phpBB Smartfeed

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
Pixel8r

Re: phpBB Smartfeed

Post by Pixel8r »

As stated in my previous message, I have made the changes manually but am unaware of how to make the SQL database changes.

Please can you tell me how to make SQL changes required manually?
24knews.com - We live on the edge of chaos.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

The SQL changes to go from 2.2.15 to 2.2.16 are in the upgrade instructions. They only apply to MySQL. AutoMod is database independent.

Code: Select all

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '2.2.16' where config_name = 'sf_version';
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('sf_max_size', 0);
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('sf_new_post_notifications_only', 0);
DELETE FROM phpbb_config WHERE config_value = 'sf_smartfeed_title_explain';
Look for similar instructions in upgrade instructions for other versions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
Pixel8r

Post by Pixel8r »

MarkDHamill wrote:The SQL changes to go from 2.2.15 to 2.2.16 are in the upgrade instructions. They only apply to MySQL. AutoMod is database independent.

Code: Select all

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '2.2.16' where config_name = 'sf_version';
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('sf_max_size', 0);
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('sf_new_post_notifications_only', 0);
DELETE FROM phpbb_config WHERE config_value = 'sf_smartfeed_title_explain';
Look for similar instructions in upgrade instructions for other versions.
You are not understanding me.

I have made all other changes, but am unsure as to how to make the changes required to my SQL database. When I initially installed 2.2.15 automod made the changes to the database for me, but I can't get it to work for the upgrade.

Thanks for your help.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Assuming you have a MySQL database, the web host usually provides an interface program for manipulating the database, typically phpMyAdmin. Go to your web host control panel and look for it. It is usually there. If not you might be able to install it in a directory on your web server.

If using some other database look for a similar program. You will have to translate the SQL for MySQL if needed into any peculiarities needed for your database.

Link to phpMyAdmin: http://www.phpmyadmin.net/
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
Pixel8r

Post by Pixel8r »

I have checked and I am using a MySQL DB and my system has phpMyAdmin installed. :D

I have never used phpMyAdmin before, could I ask you to give me a quick run down on how to make the changes listed above. I have started phpMyAdmin have selected the correct database, do I just copy the code supplied above into the Run SQL query/queries on database box and hit go?

Sorry to be a pain, thanks for your help.
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Hello Pixel8r,

you might find this helpful: [Tutorial] How to use phpMyAdmin
Pixel8r wrote:I have started phpMyAdmin have selected the correct database, do I just copy the code supplied above into the Run SQL query/queries on database box and hit go?
Seems to be correct.

Regards
Wolfgang
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Just a warning. A tool like phpMyAdmin is very powerful and you can issue SQL that can easily delete rows, tables and cause major havoc to your database. You might want to back up your database before doing anything.
Pixel8r

Post by Pixel8r »

Thanks for the advice I always backup anything before making any changes, especially when it is something I am not up to speed on.

Any more tips would be gratefully received. :)
bcooksley

Post by bcooksley »

There is an issue with Smartfeed's ability to display PM's in feeds, which causes them to not be visible in UCP if not previously viewed.

This is because they are not processed by phpBB's PM system, which will only deliver a message if it is new.

How to fix this:
Not mark messages as read when showing them in a feed.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

bcooksley wrote:There is an issue with Smartfeed's ability to display PM's in feeds, which causes them to not be visible in UCP if not previously viewed.

This is because they are not processed by phpBB's PM system, which will only deliver a message if it is new.

How to fix this:
Not mark messages as read when showing them in a feed.
Further to this the ideal solution appears to be, adjust the pm_unread flag to 0 but leave the pm_new flag at 1, remember to also adjust the user_unread_privmsg column on the users table.
Chris SmithGitHub
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

The assumption is if you select the "Add my private messages" option to the feed that you will have read them, and consequently they are no longer new nor unread. I could add a checkbox in a future version to allow the option to leave them unread. I have this for my Digests mod. I will likely add this in a future version since it bothers some.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

MarkDHamill wrote:The assumption is if you select the "Add my private messages" option to the feed that you will have read them, and consequently they are no longer new nor unread. I could add a checkbox in a future version to allow the option to leave them unread. I have this for my Digests mod. I will likely add this in a future version since it bothers some.
The code only suggests it includes new or unread ones and then adjusts the status so they are not new and read, adjusting the new flag breaks phpBB's handling of private messages. Also not adjusting the user_unread/new_privmsg counters will display bogus values to the user when they login.
Chris SmithGitHub
sbloomer

Post by sbloomer »

I am considering using this MOD for my forum to post to twitter using twitterfeed.

Has anyone used this mod for this purpose?
MarkDHamill

3.0.7 compliance

Post by MarkDHamill »

I did a quick test to see if phpBB Smartfeed would install with 3.0.7 using a XAMP installation and there were no errors and the feed seemed to work right and all the file changes reported successful. So I believe the latest version 2.2.17 should work fine with phpBB 3.0.7.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

sbloomer wrote:I am considering using this MOD for my forum to post to twitter using twitterfeed.

Has anyone used this mod for this purpose?
That is an interesting idea... I think I might try that! :)

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”