Forum SEO

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
stokerpiller

Re: Forum SEO

Post by stokerpiller » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:46 am

jamiet757 wrote:The advanced meta tags mod does the same thing, maybe better, or am I missing something that this does?
No, it doesnt do the same thing. And certainly not better ;)
Automatic generated keywords and descriptions can never be very precise.

This mod allows you to define keywords and description for your forums.
It doesnt do anything with topics.

mre03 wrote:is there a demo i can check out?
You can take a look at the screenshots here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p10959415
or visit this forum
I dont use the bottom seo there.
I am done with phpBB

DoYouSpeakWak
Name: Hans Lassen

Post by DoYouSpeakWak » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:18 pm

jamiet757 wrote:The advanced meta tags mod does the same thing, maybe better, or am I missing something that this does?
As stoker mentions it generates the keywords, not you. this can rarely be as precise as the ones you can do yourself.

To advanced meta tags and forum seo to work together we have to remove the parts from the advanced meta mod that create keywords for the stuff Forum seo creates and only let it work on topic pages.

This is for prosilver.
styles/prosilver/template/overall_header.html
Find

Code: Select all

<meta name="keywords" content="<!-- IF SCRIPT_NAME == "viewforum" -->{FORUM_SEO_KEY}<!-- ENDIF -->" />
<meta name="description" content="<!-- IF SCRIPT_NAME == "viewforum" -->{FORUM_SEO_DESC}<!-- ENDIF -->" />
Replace with

<meta name="keywords" content="<!-- IF SCRIPT_NAME == "viewforum" -->{FORUM_SEO_KEY}<!-- ELSE -->{PAGE_KEYWORDS}<!-- ENDIF -->" />
<meta name="description" content="<!-- IF SCRIPT_NAME == "viewforum" -->{FORUM_SEO_DESC}<!-- ELSE -->{PAGE_DESCRIPTION}<!-- ENDIF -->" />
For more info read this post and the 2 following.
http://www.phpbb3bbcodes.com/viewtopic. ... =20#p25981
Last edited by DoYouSpeakWak on Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you share comes back. Support the phpBB Communities
My Validated and Released Modifications
Offering paid phpBB help and System administrator services.

mre03

Post by mre03 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:21 pm

ok cool, i understand a little better after seeing a demo, btw this mod shouldnt have any conflicts with the seo mod right?

austin881
Name: Austin Maddox

Post by austin881 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:07 pm

The advanced meta tags mod doesn't pay much attention to the viewforum pages. It mainly focuses on the viewtopic pages. In fact, if you use them both in unison, it can be even more powerful.

I have both mods implemented so I use this code in my overall_header.html

<meta name="keywords" content="<!-- IF SCRIPT_NAME == "viewforum" and FORUM_SEO_KEY -->{FORUM_SEO_KEY}<!-- ELSE -->{PAGE_KEYWORDS}<!-- ENDIF -->" />
<meta name="description" content="<!-- IF SCRIPT_NAME == "viewforum" and FORUM_SEO_DESC -->{FORUM_SEO_DESC}<!-- ELSE -->{PAGE_DESCRIPTION}<!-- ENDIF -->" />

stokerpiller, I can't thank you enough for this mod. It is very simple and easy to use and although I haven't seen the positive effects of it in my search engine rankings yet, I'm sure I will soon enough.

If you ask me, this is the kind of mod that should be included in the main trunk of phpbb code.
Available for paid phpBB help! PM me.

My Extensions/MODS: 475 Narius Categorized Smilies for phpBB3, Simplified & Compacted All-Members page, Flash Animated Cumulus Tag Cloud, "Hello" Name Tag of Newest User, AWS S3
phpBB portfolio: chevy truck forum, chevy astro van forum

bgallz

Post by bgallz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:32 pm

After doing the file edits, when I go to the forums area in the ACP I get this error message at the top:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 150: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/acp/forums.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 152: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/acp/forums.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 153: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/acp/forums.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 154: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/acp/forums.php:1)

stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:39 pm

bgallz wrote:After doing the file edits, when I go to the forums area in the ACP I get this error message at the top:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 150: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/acp/forums.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 152: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/acp/forums.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 153: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/acp/forums.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 154: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/acp/forums.php:1)
Make sure that you have made all edits, and uploaded the edited files.
Check this file edit: language/en/acp/forums.php
I am done with phpBB

bgallz

Post by bgallz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:42 pm

I double checked all file edits as well as the language file. The right content is put before the "?>".

I purged the cache and updated templates.

stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Yes, like this:

//Forum SEO
$lang = array_merge($lang, array(
	'FORUM_SEO_SETTINGS'			=> 'Forum SEO',
	'FORUM_SEO_KEY'					=> 'SEO keywords',
	'FORUM_SEO_KEY_EXPLAIN'			=> 'Enter your preferred SEO keywords here. Seperate with comma: ",".',
	'FORUM_SEO_DESC'				=> 'SEO description',
	'FORUM_SEO_DESC_EXPLAIN'		=> 'Enter your preferred SEO description here.',
	'FORUM_SEO_BOTTOM'				=> 'SEO bottom',
    'FORUM_SEO_BOTTOM_EXPLAIN'		=> 'Enter your preferred SEO bottom description here.<br />This is displayed in the bottom of the forum.',
));

?>
Zip the language file and post a download link for it. Then I will take a look.
I am done with phpBB

bgallz

Post by bgallz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:50 pm

I uploaded the forums.php file here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nzy4jxnytgh

Thanks.

Edit: this seems to be happening with any language file that I edit. I tried editing another one in a mods folder under language and it did the same thing, even when I didn't alter any part of it...

stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:03 pm

Okay, then the problem is your file editor. You need to save as UTF8 witout BOM.
Try with notepad´++
I am done with phpBB

normandy88

Post by normandy88 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:11 pm

subsilver???

stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:32 pm

normandy88 wrote:subsilver???
No thanks ;)
The edits would be quite similar though.
I am done with phpBB

bgallz

Post by bgallz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:43 am

Using notepad++ worked! Thank you! :)

astonmak

Post by astonmak » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:56 pm

I have installed the MOD at my forum (but chinese version), and also i have amend the code that should be done on "language/en/acp/forums.php " to the "language/zh_cmn_hant/acp/forums.php", but i still cannot get the screen to key in my keywords and description at ACP.

I have do it over and over again. I believe the MOD is support Multi-language as it is support UTF-8, also i'm using Notepad++ to do the editing, would u mind to let me know where is my problem.

Many thanks.
-----------------------------------------
Im new in phpbb. :>

stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:13 pm

Make sure that you have made the edits to: adm/style/acp_forums.html
and purged cache.
I am done with phpBB

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”