes and module installation instructions are embedded in the umil_smartfeed_install.php program.
pilch

Post by pilch »

Nice MOD author! Tell me, can I display posts from a wordpress site (which isn't owned by me but I have a possible partnership possibility) on my forum with this mod?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Not with this mod, sorry.
pilch

Post by pilch »

MarkDHamill wrote:Not with this mod, sorry.
Really no need to apologise at all, thanks for responding. So, do you know of ANY mod (released or BETA for phpBB3x) which can offer this?

Thanks in advance.
kasala

Post by kasala »

@ MarkDHamill

Disregard. Admin error. We recently migrated from phpbb 2.x to 3.x. I forgot that I had changed the url pointers on the virtual directories to point to the new install folder but didn't actually change the folder names. I was working in the old 2.x installation. Figured it out about midnight last night.

Thanks for the follow up.
AlexXxuTzZu

Post by AlexXxuTzZu »

hi, wat does it mean:

Code: Select all

Copy: root/umil/*.* 
To: umil/*.* 
which file to copy ? all the folder or wat exactly ?
Saying thank you is more than good manners. It is good spiritually !
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

This is a wildcard syntax meaning everything in these folders, including all files and subfolders. It is saying the root/umil folder in the archive should be copied to a umil archive in your phpBB root directory.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”