Crazy Maths CAPTCHA Plugin

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
rootmath

Re: Crazy Maths CAPTCHA Plugin

Post by rootmath »

Darth Wong wrote:Not to be overly geeky or anything, but the example question is (sin(x))(x)/(2x)=42, which simplifies to sin(x)/2=42 or sin(x)=84, but the sine function ranges from -1 to 1, so it's impossible to solve. Just saying ...
So glad this came up, I assumed the registration answer would be "false" but I wasn't sure if that would be accepted, that would be a fun trick question to drive people away though!

This is a cool mod!
CowOnDinosaur

Post by CowOnDinosaur »

Anyone having a problem with using powers with this plugin?

For instance:

x^y

...displays just fine but:

"x^y"

...will not. It will show the carot offcenter, above the x and will not raise y at all.

It's impossible to work around it since anything with a space or any even remotely non-simple equations require quotations otherwise it'll spit out a long string of code (a URL construction, it looks like) before displaying the actual equation.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Do you want the quotes to be literally included in the image?
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
CowOnDinosaur

Post by CowOnDinosaur »

No. Let me make it more clear with pictures:

x^y
This is how everyone expects it to look.

"x^y"
This is x^y in quotations. Why not use x^y without quotations? Well this is what happens:

\int_a^b \ f(x) \ dx

Note that this is a very long image, if you view its entirety, you'll see that the equation actually displays correctly after that long string. Any equation with a space or certain characters like + need quotations to be parsed (like working with strings), but here's what happens when I use ^ within quotations to the archetypal integral:

"\int_a^b \ f(x) \ dx"

It should be an integral from a to b, but anything using ^ to raise any object gets garbled. I can find no way around this. I've tried \int \limit_a \limit^b as well, and this isn't even the equation I was originally constructing. Anything both raised to a power and with quotations fails to render correctly.

Encapsulating LaTeX code in { } is also problematic, but if the powers thing is fixed, it may be a non-issue (at least for me).

For instance:

"\int_{-\infty}^\infty \ x^x(\delta-2) \ dx"
the { } are needed to make infinity negative for an integral that goes from negative infinity to positive infinity.

Here it is without quotations:

And here's what it's supposed to look like:
This image was cut from the very tail end of the preceding image.
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

Hm, strange. This looks like an encoding error. The ^ seems to confuse the webserver. Can you verify that the ^ character is causing this to happen?
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
CowOnDinosaur

Post by CowOnDinosaur »

Alright, about two seconds after I submitted that reply, I found a workaround to my problem. To correctly display the integral from negative infinity to positive infinity of x to the x power, delta minus 3, dx, I use:

\int_{-\infty}^\infty" \ "x^x"(\delta-3) \ dx"

...which finally produces the correct image of:

So both { } and spaces have problems parsing within quotations, but simply quoting only spaces seems to do the trick.
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

Great, glad you found a workaround. That's some heavy math there. :)
CowOnDinosaur

Post by CowOnDinosaur »

Yeah, well, spammers on this board were being particularly persistent so I went creative. I actually used a form of Euler's formula (cos x + i sin x = e^ix) and the spammers were apparently not bots and googled the answer and proceeded to spam the board again.

So I designed a simple equation that is both un-google-able and would even thwart someone with a graphing calculator.

The idea was that the person registering would have to ask a member of the community for the answer first (this is for a message board for a game). I could've done something lame like a normal question+answer deal, but that's no fun.

Of course, if the spammer also happens to have studied math up to this point (like an engineer, for instance), then this would be a trivial road block....

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”