SEO MOD

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
rwap01

Re: SEO MOD

Post by rwap01 »

alexisfr wrote:
rwap01 wrote: Do you mean the pageination bug listed in my overview essential fixes or is this a different one?
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p5716395
It is a different one as I already have your correction in my code. On the page listing the topics of one of your forums, when a topic contains several pages of messages, does the quick link to the last message of the topic actually point to the last message or not?
The quick link to the last message of the topic does not appear in phpBB v3 or does it?

Certainly I cannot find it on my forum: http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/ZX80_ZX81 ... 40s10.html

Would you like to post an example?

alexisfr

Post by alexisfr »

rwap01 wrote:
alexisfr wrote:
rwap01 wrote: Do you mean the pageination bug listed in my overview essential fixes or is this a different one?
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p5716395
It is a different one as I already have your correction in my code. On the page listing the topics of one of your forums, when a topic contains several pages of messages, does the quick link to the last message of the topic actually point to the last message or not?
The quick link to the last message of the topic does not appear in phpBB v3 or does it?

Certainly I cannot find it on my forum: http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/ZX80_ZX81 ... 40s10.html

Would you like to post an example?
Hi,

Yes, the quick link appears, but instead of pointing to the last post of the topic, it points to the first post of the topic.

It works on your forum however - so I really do not understand my issue. Are you sure your forum is actually incorporating your bug fix?

Basically, my issue is the value of U_LAST_POST on the viewforum page. The appropriate value should be something like ...myTopicTitle-p445.html#p445. This is the case on your forum.

Now if you look at your bug fix, you suggest that U_LAST_POST should be defined as: $view_topic_url . '#p' . $row['topic_last_post_id'], which gives something like ...myTopicTitle-t10.html#p445, because $view_topic_url is defined like this:

$view_topic_url = format_url($row['topic_title'], "t$topic_id", $start);

That's why I do not understand why your forum is working properly if it had this bug fix :)

rwap01

Post by rwap01 »

alexisfr wrote:Hi,

Yes, the quick link appears, but instead of pointing to the last post of the topic, it points to the first post of the topic.

It works on your forum however - so I really do not understand my issue. Are you sure your forum is actually incorporating your bug fix?

Basically, my issue is the value of U_LAST_POST on the viewforum page. The appropriate value should be something like ...myTopicTitle-p445.html#p445. This is the case on your forum.

Now if you look at your bug fix, you suggest that U_LAST_POST should be defined as: $view_topic_url . '#p' . $row['topic_last_post_id'], which gives something like ...myTopicTitle-t10.html#p445, because $view_topic_url is defined like this:

That's why I do not understand why your forum is working properly if it had this bug fix :)
Yes, my phpBB does include all of the fixes I have listed but no other MODs and is v3.0.1 of phpBB.

U_LAST_POST is defined as:
'U_LAST_POST' => format_url($row['topic_title'], 'p' . $row['topic_last_post_id']),

and

Maybe if I email you my viewforum.php, you could try using this instead of the one you have - or do you have other MODs installed?

By the way, which bug fix are you referring to when you say "I do not understand why your forum is working properly if it had this bug fix"

alexisfr

Post by alexisfr »

rwap01 wrote:
alexisfr wrote:Hi,

Yes, my phpBB does include all of the fixes I have listed but no other MODs and is v3.0.1 of phpBB.

U_LAST_POST is defined as:
'U_LAST_POST' => format_url($row['topic_title'], 'p' . $row['topic_last_post_id']),

and

Maybe if I email you my viewforum.php, you could try using this instead of the one you have - or do you have other MODs installed?

By the way, which bug fix are you referring to when you say "I do not understand why your forum is working properly if it had this bug fix"

Rich
http://www.rwapservices.co.uk
Thanks for this.

In my last message, I just noticed that I was not referring to your bug fix, but to Flipper242 one (in the first pages of this topic). Flipper242 defined U_LAST_POST as $view_topic_url . '#p' . $row['topic_last_post_id'], which is effectively wrong.

The definition of U_LAST_POST you are using is fine. I just wonder where you found it. I believe the definiton implemented by the MOD author is 'U_LAST_POST' => $view_topic_url . '&p=' . $row['topic_last_post_id'] . '#p' . $row['topic_last_post_id']. Flipper242 tried to correct this one, but the right correction is the one you are using.

rwap01

Post by rwap01 »

alexisfr wrote: Thanks for this.

In my last message, I just noticed that I was not referring to your bug fix, but to Flipper242 one (in the first pages of this topic). Flipper242 defined U_LAST_POST as $view_topic_url . '#p' . $row['topic_last_post_id'], which is effectively wrong.

The definition of U_LAST_POST you are using is fine. I just wonder where you found it. I believe the definiton implemented by the MOD author is 'U_LAST_POST' => $view_topic_url . '&p=' . $row['topic_last_post_id'] . '#p' . $row['topic_last_post_id']. Flipper242 tried to correct this one, but the right correction is the one you are using.
The correct definition of U_LAST_POST appears as the last correction to viewforum.php in the MODx :)

alexisfr

Post by alexisfr »

rwap01 wrote:
The correct definition of U_LAST_POST appears as the last correction to viewforum.php in the MODx :)
Oh my god... you're right :) Either a few of us are crazy or the MOD has been updated :?

Darkness568

Post by Darkness568 »

Hi i was going to install the mod, but when i read it wanted me to edit the .htaccess file before i did anything and if i get a error dont install it. I did that but my forum is [removed] and i added like cheese or something to it so it would get an error, but it redirected me to a error page. I asked my host and they said they do support SEO so should i go ahead and install neways even though i have the error or not??
Last edited by camm15h on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed.

rwap01

Post by rwap01 »

Darkness568 wrote:Hi i was going to install the mod, but when i read it wanted me to edit the .htaccess file before i did anything and if i get a error dont install it. I did that but my forum is [removed] and i added like cheese or something to it so it would get an error, but it redirected me to a error page. I asked my host and they said they do support SEO so should i go ahead and install neways even though i have the error or not??
WARNING
-----------
You set up a site that opens 20+ advertising windows and expect help? :o

Darkness568

Post by Darkness568 »

actually thats currently my hosts error page. I ve never set that error page up and if it is my site then i have never had the knowledge that it opened up ads before. If u used my website link on my profile sorry, but it is out of date.

Profile Updated

rwap01

Post by rwap01 »

Darkness568 wrote:actually thats currently my hosts error page. I ve never set that error page up and if it is my site then i have never had the knowledge that it opened up ads before. If u used my website link on my profile sorry, but it is out of date.

Profile Updated
I used the link that was originally in your post and reported it to have the link removed.

Do you have an actual phpBB forum installed on this host already? - if not, then try the SEO MOD and see if it works, as it cannot do any harm, apart from you having to reinstall phpBB forum afterwards. Even if you are already using a forum, you could try the SEO MOD having made a backup of the files which need to be changed first, so that they can be reuploaded quickly in the event of the MOD not working.

However, if that is your hosts error file, I somehow doubt that they will allow you to change the .htaccess file, as presumably they control it to throw up all that advertising. A better host would be the answer!!

Darkness568

Post by Darkness568 »

Alright thank you and about the .htaccess i edited it already. I installed the mod and followed the instructions, but how do i set it up in the ACP so that i can use it? Also what should i do with the mysql codes and where it goes???

rwap01

Post by rwap01 »

Darkness568 wrote:Alright thank you and about the .htaccess i edited it already. I installed the mod and followed the instructions, but how do i set it up in the ACP so that i can use it? Also what should i do with the mysql codes and where it goes???
There is nothing on the ACP to amend.
The key is editing the SQL database to enter the change required - most hosts provide you with a mySQL editor where you can enter the code or amend the database values.

Darkness568

Post by Darkness568 »

So then how would i put the code into the database. I never really worked with the databases and what they do, but my host for sure can edit mysql. This may sound very stupid, but how do i know if the mod worked. I know it should make urls more simpliar, but how do i really know its different?

Edit: Nevermind i found a tutorial will post later if problems and thanks for helping me.

terryrw

Post by terryrw »

I am having issues with the mod. Let's say for example a user is browing a category and found a subject that has 5 pages. 1,2,3,4,5,6. If they click they try go directly to a specific page number "example, they click on page 5" they get a 404 page error like this. (The requested URL /forum/fishing-contest-for-the-kid%CA%B9s--t1577s30.php does not exist.) I can't figure out what is causing this. If they open the subject and click next to go through all 6 pages there is no problems. It is only when they try to click a page from the topics pages. I attempted to re-edit all the files 4 times and have the same result. Can someone please offer me some assistance, as I am not a coder.

rwap01

Post by rwap01 »

terryrw wrote:I am having issues with the mod. Let's say for example a user is browing a category and found a subject that has 5 pages. 1,2,3,4,5,6. If they click they try go directly to a specific page number "example, they click on page 5" they get a 404 page error like this. (The requested URL /forum/fishing-contest-for-the-kid%CA%B9s--t1577s30.php does not exist.) I can't figure out what is causing this. If they open the subject and click next to go through all 6 pages there is no problems. It is only when they try to click a page from the topics pages. I attempted to re-edit all the files 4 times and have the same result. Can someone please offer me some assistance, as I am not a coder.
This is one of the pagination bugs referred to in my SEO Essential fixes post

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”