Global Announcements

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
Elias
Name: Elias

Re: Global Announcements

Post by Elias »

Will this work just like the phpBB2 version works?
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Offering private web hosting. Contact me for details.

ScrapbookSupplies

Post by ScrapbookSupplies »

I don't see how it could because the global announcements are built into version 3.

But, Lefty has a GREAT site announcements mod for v2 (worked with 2.0.22 that I know of) that was super easy to install and operate. It allowed you to post different news for registered users and guests. If you can't find it by searching PM me your email addy and I'll dig it out and email a copy to you. Look for something like site news, site announcements or something like that. I think his user id is Lefty74 or something. :D

Mandarola

Post by Mandarola »

is it work in subsilver2?

updown

Post by updown »

updown wrote:
Civphp wrote:
barrycarlyon wrote:as per the modifcation packaging guidelines, the subsilver2 edits are stored in the templates directory, so open the xml file that is in the templates directory of the modifcation
Nah, bro you only have prosilver listed in the template folder, I checked several times.
you chose the release-link (1.0.0.b) from the first post which is still without subsilver2-template. Try this one for newest version (2.0.0.f)
http://files.barrycarlyon.servegame.org/phpBB/

DeckRev

Post by DeckRev »

I love this mod, has worked wonders in the past in terms of getting news around.

The other day though, I was doing some major forum pruning/deletion, and I deleted a forum that contained an old globalized topic, so now that topic continues to appear at the top of every page, yet when clicked on it naturally goes to the "topic does not exist" message. Is there an easy way to get rid of this? Or is the only way to uninstall and reinstall the mod?

barrycarlyon
Name: Barry Carlyon

Post by barrycarlyon »

It would appear that it may be a glitch in the modification, try resynchronising everything, as the mod makes no major database changes I don't know why this has occurred (obviously the post exists somewhere in the database, hence the mod is showing it).
When deleting a forum with a global announcement the post should go to another forum, as technically a global announcement is forum id = 0 and belongs to no forum....

To those waiting for updates, I finally have some free time, and I'm working on the mod now :-)
Barry Carlyon

kholman

Post by kholman »

As mentioned before, this mod has become a critical "must have" for one of my board customers and we anxiously await its finalization. Thank you BarryCarlyon!

One thing I have noticed in my attempts to install in a 3.0.0 prosilver forum is that the navigation on the xml instructions skips the last two instructions for edits for viewtopic_body.html

I don't know if that might be related in any way to the last couple of bugs to be worked out but thought you should be aware.

barrycarlyon

Post by barrycarlyon »

Hmm i think it is internet explorer being s*** with regards to missing instructions, just checked and here is nothing wrong with the file syntax....
Barry Carlyon

barrycarlyon

Post by barrycarlyon »

@deckrev, I've just did what you did, and the result was not the same, my post still appears (as it should), it is still a global announcement, and i can view it fine.

When you say "old globalized topic" do you mean, it has been unglobalized, then at a later date deleted, as if unglobalized, it is impossible to be listed as a global on the other pages (as this mod does), as it is not a global thread...., or if not what do you mean by that?

also, uninstalling and reinstalling wont do anything, as the mod doesnt affect the database, in such away for phantom topics....

edit: (tho thrugh doing this I have spotted a small langauge glitch)

@319
When user get in topic on index page then he see:

"Information
You are not authorized for reading this forum."
I cant duplicate this either (I've tried the permissions thing, regarding its parent forum....)
And one more. Topic has 4 pages, but on index I do not see the pages buttons.
Missed this earlier, will investigate how to add this functionality.....
Barry Carlyon

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

Hi Barry. I see you are back online so I figured I'd repeat my earlier post in case you missed it:
asinshesq wrote:Hi, Barry. If you're still toying with this mod and are open to adding new features, one thing you might consider would be to give the user an option to either (a) show all global topics on the index (as you've got it set up now) or (b) show a single global topics row on the index that looks like a regular forum row and is called 'global announcements.' When a user clicks the so-called global announcements 'forum' on the index page, it would open up to a list of all the global announcements that would look like a viewforum list of topics. Essentially you would be treating the global announcements as their own little forum for purposes of the index page. That way, if the user had a fair number of global announcements and did not want to clutter up the index but still wanted to show people at a glance whether there are any unread global announcments, the user would be able to do so (because the global announcements 'forum' row on the index would have the same orange forum unread icon when there are unread global announcements).

just a thought...

barrycarlyon

Post by barrycarlyon »

well in regards to that, would one not just make a forum for announcements, and put them all in that as regular posts?

doing this would over complicate.... and defeats the object of what a global announcement is and means, ie something of importance, having too many (say more than 3) would just make a mess, (especially on viewtopic, where the mod makes no changes)
Barry Carlyon

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

barrycarlyon wrote:well in regards to that, would one not just make a forum for announcements, and put them all in that as regular posts?
Not as regular posts. If the user wanted to do what you are suggesting, I think the user would just set up an empty forum and the globals would show up there (since they show up on every forum). But the display would look like a regular forum display saying no posts rather than a simple list of globals), and on the index the forum would not show as unread when there are unread globals (which is the real reason why I was suggesting this). The point of my suggestion is to show the user on the index that there are no globals when there are; this would be easy to do, but suit yourself.
doing this would over complicate.... and defeats the object of what a global announcement is and means, ie something of importance, having too many (say more than 3) would just make a mess, (especially on viewtopic, where the mod makes no changes)
I wasn't advocating any change in viewtopic. Just suggesting allowing users to show the index globals that this mod already shows as a miniforum. Keep in mind that on some forums the globals change with some frequency so that allowing the user to see at an instant on the index that there are unread ones is useful. If the forum only has one global, this makes no difference. But if the forum has, say, three or 4 globals, having them show up on the index (rather than just showing a miniforum with them) will clutter up the index.

barrycarlyon

Post by barrycarlyon »

I dont see why a user would have that many globals to warrant the index becoming a mess, defeats the object of them and decreases their important.

However when you reword it like that it makes sense, so I'll see about adding the option
Barry Carlyon

barrycarlyon

Post by barrycarlyon »

version 1.0.0.g is released,

any feature suggestions are rolling in to version 2 so any more would be appreciated.

I've not been able to replicate any of the bugs listed so I can fix them.
hey should be both be made irrelevant in the next version with some of the suggested featues:
seperate forum listing for the globals.

http://files.barrycarlyon.servegame.org/phpbb/
Barry Carlyon

praun

Post by praun »

Hi !

Is it possible to put Announcements only in subforums of a specified kategori with this mod?

If not - is there any other mod that can do this?

ps. Thanks for this great forum software, and tanks alot for this fantastic support forum. I have found answers to many questions here, but this one i couldn't find.

Regards

Peter.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”