phpBB Digests

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
MarkDHamill

Re: phpBB Digests

Post by MarkDHamill » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 pm

All the files copies and file changes can be done manually by following the instructions in the install.xml file. As for file copies, it's quite clear in the install.xml file:

Code: Select all

File copy

Copy: root/mail_digests.php
          To: mail_digests.php

Copy: root/umil_digests_install.php
          To: umil_digests_install.php

Copy: root/includes/ucp/ucp_digests.php
          To: includes/ucp/ucp_digests.php

Copy: root/includes/ucp/info/ucp_digests.php
          To: includes/ucp/info/ucp_digests.php

Copy: root/language/en/email/digests_html.txt
          To: language/en/email/digests_html.txt

Copy: root/language/en/email/digests_plain_html.txt
          To: language/en/email/digests_plain_html.txt

Copy: root/language/en/email/digests_text.txt
          To: language/en/email/digests_text.txt

Copy: root/language/en/mods/ucp_digests.php
          To: language/en/mods/ucp_digests.php

Copy: root/umil/*.*
          To: umil/*.*

Copy: root/styles/prosilver/template/mail_digests_html.html
          To: styles/prosilver/template/mail_digests_html.html

Copy: root/styles/prosilver/template/mail_digests_text.html
          To: styles/prosilver/template/mail_digests_text.html

Copy: root/styles/prosilver/template/ucp_digests.html
          To: styles/prosilver/template/ucp_digests.html
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed mods and extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

mehulved

Post by mehulved » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:15 am

John728 wrote:I'm trying to install phpBB Digests 2.2.7 on phpBB 3.0.7-PL1 using AutoMOD. I have been following the instructions. I already tried but I accidentally didn't download the .zip archive to use for installing the first time, so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. It sent me the .zip archive of files to use for uninstalling. Do I have to copy those back over before I try installing again? I got the .zip archive of files to use when installing, the second time I tried to install.

AutoMOD sent me the .zip file and I extracted it, but I can't tell where the files go.
This happens due to incorrect permissions. So, when your web server isn't able to write the changes to the files, it zips and sends it to you for uploading manually.

John728

New problem

Post by John728 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:17 am

OK. When I tried to install using AutoMOD, it:

-uploaded the files like it was supposed to
-didn't make any of the file changes
-reported that it had made all the file changes successfully
-sent me a .zip file full of meaningless files and wrong directories and told me to upload them, but didn't say where to.

I wish I had never heard of automod. I made the changes referenced in the readme.html and install.xml files and it seemed to work. It was very easy.

On to the next problem. I ran the umil_digests_install.php and it said "Done." I then deleted that file as per the instructions.

"For "Hour sent" select the current hour in your current time zone." I don't know what that means, so I tried it both ways. When I select the previous hour (for example, selecting 6 pm when it is 6:30 pm), I get this error:
Starting mail_digests.php

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/.sites/132/site21/web/cgi-bin/phpbb/mail_digests.php:1107) in /home/.sites/132/site21/web/cgi-bin/phpbb/includes/functions.php on line 3542
Return to the index page
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table 'iatse728bb.phpbb3_digests_subscribed_forums' doesn't exist [1146]

SQL

SELECT * FROM phpbb3_digests_subscribed_forums WHERE user_id = 2

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysqli.php
LINE: 163
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: mail_digests.php
LINE: 489
CALL: dbal_mysqli->sql_query()
When I select the next hour (for example, selecting 7 pm when it is 6:30 pm), I get:

Starting mail_digests.php
Ending mail_digests.php

Also, when I click on the "Forums Selection" tab, I get:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table 'iatse728bb.phpbb3_digests_subscribed_forums' doesn't exist [1146]

SQL

SELECT forum_id FROM phpbb3_digests_subscribed_forums WHERE user_id = 2

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysqli.php
LINE: 163
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/ucp/ucp_digests.php
LINE: 366
CALL: dbal_mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 507
CALL: ucp_digests->main()

FILE: ucp.php
LINE: 321
CALL: p_master->load_active()
I don't know how to make any MySQL changes, other than using the umil_digests_install.php method above. If it helps, I have been getting new post notifications via the built-in subscribe feature, so I know the board is sending me email. I double-checked the digest settings as per the DIY instructions.

Could the problem be permission related as far as making MySQL changes? I have had to contact the ISP before about giving me full permissions. I believe I have full permissions now for everything in the phpbb root directory, but if the MySQL information is stored elsewhere, I might not.

Mark: Thanks for your quick response to the earlier question.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Clearly not all the installation occurred. It looks like the SQL changes did not happen.

I didn't write AutoMod so I can't take responsibility for it, but it does depend on configuring it correctly after installation. Many users are not aware of this and assume there is nothing else they have to do, and so issues happen. In future versions I guess I will have to warn people about this. Really the AutoMod authors should do a better job of warning people.

Same is true with UMIL which makes the database changes and installs the modules. I used a sample program and modified it but it looks like in the next version I will have to see what error handling is supported. I probably need to test if errors occurred at certain steps.

To deal with your problems, first do the file copies and file changes manually using the install.xml file instructions.

Unfortunately, I do not have a set of separate instructions in version 2.2.7 on how to make the database changes manually. I did have them in version 2.2.5. Here are the 2.2.5 changes followed by the changes to upgrade to 2.2.6, then from 2.2.6 to 2.2.7. This assumes MySQL. The advantage of UMIL is that it works with any database. You may first want to see what SQL changes if any have already been installed and if necessary alter or drop tables as needed to start fresh.

CREATE TABLE phpbb_digests_subscribed_forums (
  user_id mediumint(8) NOT NULL default '0',
  forum_id mediumint(8) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (user_id,forum_id));
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_type varchar(4) NOT NULL default 'NONE';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_format varchar(4) NOT NULL default 'HTML';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_show_mine tinyint(4) unsigned NOT NULL default '1';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_send_on_no_posts tinyint(4) unsigned NOT NULL default '0';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_send_hour_gmt decimal(5,2) NOT NULL default '0.00';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_show_pms tinyint(4) unsigned NOT NULL default '1';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_max_posts mediumint(8) unsigned default NULL;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_min_words mediumint(8) unsigned default NULL;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_remove_foes tinyint(4) unsigned NOT NULL default '0';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_sortby varchar(13) NOT NULL default 'board';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_max_display_words mediumint(8) unsigned default '0';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_reset_lastvisit tinyint(4) unsigned NOT NULL default '1';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_filter_type varchar(3) NOT NULL default 'ALL';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_pm_mark_read tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '0';
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD user_digest_new_posts_only tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '0';
UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_digest_type = 'NONE' WHERE TRIM(user_digest_type) = '';
UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_digest_format = 'HTML' WHERE TRIM(user_digest_format) = '';
UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_digest_sortby = 'board' WHERE TRIM(user_digest_sortby) = '';
UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_digest_filter_type = 'ALL' WHERE TRIM(user_digest_filter_type) = '' OR user_digest_filter_type = '0';
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_custom_stylesheet_path', 'prosilver/theme/digest_stylesheet.css');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_digests_title', 'phpBB Digests');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_enable_auto_subscriptions', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_enable_custom_stylesheets', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_enable_log', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_host', 'phpbbservices.com');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_key_value', '');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_max_items', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_page_url', 'http://phpbbservices.com/digests/');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_require_key', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_show_output', '1');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_check_all_forums', '1');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_filter_type', 'ALL');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_format', 'HTML');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_max_display_words', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_max_posts', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_min_words', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_new_posts_only', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_pm_mark_read', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_remove_foes', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_reset_lastvisit', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_send_hour_gmt', '-1');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_send_on_no_posts', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_show_mine', '1');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_show_pms', '1');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_sortby', 'board');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_user_digest_type', 'DAY');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_version', '2.2.5');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_weekly_digest_day', '0');

ALTER TABLE `phpbb_users` CHANGE `user_digest_send_hour_gmt` `user_digest_send_hour_gmt` DECIMAL( 5, 2 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.00';
ALTER TABLE `phpbb_users` CHANGE `user_digest_max_display_words` `user_digest_max_display_words` MEDIUMINT( 8 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0';
ALTER TABLE `phpbb_users` CHANGE `user_digest_max_posts` `user_digest_max_posts` MEDIUMINT( 8 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0';
ALTER TABLE `phpbb_users` CHANGE `user_digest_min_words` `user_digest_min_words` MEDIUMINT( 8 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0';

INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_from_email_name', '');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_from_email_address', '');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('digests_reply_to_email_address', '');
UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '2.2.7' WHERE config_name = 'digests_version';
As for installing the modules, the key information is in the version 2.2.5 archive in the readme.html file. Here they are, slightly corrected:

5. Add a Digests interface to the User Control Panel

Goal: add a new tab called "Digests" in the User Control Panel. Here users will control their digest settings.

1. Log into the Administration Control Panel.
2. System tab > Module Management > User Control Panel
3. In the text box, enter "Digests" and press "Create new module"
4. Check Yes for "Module enabled" and press Submit
5. Click on the "Back to previous page" link
6. Now we will add four digest modules to the new UCP category we created. We'll start with Basics. Click on the new Digests link you just created.
7. Open the control to the left of the "Add Module" button. Find "Digests [ucp_digests]" and select "Basics" under it. Then click Add Module.
8. When prompted with an "Are you sure you want to add the selected module with the selected mode?" click "Yes".
9. Click on the "Back to previous page" link
10. Click on the "Enable" link next to the Basics module you just added.
11. Repeat steps 7-10 three times adding modules "Forums Selection", "Post Filter" and "Additional Criteria" in turn

6. Add a Digests interface to the Administration Control Panel

Goal: add a new category and three modules on the General Tab of the Administration Control Panel for administering Digests. Once done you will be able to control how digests behave and are administered.

1. Log into the Administration Control Panel.
2. System tab > Module Management >Administration Control Panel
3. Click on the "General" link
4. In the text box, enter "Digest settings" and press "Create new module"
5. Check Yes for "Module enabled" and press Submit
6. Click on the "Back to previous page" link
7. Now we will add two digest modules to the new ACP category we created. We'll start with General settings. Click on the new Digest Settings link you just created.
8. Open the select control to the left of the "Add Module" button. Find "Board Management [acp_board]" and select "General settings " under it. Then click Add Module.
9. When prompted with an "Are you sure you want to add the selected module with the selected mode?" click "Yes".
10. Click on the "Back to previous page" link
11. Click on the "Enable" link next to the Basics module you just added.
12. Repeat steps 8-11 once adding modules "User default settings".

jrobbio

Post by jrobbio » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:31 pm

I initially needed to upgrade my digests installation from 2.20 to 2.27 through the upgrade process, but it ended up being a semi disaster so I started again with a full installation of 2.27 on a clean install of phpBB 3.7 (using the existing MySQL instance).

A couple of observations:
1) The UMIL simply did not work (although it gave me a success message) and didn't produce any helpful errors. Using your manual SQL script above, I was able to ascertain what was and wasn't set up on the tables
2) I found it far less confusing to follow the install.xml file than to use the Automod program as it simply did not add the correct fields to every single file.

I have checked and double checked that I have followed every step in the install.xml and run the digests_umil.install.php followed by the SQL script above (as it didn't work). I have managed to successfully complete everything apart from the final step to include the ACP Digests board management:
8. Open the select control to the left of the "Add Module" button. Find "Board Management [acp_board]" and select "General settings " under it. Then click Add Module.
9. When prompted with an "Are you sure you want to add the selected module with the selected mode?" click "Yes".
10. Click on the "Back to previous page" link
11. Click on the "Enable" link next to the Basics module you just added.
12. Repeat steps 8-11 once adding modules "User default settings".
The General Settings and User default settings just do not appear in the ACP Board Management section.

I think this is the correct part of the UMIL that I am struggling to understand how to do manually:

// Add the ACP Digest Settings Category, placed under the General Tab
		$umil->module_add(array(
			array('acp', 'ACP_CAT_GENERAL', 'ACP_DIGEST_SETTINGS')
		));

// Add the General Settings and User Default Settings to the Digest Settings category in the ACP.
		$umil->module_add(array(
			array('acp', 'ACP_DIGEST_SETTINGS', array(
					'module_basename'   => 'board',
					'module_langname'   => 'ACP_DIGEST_GENERAL_SETTINGS',
					'module_mode'       => 'digest_general',
					'module_auth'       => 'acl_a_board',
				),
			),
			array('acp', 'ACP_DIGEST_SETTINGS', array(
					'module_basename'   => 'board',
					'module_langname'   => 'ACP_DIGEST_USER_DEFAULT_SETTINGS',
					'module_mode'       => 'digest_user_defaults',
					'module_auth'       => 'acl_a_board',
				),
			),
		));
Could you advise on what it is that I need to check? I've gone through all your previous posts with the suggestions you have made, but it still does not appear to function.

JR

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:53 pm

JR, I am sorry for all your hassles. I will definitely upgrade the UMIL interface in the next version to do better error checking. I should probably add warnings about AutoMod and UMIL in general.

A number of people have reported problems similar to yours. I assume you have purged the cache. You said you made file changes correctly, but to add the module phpBB must integrate ACP changes with language variable changes. Are you using a non-standard language pack, ex: en-us vs en? If so any changes to en will have to be made to en-us.

Language constants are added to includes/acp/info/acp_board.php as shown in the install.xml file

// phpBB Digest MOD - Addition begin -------------------------------------------------------
				'digest_general'		=> array('title' => 'ACP_DIGEST_GENERAL_SETTINGS', 'auth' => 'acl_a_board', 'cat' => array('ACP_BOARD_CONFIGURATION')),
				'digest_user_defaults'	=> array('title' => 'ACP_DIGEST_USER_DEFAULT_SETTINGS', 'auth' => 'acl_a_board', 'cat' => array('ACP_BOARD_CONFIGURATION')),
				// phpBB Digest MOD - Addition end ---------------------------------------------------------
The language changes are in language/en/acp/common.php

// phpBB Digests MOD - Addition begin -------------------------------------------------------
$lang = array_merge($lang, array(
	'ACP_DIGEST_SETTINGS'						=> 'Digest settings',
	'ACP_DIGEST_GENERAL_SETTINGS'				=> 'General settings',
	'ACP_DIGEST_GENERAL_SETTINGS_EXPLAIN'		=> 'These are the general digests settings.',
	'ACP_DIGEST_USER_DEFAULT_SETTINGS'			=> 'User default settings',
	'ACP_DIGEST_USER_DEFAULT_SETTINGS_EXPLAIN'	=> 'This settings allow administrators to set the defaults users see when they subscribe to a digest.',
));
// phpBB Digests MOD - Addition end ---------------------------------------------------------
If you have purged your cache and the file changes have been made, it's a bit of a mystery why you would not see this. It doesn't appear that it is because you have other mods installed. In any event the acp_modules.php program runs the interface that links the data and it would take some heavy debugging to determine what is not being seen, and why.

Hope this helps.

jrobbio

Post by jrobbio » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Yes all the code you quoted is in those files.
If you have purged your cache and the file changes have been made, it's a bit of a mystery why you would not see this. It doesn't appear that it is because you have other mods installed. In any event the acp_modules.php program runs the interface that links the data and it would take some heavy debugging to determine what is not being seen, and why.
I am assuming that when you click "purge the cache" on the General tab it does remove the cache for the Admin area too?

I did originally have a Digests ACP area from 2.20, but other than that there was no modifications to the backend. The only additional modules are AutoMod and Digests to a clean install of phpBB 3.7, but the MySQL is from an existing setup.

I went to the language pack details (British English) and looked at the common.php for the ACP and they are appearing in the list at the bottom.

Could something from a legacy version be preventing this?

mehulved

Post by mehulved » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:15 pm

MarkDHamill wrote:Clearly not all the installation occurred. It looks like the SQL changes did not happen.

I didn't write AutoMod so I can't take responsibility for it, but it does depend on configuring it correctly after installation. Many users are not aware of this and assume there is nothing else they have to do, and so issues happen. In future versions I guess I will have to warn people about this. Really the AutoMod authors should do a better job of warning people.

Same is true with UMIL which makes the database changes and installs the modules. I used a sample program and modified it but it looks like in the next version I will have to see what error handling is supported. I probably need to test if errors occurred at certain steps.
The problem, as I observed in my case, is that Automod correctly reports success even if it fails to write to the file. What it does is instead it gives you the file to download and then upload manually. It would report failure only if it wasn't able to find where the change should occur.
In short, if Automod fails to write to the file, it will still report success but it will give you a zip file to download, which will contain the correct file, it has to be uploaded by you manually.

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:08 pm

This is similar to the Automatic Update feature when upgrading phpBB. The problem is that AutoMod is not documented very well. It is easy to install but there are certain assumptions built into it that a casual user will not expect.

rc31

Post by rc31 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:28 am

MarkDHamill wrote:This code creates the URL for the link:

'POST_LINK'		=> ($is_html) ? sprintf('<a href="%sviewtopic.php?f=%s&t=%s&p%s#p%s">%s</a>%s', $board_url, $post_row['forum_id'], $post_row['topic_id'], $post_row['topic_first_post_id'], $post_row['post_id'], $post_row['post_id'], "\n") : $post_row['post_id'] . "\n" ,
$board_url is created as follows on line 58:

$board_url = generate_board_url() . '/';
generate_board_url is a function in includes/functions.php starting on line 2238.

It is most likely an issue with a phpBB configuration variable. I don't know how much of a programmer you are, but the problem is probably at one of these lines in functions.php.

$script_path = $config['script_path'];
or

$script_path = $user->page['root_script_path'];
In short, it's probably an issue with how your board is configured, and not phpBB Digests since it calls a canned routine to generate the URL.
I dont know why this happens but i fixed it . I just replaced the post link <a href="%sviewtopic.php ti the <a href="%sdistribution/viewtopic.php and it worked just fine .

Thanks for the help .

MarkDHamill

2.2.8 development plans

Post by MarkDHamill » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:38 pm

See this topic:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2039785

Apparently I have been doing things wrong and posting future development discussion in this topic. Please post comments there. I will try to keep this topic to support issues for approved versions of the mod only.

smartissimo

Post by smartissimo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi,

As I see I can set uop that new users will subscribe the digests automatically. What about existing users? Can anyone help me on how to subscribe all users to a weekly digest?

Thanks!

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:51 pm

That will likely be a feature in the next release.

smartissimo

Post by smartissimo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm not a MySQL expert - could you help me with a query to subscribe them all now?

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 pm

Essentially change the user_digest_type to the default you want (DAY, WEEK or MONTH) for those users not already subscribed and probably not administrators either. You might want to set the user_digest_send_hour_gmt to a random number between 0 and 23 inclusively.

Something like:

update phpbb_users
set user_digest_type = 'DAY',
user_digest_send_hour_gmt = FLOOR(0  + RAND() * 23)
where user_type = 0 and user_digest_type = 'NONE'

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”