Ban Hammer

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Re: Ban Hammer

Post by Sam »

nasadows wrote:You may make a point there I haven't test again but in my view I guess because in the bann list I left some blank lines

I select accounts from the Memberlist, Inactive accounts do not appear in that, so if an inactive account somehow gets in the way, I'm wondering why

Just tell it so the modders will have more clue fixing it tonight
I have actually been rewriting the function that does the actual hammering, but the error handling is suppose to be better.

For now, just avoid hammering users that have not activated yet until 1.1, unless someone wants to make a patch for it now.

EDIT:

I have some more info on 1.1, this is the final feature list of features that are being implemented:
  • Ban Hammer accessible via ACP
  • Ban Hammer accessible via MCP
  • ACP Configuration
    • Assign Trash Can Forum, instead of deletion
    • Assign rank to give hammered members
    • Set predefined Ban reasons
  • Three new Permissions
    • a_hammer_ban - If an admin can use the Ban Hammer
    • a_hammer_settings - If an admin can configure the settings
    • m_hammer_ban - if a moderator can use the Ban Hammer
  • Stop Forum Spam integration - A more last minute feature, but it will have the abilty to automatically report Hammered Users.
  • Error Handling - The current version really has nothing aside from "You can't ban the founder" in terms of error handling, but this new version will be more user friendly in that department.
  • Ability to define a usernote - to give to everyone as the Hammering is taking place
  • Archive spammer's PMs - to posts in the "trash forum"
Screen shots will be available in the next few days. :D

jomasaco

Post by jomasaco »

There is an problem or .... was me.

No matter if the box to remove the post/topic/pm are checked or not they will always be removed.

Sam
Former Team Member

Post by Sam »

jomasaco wrote:There is an problem or .... was me.

No matter if the box to remove the post/topic/pm are checked or not they will always be removed.
Yes, there was a minor bug in includes/acp/acp_ban_hammer.php. Download the zip from the overview page of the mod, and reload that file; no cache purge is necessary.

Onni

Post by Onni »

Possible to have an icon at the userprofile for mods and admins only that allows you to instantly ban the user?

Sam
Former Team Member

Post by Sam »

Onni wrote:Possible to have an icon at the userprofile for mods and admins only that allows you to instantly ban the user?
I could do that for Ban Hammer 1.1. Because Ban Hammer is serious business, I will probably have it populate the field in the MCP; all you have to do from there is hit submit.

CMA

Post by CMA »

very useful and powerful mod but i have one request

- set permission for specific admin or mod only... not all mods
- soft delete until hard delete with founder's approval...

what if mod made a mistake or is backstabber?

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

Soft delete would not really be possible, do to the fact that this is a dependency on another MOD, and If I recall correctly, having a specific auth for using the ban hammer is something that is planned for the 1.1 line.

Sam
Former Team Member

Post by Sam »

Desdenova wrote:Soft delete would not really be possible, do to the fact that this is a dependency on another MOD, and If I recall correctly, having a specific auth for using the ban hammer is something that is planned for the 1.1 line.
That is correct. In addition, I do have planned a way to, instead of deleteing the post, the posts are moved to a forum specifiable in the ACP.

TheSnake

Post by TheSnake »

SyntaxError90 wrote:
Desdenova wrote:Soft delete would not really be possible, do to the fact that this is a dependency on another MOD, and If I recall correctly, having a specific auth for using the ban hammer is something that is planned for the 1.1 line.
That is correct. In addition, I do have planned a way to, instead of deleteing the post, the posts are moved to a forum specifiable in the ACP.
This does sound like a very useful tool to have in ones arsenal to fight the idiots. As soon as I've finished installing & testing the next MOD on my list, I'm going to be installing this MOD.

The only options I am looking for (whether already included, or in next update), is once someone is Ban Hammered, they are permanently banned by their Email, IP, & Username; to delete ALL messages, PM or Topic, etc. including all Profile details, inc (but not limited to) Age, Location, Gender, Birthday, Signature, Avatar, Web Link, Email, ICQ/Yahoo/MSN contact, Occupation etc...

If your moving the posts to a specific forum, is/will there a way of having that as an option? "Delete Permanent" or "Move to Trash (Archive)" as a form of Tick-box or Radio Box options? I personally would prefer all to be permanently deleted, & not dumped into a Trash Can/Forum.

Sam
Former Team Member

Post by Sam »

TheSnake wrote:This does sound like a very useful tool to have in ones arsenal to fight the idiots. As soon as I've finished installing & testing the next MOD on my list, I'm going to be installing this MOD.

The only options I am looking for (whether already included, or in next update), is once someone is Ban Hammered, they are permanently banned by their Email, IP, & Username; to delete ALL messages, PM or Topic, etc. including all Profile details, inc (but not limited to) Age, Location, Gender, Birthday, Signature, Avatar, Web Link, Email, ICQ/Yahoo/MSN contact, Occupation etc...

If your moving the posts to a specific forum, is/will there a way of having that as an option? "Delete Permanent" or "Move to Trash (Archive)" as a form of Tick-box or Radio Box options? I personally would prefer all to be permanently deleted, & not dumped into a Trash Can/Forum.
There is a settings page for the Ban Hammer an administrator would set up, so you wont have to specify it each time you pull out the Hammer. You can tell it to simple delete everything, I wont be removing this option from the next version.

TheSnake

Post by TheSnake »

SyntaxError90 wrote:
TheSnake wrote:This does sound like a very useful tool to have in ones arsenal to fight the idiots. As soon as I've finished installing & testing the next MOD on my list, I'm going to be installing this MOD.

There is a settings page for the Ban Hammer an administrator would set up, so you wont have to specify it each time you pull out the Hammer. You can tell it to simple delete everything, I wont be removing this option from the next version.
Thanks Syntax, for some people, the option to move the spam to another forum might be useful, but for me it's just a case of permanent delete, so I'm glad that function will be staying in the new version.

What about block/ban? Is there, or will there be an option to block/ban based not just on Username, but on Username, Email & IP Address's?

Sam
Former Team Member

Post by Sam »

TheSnake wrote:Thanks Syntax, for some people, the option to move the spam to another forum might be useful, but for me it's just a case of permanent delete, so I'm glad that function will be staying in the new version.

What about block/ban? Is there, or will there be an option to block/ban based not just on Username, but on Username, Email & IP Address's?
Because this MOD is targeted towards eliminating spammers very quickly, banning the email and/or IP of them would just be a waste of resources. I almost never have IPs on permanent ban anyway because they can cycle so frequently. The exception would be blocking access by proxy servers, which usually ends up as blocking a range of IPs

TheSnake

Post by TheSnake »

SyntaxError90 wrote:
TheSnake wrote:Thanks Syntax, for some people, the option to move the spam to another forum might be useful, but for me it's just a case of permanent delete, so I'm glad that function will be staying in the new version.

Because this MOD is targeted towards eliminating spammers very quickly, banning the email and/or IP of them would just be a waste of resources. I almost never have IPs on permanent ban anyway because they can cycle so frequently. The exception would be blocking access by proxy servers, which usually ends up as blocking a range of IPs
Oh ok, thanks anyway. It was only a query really. With everything your MOD does to counteract SPAMmers etc, it's going to being installed on my board tomorrow. :-D

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

As an FYI to you, TheSnake, keep in mind that when you ban an IP, it isn't exactly a light thing to do server-wise. Upon every connection to the server through phpBB, the banlist table is scanned for a matching IP in the blacklist, so if you have ~1000 IP's banned, it may slow your board down some.

TheSnake

Post by TheSnake »

Desdenova wrote:As an FYI to you, TheSnake, keep in mind that when you ban an IP, it isn't exactly a light thing to do server-wise. Upon every connection to the server through phpBB, the banlist table is scanned for a matching IP in the blacklist, so if you have ~1000 IP's banned, it may slow your board down some.
Oh wow, that hadn't occured to me. :o Well I'll be sticking with Username banning anyway. :D

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”