Anti-Bot Question

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: Anti-Bot Question

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Xtracker! wrote:There a little grammar problem when registering...

It says...
For protection against spam, Answer the above question.
It would be...

Answer the question above

Any way to fixing this?
Actually to be grammatically correct it should be
For protection against spam, answer the question.

..and you change that in language/xxx/common.php

Code: Select all

'AB_QUESTION_EXPLAIN'			=> 'For protection against spam, Answer the above question.',
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | My extensions are updated regularly on github
All requests for support via PM will be ignored
ding

Post by ding »

Thanks for a great mod, saved me tons of time deleting spammers... :D
Xtracker!

Post by Xtracker! »

TeenReply.com - Teen Support | Teen Advice | Teen Forums :D :D
Bouboule

Post by Bouboule »

Hello

Nice mod i found, but i didn't understand how it works. When the user wants to subscribe he will tip a question that it depend on it so it can be any question, and when he tip a question an other label will appear to tell it enter the answers of the above question like someone who register in google mail or the procedure is different ?

I have some questions here :
In the ACP :
Anti-Bot Question:
This is the question a user must answer to register.
Can i leave it blank ? if yes or no what's the difference between both options and witch is better ? If i enter a question what this question will serve for ? it will appear during the registration of members for example ?
Anti-Bot Answer:
This is the main answer for the question.
The same question as the above option.
Anti-Bot Answer Two:
Here you can add a second answer, a good idea if using a question that requires a numerical answer.
Here really, if just i understand the two above options than i seek to understand this one.

Thinks for help
PedSol

Post by PedSol »

Hi,

How does one go about activating this mod? I installed it as per the instructions in the .XML, but haven't seen anything in my ACP for activation. I also browsed over 10 pages of this thread and don't see any instructions on how to activate the mod. What am I missing? Where am I supposed to see an activation link in the ACP?

Is there some step not mentioned in the installation instructions? All it said was to edit and upload a few files and purge the cache. Is there supposed to be some kind of database work, new files, etc.?

Thanks.
RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

PedSol wrote:Hi,

How does one go about activating this mod? I installed it as per the instructions in the .XML, but haven't seen anything in my ACP for activation. I also browsed over 10 pages of this thread and don't see any instructions on how to activate the mod. What am I missing? Where am I supposed to see an activation link in the ACP?
ACP->User Registration Settings
Is there some step not mentioned in the installation instructions? All it said was to edit and upload a few files and purge the cache. Is there supposed to be some kind of database work, new files, etc.?
Thanks.
There is also a sql update that needs to run on the database which is also in the directions. Subsequently, you can use the file located here which will do the same thing without having to visit phpmyadmin or whatever it is you use to update your database. Download the file, unzip it, upload it into the root of your forum, login as founder and browse to the file to have the database changes made.

BTW, you should take great care in any file that you use to run on your forum that hasn't been validated by the phpBB team, but I'm not a malicious person so you can trust me. :mrgreen:

Bouboule,

The mod, if activated, will add an additional field to the user registration process. When active the field needs a question and an answer set in the ACP->User Registration Settings. The reason for two answers is due to questions such as "What is 5+7?" where the answer can either be "12" or "twelve". If the question is, eg, "What color is a crystal clear blue lake?" then the only logical answer would be "blue"...capitalization does not matter for the answer.

Hope that helps a bit. :)
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | My extensions are updated regularly on github
PedSol

Post by PedSol »

RMcGirr83 wrote:ACP->User Registration Settings
Thanks for the information! It works now.
RMcGirr83 wrote:There is also a sql update that needs to run on the database which is also in the directions. Subsequently, you can use the file located here which will do the same thing without having to visit phpmyadmin or whatever it is you use to update your database. Download the file, unzip it, upload it into the root of your forum, login as founder and browse to the file to have the database changes made.

BTW, you should take great care in any file that you use to run on your forum that hasn't been validated by the phpBB team, but I'm not a malicious person so you can trust me. :mrgreen:
For some reason I don't see any SQL instructions in the entire XML directions. What does the SQL update do? It seems to work without it, but if necessary, I will use it.

Is there any way you could copy the directions for me here? It's not that I don't trust you, but just like you mention, I'd rather not run any additional scripts.

Once again, thank you for the quick and useful help!
RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

PedSol wrote:Is there any way you could copy the directions for me here? It's not that I don't trust you, but just like you mention, I'd rather not run any additional scripts.

Once again, thank you for the quick and useful help!
If it's working then you don't need to update the db. The instructions:
antibot_sql_update.jpg
antibot_sql_update.jpg (39.56 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Did you install the mod using auto-mod? Just curious is why I ask.
PedSol

Post by PedSol »

RMcGirr83 wrote:If it's working then you don't need to update the db. The instructions:
antibot_sql_update.jpg
Did you install the mod using auto-mod? Just curious is why I ask.
Thanks, Rich.

I installed using the instructions in the XML file, just by hand-editing the appropriate files.

What's odd is that I don't see that SQL information anywhere in the instructions. Thanks for posting it for me, though. I've tried now that it's activated, and it works with the correct answer (and fails otherwise). If for some reason it looks like I'll need the SQL updates then I may check back here to pick them up again.
Bouboule

Post by Bouboule »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Bouboule,

The mod, if activated, will add an additional field to the user registration process. When active the field needs a question and an answer set in the ACP->User Registration Settings. The reason for two answers is due to questions such as "What is 5+7?" where the answer can either be "12" or "twelve". If the question is, eg, "What color is a crystal clear blue lake?" then the only logical answer would be "blue"...capitalization does not matter for the answer.

Hope that helps a bit. :)
Thinks for this mod, works fine.
Zrob

Post by Zrob »

Hi all,

I hate to say this but I have no idea what to do with those 4or5 lines of SQL code listed above in the previous post and here? I am thinking that I would need to log into phpmyadmin and then make the changes to that code, BUT how do I find those lines of code? I am not sure and this seems to be the most miss understood part of the whole process.......I hope someone can enplane it more thoroughly...... :geek:

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value, is_dynamic) VALUES ('enable_abquestion', '0', '0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value, is_dynamic) VALUES ('abquestion','','0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value, is_dynamic) VALUES ('abanswer','','0');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value, is_dynamic) VALUES ('abanswer2','','0');
RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

RMcGirr83 wrote:There is also a sql update that needs to run on the database which is also in the directions. Subsequently, you can use the file located here which will do the same thing without having to visit phpmyadmin or whatever it is you use to update your database. Download the file, unzip it, upload it into the root of your forum, login as founder and browse to the file to have the database changes made.

rapid1

Post by rapid1 »

My question is what do I have to do I had this installed and working on my forum. I had to do a backup restore from the backup I did before I installed this. My problem now is I re edit the files with the changes and re upload them thru my ftp. the sequal query shows that this is already in the databse yet I go to admin panel purge the cache then activate this. I logout and try to register a test name and I get this page is under maintenance. How can i get this working again?
EldarS

Post by EldarS »

sorry - wrong - should be deleted
Dragonsoul7

Post by Dragonsoul7 »

Thanks wary much. No spammer's have register to my forum for a month. And it works perfect. :D

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”