phpBB Smartfeed

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
MarkDHamill

Re: phpBB Smartfeed

Post by MarkDHamill »

I'd still like to know why this is happening to you. I've dealt with others who had this problem in the past but I thought we had solved all these problems. Unfortunately it is hard to troubleshoot remotely.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Apparently I did not put a good version of smartfeed_url_new_key.php in the 2.2.14 archive. I repacked it and replaced the archive. You may wish to redownload the archive and replace this program.

Also, MODX 1.2.3 is now referenced instead of 1.2.2.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
Shauku

Post by Shauku »

Woh, the mod seems to work and looks very nice :D , but the ACP only gives a blank site. I check the install-file again, but i don´t get it. Any tips? :?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

What do you mean by "a blank site". In the ACP you only control the behavior of Smartfeed.
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by MattF »

Shauku wrote:Woh, the mod seems to work and looks very nice :D , but the ACP only gives a blank site. I check the install-file again, but i don´t get it. Any tips? :?
Check your php error log... I think you mean you get a blank page when you are in the ACP... This happens when php scripts die due to errors... Your error log will help you find out what the problem is...
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
czed

Post by czed »

I've had a look for an answer to this question, couldn't find a specific comment, my apologies if i missed it.

I've installed this mod and have it working on prosilver_se
My question is regarding the security on rss feeds which include private forums.

I can confirm it working here, logged in as admin, the private forums appeared in the list, and the url generated. In an earlier post you mention that the uri includes an authentication code but sharing this URL may allow the feed to be compromised.

Is there some form of security that isnt apparent, or did you really mean that anybody given this url will be able to see the posts in private forums? I realise you can set some i.p. level access, but i havent tested this yet.

And is there a way we can see the feeds currently being used and manage/restrict access to them?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

If you share your Smartfeed URL with anyone, they can see all the posts in the feed that you would see, subject to the filtering criteria. If privacy is a concern, you can limit the URL to your IP range. In addition, the board Admin can set an option in the ACP that ensures that all encryption strings work for the IP range in which the encryption string was first generated.

Of course if you share your username and password with anyone, they can also access the forum as you from anywhere. At least Smartfeed is read only.

So no, it is not perfect security and never will be. However, it was good enough for the phpBB Mod Team.
czed

Post by czed »

yep, wasnt meant as criticism, merely wanted to clarify. Thanks for the reply.

Several of the people who access the private forums use google reader for RSS feeds, with I.P. security enabled, they wont be able to read the feed via google or any "cloud" based reader, correct?

I've restricted the number of items in the feed, which is at least some form of security.

In the generated url, there is a variable called u, which i assume is a unique identifier for the particular user that created the feed? is there a way that an admin, with access to the sql database can link this variable to the phpbb user id?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Yes, if Google Reader acts as a proxy, then if IP security is enabled it will fail. However, now that you bring it to my attention, the user should be able to specify an IP mask for clouds like Google. Of course I am not sure Google publicizes their proxy IPs.

The "u" parameter corresponds to the phpBB user_id for the user. The "e" (encrypted password") parameter is the encrypted value of the MD5 password for the user, encrypted using the value of the user_smartfeed_key column, which itself is generated from a random number. So really the only way to decrypt it would be to have access to the phpbb_users table. Add in IP authentication and it also has to come from a mask of the user's IP that was used when the "e" parameter was created.
czed

Post by czed »

beaut, smart.

Going back to the url itself, there are various user preferences that would be useful in at least restricting the amount of data that a person who inadvertantly comes across a private forum URL has access to, such as restricting the number of characters in the posts that form part of the feed, but there is no way for an admin to set this figure, are you able to give me instructions on how to hard code this?

the logic is that if we cant use i.p. restriction in all cases, then i can restrict the number of posts in the feed, remove the usernames that posted them and then reduce the amount of text that gets displayed via the feed, reducing the usefulness for somebody snooping that cant read the post itself on the forum.

If you can think of a better way to achieve this, please feel free to steer me, im no coder, but pretty experienced with running phpBB forums for non profits, and it's changes to the management structure of these non profits and making sure that all rights given to specific users can be tracked and revoked when necessary that interests me.
czed

Post by czed »

VSE wrote:
Shauku wrote:Woh, the mod seems to work and looks very nice :D , but the ACP only gives a blank site. I check the install-file again, but i don´t get it. Any tips? :?
Check your php error log... I think you mean you get a blank page when you are in the ACP... This happens when php scripts die due to errors... Your error log will help you find out what the problem is...
I actually had this problem with the 2 installs i did to check out this mod.
In both cases it was my fault, but it was in editing the files at
language/en/acp/board.php,
language/en/acp/common.php
That caused this problem to start

Clicking on the smartfeed settings option in the ACP (or most of the settings options in the general tab of the ACP) you are redirected to a blank page.

Replace these files with originals, clear your cache, and try to get into the other acp settings, if it works then try making the necessary changes to these files again and see if you still get the blank page problem.
Once i followed the instructions more carefully, it all worked fine, although I can't be more specific as to what i did wrong.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

czed wrote:beaut, smart.

Going back to the url itself, there are various user preferences that would be useful in at least restricting the amount of data that a person who inadvertantly comes across a private forum URL has access to, such as restricting the number of characters in the posts that form part of the feed, but there is no way for an admin to set this figure, are you able to give me instructions on how to hard code this?

the logic is that if we cant use i.p. restriction in all cases, then i can restrict the number of posts in the feed, remove the usernames that posted them and then reduce the amount of text that gets displayed via the feed, reducing the usefulness for somebody snooping that cant read the post itself on the forum.

If you can think of a better way to achieve this, please feel free to steer me, im no coder, but pretty experienced with running phpBB forums for non profits, and it's changes to the management structure of these non profits and making sure that all rights given to specific users can be tracked and revoked when necessary that interests me.
You can limit the total number of posts in the feed in the ACP, but this simply adds a LIMIT statement to the SQL meaning that forums that would normally appear first in the feed will probably have all their posts and forums that appear later in the feed may not appear at all. It is a global setting so everyone is affected and it cannot be overridden.

In the ACP the Administrator can globally turn off the showing of user names in topic titles and reply titles. However, the author name still appears in the item's author tag like this:

Code: Select all

<author>no_email@example.com (Mark D Hamill)</author>
Many newsreaders will ignore displaying the information in the author tag, but it can be seen by viewing the XML source.

There is currently no capability to limit the number of posts per forum in the feed, either by and admin or by a user. This adds significant complication to Smartfeed, which is already quite complicated. At the admin level I would have to add a column to the phpbb_forum table to track the maximum number of allowed posts in the feed per topic. At the user level I would have to add a column to the phpbb_digest_subscribed_forums table as well as revamp the logic, which currently assumes if there are no rows in this table for a user they want all forums for which they have permission. In short this is a nice to have feature from my perspective because it would take a lot of rework to get it to work right. It would be hard to explain how to modify the code to do this. It is not something you can fix by changing a few lines of code.
czed

Post by czed »

Presently you have a "Maximum words to display in a post:" variable which is set by the user, there is no admin override for this setting, i was asking if there was a way i can hardcode one.

I'm happy with the number of posts to display option as is, but thanks for explaining how it works, will need to adjust the setting according to a board's overall traffic but it's still effective.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

OK I will consider adding that feature in a future release.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

phpBB Smartfeed

Post by DavidIQ »

MOD Updated to version 2.2.14
See first post for Download Link
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”