phpBB mChat

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
WhiteRaven101

Re: mChat new version

Post by WhiteRaven101 »

I try again since no one have answered my two previous post regarding the same issue...

Is it possible to have the chat shown on top of a subforum? Instead of having it shown at Index, I would like to have it shown in a subforum for off-topic chat.

Please answer as I'm quite desperate ;)

Thanks in advance.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

You can set the sub-forum as a link and when someone clicks on it, it will open the chat. Then just change the option in the ACP to not display on index.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

cmatte

Post by cmatte »

I've this version of mChat and it works fine.
The other side of the medal is I'm experiencing a real matter with it.
An user group keeps having permission granted to "Can manage mChat settings", it doesn't change if I set it to NO or NEVER. The ACP says option modified, but as soon as I go there again I see it's GRANTED.

How do I solve this? I'm getting crazy checking every permission out there...with no solution found at all, still same behaviour.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

If I was to guess I would say you have two of the same mchat permissions in the database for that group...never experienced this before though and have no idea how it would even happen.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer

WhiteRaven101

Post by WhiteRaven101 »

RMcGirr83 wrote:You can set the sub-forum as a link and when someone clicks on it, it will open the chat. Then just change the option in the ACP to not display on index.
I've already done that. But what if I would like to have both the mChat AND the forumtopics on the same page. Just as when showed on Index? I don't know if it's even possible, but I got to ask, right.. :D

mobo_1

Post by mobo_1 »

Hi Stokerpiller,

I posted a problem on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 pm . I appreciate your reply. I checked each file to make sure it was copied over. I also checked the edits for each and they were all there. I refreshed the styles as well. I still get the same error.

The ajax/auto refresh does not work. I have to manually refresh the page.

Here is a link to My Forum.
I created a test account for you.
un= stoker
pw= stoker123

I have enabled the chat for you. Please let me know if there is anyhting else I can do.

Here is what was previously posted:

-------------------------------------------------
by mobo_1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 pm

I just installed mini-chat. Everything looks good. The only problem I'm having is that messages do not post when I hit send. I need to refresh the page and then it shows each message I just submitted.

I could not find a solution on my own and searched the forum. Any advice? I't probably some setting I forgot to check. Or maybe its my browser?

I also notice a the auto update every 10 seconds gives me an error and makes a nice farting sound.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Some info:
Style: Prosilver
Browser: IE 8
phpBB3 v: 3.0.6
Hosted on Windows Server 2003
MSSQL / ODBCmobo_1

Private messageE-mail mobo_1 Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report this postReply with quote Re: mChat new version
by stokerpiller » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:45 pm

geoschiss -> The height of the mchat can be changed in the css. You will find it in the mchat folder.

mobo_1 -> This happens when you forget to edit overall_header.html or to upload all files.
Post a link if you are having trouble.
I also got this error when I click on the Chat Icon:

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mssql_odbc ]

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'mchat.php'. [S0022]

SQL

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT s.session_ip) as num_guests FROM phpbb_sessions s WHERE s.session_user_id = 1 AND s.session_time >= 1264015740 AND s.session_page = "mchat.php"

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mssql_odbc.php
LINE: 165
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/functions_mchat.php
LINE: 53
CALL: dbal_mssql_odbc->sql_query()

LINE: 78
CALL: mchat_obtain_guest_count()

LINE: 216
CALL: mchat_obtain_users_online()

FILE: mchat.php
LINE: 818
CALL: mchat_users()

MPG187
Name: Operation 420

Post by MPG187 »

Can I make it appear on all pages and not just the index? And where are the chat messages stored? In the database?
phpBB 3.0.4, http://operation420.net/forum, download package from phpBB.com (fresh install), mods installed, British English, MySQL 4.1.14

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

MPG187 wrote:Can I make it appear on all pages and not just the index?
Only if you wanted to seriously edit your php files (you would have to include the edits in index.php as well as to all the html files)
And where are the chat messages stored? In the database?
Yes, they are stored in the database.

MPG187

Post by MPG187 »

Only if you wanted to seriously edit your php files (you would have to include the edits in index.php as well as to all the html files)
Could I edit index.php and the ones for viewtopic and view forum? Maximum 3 edits?

Is there a way I can store them somewhere else? I want the shoutbox to be just an area for mostly BS and I don't want shouts to clutter my database... Is there another shoutbox mod that stores it somewhere else?
phpBB 3.0.4, http://operation420.net/forum, download package from phpBB.com (fresh install), mods installed, British English, MySQL 4.1.14

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

I think you misunderstood my statement about the database. To my knowledge >all< php based "shout boxes" have to store the messages in the database. Flash based ones may not, then again they may.

The messages and config entries for the chat are stored in their own tables within the database. If you want to remove the mod in the future, you undo the edits to the php and html files, run the UMIL install file and select "uninstall", then delete the two mchat tables in the database and the mod is uninstalled.

Yes you can add those edits for index.php to viewtopic and viewforum. Try placing the edits that are for index.php into viewtopic.php and viewforum.php just above where page_footer is called within those files. You would then have to add the html file from the mod into viewtopic_body.html and viewforum_body.html probably either towards the top or the bottom of each file.

BTW, I'm not going to support problems that may arise because of this<---- shameless waiver.

cmatte

Post by cmatte »

RMcGirr83 wrote:If I was to guess I would say you have two of the same mchat permissions in the database for that group...never experienced this before though and have no idea how it would even happen.
Where should I give a look in the db (I hope I'll have it available soon to modify it and solve the embarrassing matter)?

MPG187

Post by MPG187 »

I didn't misunderstand the statement about the database. I understand this mod uses the database and was asking if there was a way to change that or another mod that didn't.

Anyways, is there a way I can make it use a different database than my forum? That way when I back up the database the shouts aren't backed up?

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

I'm sorry cmatte, I don't feel comfortable is telling you how to do that. It isn't easy but the Support Tool kit may be able to do it for you.

From that link:
Duplicate permissions: Removes duplicate permissions which can break the auth system.
Anyways, is there a way I can make it use a different database than my forum? That way when I back up the database the shouts aren't backed up?
If you set the prune amount in the ACP, then every time someone visits the custom page or the archive page the table will be pruned down to the number of messages as specified in the ACP. Alternatively, when you do your backup you can tell your backup to ignore the mchat tables.

As this mod resides and relies upon phpBB there is no easy way to be able to have it connect to a different database and is really outside the scope of this modification.

MPG187

Post by MPG187 »

I don't feel comfortable is telling you how to do that
Why don't you feel comfortable?
Alternatively, when you do your backup you can tell your backup to ignore the mchat tables.
I could, but then everytime I backed up I would have to do that. It's easiest just to do the whole thing...

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

MPG187 wrote:
I don't feel comfortable is telling you how to do that
Why don't you feel comfortable?
Because it could really mess up his auth system and I would prefer to not be the one to be blamed for it.
Alternatively, when you do your backup you can tell your backup to ignore the mchat tables.
I could, but then everytime I backed up I would have to do that. It's easiest just to do the whole thing...
Then just set the prune feature and back them up. There is no alternative solution with this mod.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”