Your feedback on the MOD Database and Validation process

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Your feedback on the MOD Database and Validation process

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:53 pm

In an attempt to improve the quality of our MOD Database and the effectiveness of our validation process, we are conducting a survey of both MOD Authors and users who use the MOD Database.
Your opinions and suggestions could have an impact on how the MOD Database and Validation process will operate.
  1. How much experience do you have using the MOD Database?
  2. Do you like the MOD Database?
  3. What do you like about the MOD Database?
  4. What do you not like about the MOD Database?
  5. Is the MOD Database easy to browse, download MODs from and find the support topics?
  6. Is the MOD Database easy to submit and manage your MODs in?
  7. Do you like the MOD Database Validation process and see it as valuable?
  8. What do you like about the Validation process for the MOD Database?
  9. What do you not like about the Validation process for the MOD Database?
  10. Do you prefer downloading MODs from the MOD Database, from the MOD Development forum or from an alternate (other sites) source?
  11. How do you think the MOD Team could improve the MOD Database to be better and easier to use?
  12. How do you think the MOD Team could improve the Validation process to the MOD Database?
  13. If you could change one thing in the MOD Validation process, what would it be?
  14. If you could change one thing in the MOD Database, what would it be?
  15. If the MOD Validation were performed faster, would it encourage you to submit more MODs to the phpBB.com MOD Database?
  16. What do you think keeps MOD Authors from submitting MODs to the MOD Database?

Your opinions and suggestions are very much appreciated.
Thanks!!
- The Modifications Team

See other survey topic regarding: What do you like or not like about MODX?
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

alphared

Re: Your feedback on the MOD Database and Validation process

Post by alphared » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:19 am

Highway of Life wrote:
  3. What do you like about the MOD Database?
  4. What do you not like about the MOD Database?
  5. Is the MOD Database easy to browse, download MODs from and find the support topics?
  6. Is the MOD Database easy to submit and manage your MODs in?
  8. What do you like about the Validation process for the MOD Database?
  9. What do you not like about the Validation process for the MOD Database?
  10. Do you prefer downloading MODs from the MOD Database, from the MOD Development forum or from an alternate (other sites) source?
  11. How do you think the MOD Team could improve the MOD Database to be better and easier to use?
  12. How do you think the MOD Team could improve the Validation process to the MOD Database?
  13. If you could change one thing in the MOD Validation process, what would it be?
  14. If you could change one thing in the MOD Database, what would it be?
  15. If the MOD Validation were performed faster, would it encourage you to submit more MODs to the phpBB.com MOD Database?
  16. What do you think keeps MOD Authors from submitting MODs to the MOD Database?
I am just a user ( :shock: ) of the database and I hope noone minds me taking first crack at this.
  1. Not as much as some I am sure. I have only been using a phpbb board for a year, but I did extensively modify a 2.0.22 board.
  2. Very much!
  3. That I can be sure that every mod is tested for security and generally approved (even if only implicately) by the team that works directly with the phphbb code.
  4. Slightly (and here I am talking about the 2.0 database currently) overbirdened with mods that test well on early versions but may or may not with later versions of phpbb.
  5. Generally, although with high double digit pages, or even triple digits, it can take a long time to find what you want.
  6. Unfortunately I have never submitted a mod. so I can't answer this.
  7. I have never had to validate a mod., but, yes from a user stand point it is very valuable.
  8. I can trust someone has examined the mod. for security and intended performance.
  9. I only download mods. from the database.
  10. Catagories, Catagories, Catagories. ;) Or, better a list catagorized, stickied, list topic so that there is a single directory of links to every mod. Making searching through pages and pages obsolete.
  11. Knowing it is already a lot of work, but since you asked. Validation against other mods. and/or validation with each new upgrade of phpbb.
  12. See above answer.
  13. That mods. include information on compatibily issues.
  14. Agian it would be difficult for me to answer this.
  15. Well, IMHO, I suspect a lack of confidence in there work, or a desire not to have to submit to the process, or alterior motives. (Or in some rare cases all three.)

Long Sword

Post by Long Sword » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:28 pm

1. Not that much. I only look back now and again to see if something interesting has been released.
  2. Yes.
  3. That it's easy to access and easy to use.
  4. That you can't subscribe to a feed for a particular phpBB version.
  5. Yes, but a search engine would complete the usability.
  6. I've never tried...
  7. As I've never submitted a MOD, I can't tell. I do like the security part about it though :)
  8. The security measures
  9. The average length for validating a MOD is 10 days and that seems a lot.
  10. The MOD Database, this way I can be assured that the MODS are safe.
  11. A search engine and feeds for particular versions.
  12. I don't know...
  13. Don't have a suggestion, sorry.
  14. Add feeds for particular versions.
  15. I don't have much experience with php so I wouldn't submit anything anyway.
  16. I don't know, but the system the MOD Database used, won't resist them ;)

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:31 pm

1. Not a lot.
2. Yes.
3. I like the various search options.
5. Yes.
10. I usually download mods from their release topic. I do use mods from the Mod Dev forum from modders who support their mods and have released mods. I use mods from the authors site and from places like phpBB Hacks.
11. The older phpBB2 mods that don't work need deleted.
16. The number one thing I see MOD Authors complaining about on phpbb.com and other boards is that most of the time the information from the validator was so vague that they didn't even know they meant. Obviously the validator shouldn't be going through the mod and fixing it for them, but they should at be more specific about their comments.
Last edited by wGEric on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed url
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:19 pm

How much experience do you have using the MOD Database?
I have several MODs currently in the DB, and have downloaded a few.
Do you like the MOD Database?
Sort of.
What do you like about the MOD Database?
Provides good into, MODs are categorized, ensured to exist and not be a dead link.
What do you not like about the MOD Database?
No way to check if an updated non-validated version exists, meaning I have to do it manually (download the MOD, unzip, check instructions for website, go to website, try to find the MOD, etc...)
Is the MOD Database easy to browse, download MODs from and find the support topics?
Yeah
Is the MOD Database easy to submit and manage your MODs in?
Yeah, but could use improvement. A MOD should be run through an automated validation as soon as it's uploaded, and then return a page which tells instantly if it was denied or if it will move on to the next validation phase.
Do you like the MOD Database Validation process and see it as valuable?
Yes
What do you like about the Validation process for the MOD Database?
Helps to ensure that code is optimized and not a security threat
What do you not like about the Validation process for the MOD Database?
Takes a long time, and most MODs still work even when not validated.
Do you prefer downloading MODs from the MOD Database, from the MOD Development forum or from an alternate (other sites) source?
MOD Dev Forum, as those are always more up-to-date.
How do you think the MOD Team could improve the MOD Database to be better and easier to use?
Add non-validated MODs to the DB (or create a second DB to hold them). Put all the disclaimers you want, but it'd be lovely to have all MODs in one place.
How do you think the MOD Team could improve the Validation process to the MOD Database?
Make it more automated.
If you could change one thing in the MOD Validation process, what would it be?
Allow updates to be submitted at anytime, instead of requesting that an update is only submitted after an approval or rejection.
If you could change one thing in the MOD Database, what would it be?
Allow non-validated MODs
If the MOD Validation were performed faster, would it encourage you to submit more MODs to the phpBB.com MOD Database?
Don't care about the initial validation speed, but for updates, absolutely.
What do you think keeps MOD Authors from submitting MODs to the MOD Database?
For me, it's because the MODs get out-of-date too quickly. I make bug fixes, then it takes weeks or longer for an update to get approved. And because I'm not supposed to submit again until it has been approved/denied, I can't submit an update after every bug fix. Thus, sometimes I forget to submit updates.
Ken F. Innes IV
My Extensions | My MODs | My Topics | My Site: Absolute Anime
Experience the wonder of Japanese Animation!

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:32 am

Do you like the MOD Database?
Of course,gotta love mods. :D Seems easy enough to navigate.
Do you prefer downloading MODs from the MOD Database, from the MOD Development forum or from an alternate (other sites) source?
From the forum, I normally browse through the last few pages to see if there are any issues I might need to be aware of before trying it. I try and avoid downloading them elsewhere but will if I need/want it and there isn't anything available here.

-------------

I would like to a see a feature for subscribing to a mod to be notified when it gets updated, unless I'm missing something there is no way to do this other than to check it yourself. Not trying to sound lazy either, there's security concerns here and if a mod has an exploit it may be days before you find out about it and it may very well be too late by then. This I know from experience as I had a very popular mod easily found through search engines with an exploit that got published but the author had his own notification available, was only one day after I patched it that the exploitable file was getting hammered. There should be a link for it in the original post here and in another listed in the database pages under customize.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

scott_thewspot

Post by scott_thewspot » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:58 pm

What do I like?
Knowing that validated mods have been peer-reviewed for release with best chance of success against the core phpBB code.

What don't I like?

Well I haven't submitted a mod myself, but many mods I've helped test still seem to be in validation after months of waiting. I personally don't like installing non-validated mods on my live forums, and it's frustrating when a mod that works perfectly well in test is still waiting validation. I like to know it's passed the "security" aspects that I can't test myself.

There needs to be a bug-tracker thing for each mod developer to use with their mods. The popular mods end up with 60+ pages of posts and the most common is "I can't be bothered reading all these posts so can you tell me how to fix this?" to which the most common response is "That has been answered before, go read the posts!". A single discussion thread for mods is chaotic for reporting bugs in.

Ajax Shoutbox is a perfect example, and I'm surprised more developers don't abandon their mods in frustration at dealing with the questions that keep being repeated.
Forcing phpBB to submit on Microsoft platforms since 2005
Windows Server 2012R2, IIS8.5, MSSQL2012

canadianlatitude

Post by canadianlatitude » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:27 pm

There needs to be a bug-tracker thing for each mod developer to use with their mods. The popular mods end up with 60+ pages of posts and the most common is "I can't be bothered reading all these posts so can you tell me how to fix this?" to which the most common response is "That has been answered before, go read the posts!". A single discussion thread for mods is chaotic for reporting bugs in.
I agree. I wonder if it would be possible to have sub forums instead of threads for a release? Then new threads for specific issues could be started and easier to find as some mods do have a heck of a lot of pages. But then maybe it would crowd the main page with so many sub forums? I dunno just a thought.

About 6 weeks worth but I ran wowbb before I changed to phpbb3 and run another forum with mybb and I am familar with installing mods and would say I am intermediate at it. Definitely not a pro yet.
Yes very much so.
#5 Is the MOD Database easy to browse, download MODs from and find the support topics?
Yes.
Very much so as I know this mod will work and not cause problems. I also like testing 'Mods in development' on my test forum.
I prefer here as I know mods pass muster but I have in the past with my previous software downloaded from 3 rd party sites and I may here once I am more familiar with phpbb3 or if there is no mod here I really need, but have not come across that yet.
What do you think keeps MOD Authors from submitting MODs to the MOD Database?
That they are nice people who like to share, help out and believe in Open-Source Concept like I do and probably many others here too. Plus from my experience this is the best forum community I have belonged too. I have had some forum software over the years where the support and community were terrible.

mej284

Post by mej284 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:11 am

I am not sure if this was one of your questions. I can tell when a new mod has been added by the number of topics. But it is now getting harder and harder to tell which is the new mod to the database and which are not.

It would be nice if you had a list of the mods and the dates they entered the Mod Database Release Section.
I do not respond to unsolicited PM's

Skin-lab styles
SubMerged Style

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:39 pm

mej284: The main page of the MOD DB has that. http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db :)
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

sixtvs

Post by sixtvs » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:32 am

Highway of Life wrote:
  1. [1] How much experience do you have using the MOD Database?
    I have used it extensively to check and double check Mods that I install on my forum. It is where I have gained much, but not enough knowledge on the inner workings of a forum and how to make it more personalized.
    [2] Do you like the MOD Database?
    Yes, it is a fountain of knowledge so to speak
    [3] What do you like about the MOD Database?
    The list of available modifications and support for them.
    [4] What do you not like about the MOD Database?
    It can be a daunting task looking for exactly what you want and need
    [5] Is the MOD Database easy to browse, download MODs from and find the support topics?
    Not really since it is not alphabetiziced. Of course I understand the task associated with that so I just take the time to look for exactly what I need
    [6] Is the MOD Database easy to submit and manage your MODs in?
    I can't say for sure since I do not write MODS. I am just barely beginning to come of age
    [7] Do you like the MOD Database Validation process and see it as valuable?
    Yes, very much.
    [8] What do you like about the Validation process for the MOD Database?
    [9] What do you not like about the Validation process for the MOD Database?
    [10] Do you prefer downloading MODs from the MOD Database, from the MOD Development forum or from an alternate (other sites) source?
    I prefer to DL from here and get support from here due to the fact that it has been validated and made safe for use
    [11] How do you think the MOD Team could improve the MOD Database to be better and easier to use?
    In alphabetical order would be a start though I am not sure it thats possible at all
    [12] How do you think the MOD Team could improve the Validation process to the MOD Database?
    [13] If you could change one thing in the MOD Validation process, what would it be?
    [14] If you could change one thing in the MOD Database, what would it be?
    [15] If the MOD Validation were performed faster, would it encourage you to submit more MODs to the phpBB.com MOD Database?
    [16] What do you think keeps MOD Authors from submitting MODs to the MOD Database?
People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to fight for them!

UT99 Guy

Post by UT99 Guy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:34 pm

Great system.

I only have one comment.
[comment] It would be helpful if there was some way to sort on when the mod was added (post RC)[\comment]

I try to follow the releases so I know when my mods are no longer in development. Short of bookmarking every potential mod that I might want in the future, I need to go through the entire mod database each time I visit. If they could be sorted chronologically based on official release date, that would be a great help.

kernelgrl

Post by kernelgrl » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:11 pm

1. How much experience do you have using the MOD Database? none
  2. Do you like the MOD Database? yeah!
  3. What do you like about the MOD Database? that i can edit my forum
  4. What do you not like about the MOD Database? that you guys make it so hard, why dont you just post the edited files instead of giving instructions such as "paste this above, now place this below" thats annoying...
  5. Is the MOD Database easy to browse, download MODs from and find the support topics? yeah but hard to install
  6. Is the MOD Database easy to submit and manage your MODs in? yeah
  7. Do you like the MOD Database Validation process and see it as valuable? yes totally
  8. What do you like about the Validation process for the MOD Database? that it wont make me waste my time with useless mods
  9. What do you not like about the Validation process for the MOD Database? N/A
  10. Do you prefer downloading MODs from the MOD Database, from the MOD Development forum or from an alternate (other sites) source? I'd prefer to download the whole MOD easy-to-install ZIP file, ready to upload to my server instead of editing files and having problems with encoding and stuff...
  11. How do you think the MOD Team could improve the MOD Database to be better and easier to use? by doing what i said above
  12. How do you think the MOD Team could improve the Validation process to the MOD Database? N/A
  13. If you could change one thing in the MOD Validation process, what would it be? N/A
  14. If you could change one thing in the MOD Database, what would it be? what ive been saying.. zip files!!!
  15. If the MOD Validation were performed faster, would it encourage you to submit more MODs to the phpBB.com MOD Database? N/A
dont really know

primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:26 pm

kernelgrl wrote:
  1. What do you like about the MOD Database? that i can edit my forum
  2. What do you not like about the MOD Database? that you guys make it so hard, why dont you just post the edited files instead of giving instructions such as "paste this above, now place this below" thats annoying...
  3. Is the MOD Database easy to browse, download MODs from and find the support topics? yeah but hard to install
  4. Do you prefer downloading MODs from the MOD Database, from the MOD Development forum or from an alternate (other sites) source? I'd prefer to download the whole MOD easy-to-install ZIP file, ready to upload to my server instead of editing files and having problems with encoding and stuff...
  5. How do you think the MOD Team could improve the MOD Database to be better and easier to use? by doing what i said above
I think you are confusing MODs with the MOD database. The MOD database is just a place that stores MODs, it doesn't have anything to do with installation.
Ken F. Innes IV
My Extensions | My MODs | My Topics | My Site: Absolute Anime
Experience the wonder of Japanese Animation!

MapleMario

Post by MapleMario » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:51 pm

1. How much experience do you have using the MOD Database? Some. Not much.
  2. Do you like the MOD Database? Definitely!
  3. What do you like about the MOD Database? The simplicity of downloading the MODs and looking at their difficulty.
  4. What do you not like about the MOD Database? I can't edit the installation time or other properties on my submitted MODs...
  5. Is the MOD Database easy to browse, download MODs from and find the support topics? Yes.
  6. Is the MOD Database easy to submit and manage your MODs in? Yes, but [ See #4 ]
  7. Do you like the MOD Database Validation process and see it as valuable? It's great. I love the feedback process.
  8. What do you like about the Validation process for the MOD Database? (See above)
  9. What do you not like about the Validation process for the MOD Database? Nothing.
  10. Do you prefer downloading MODs from the MOD Database, from the MOD Development forum or from an alternate (other sites) source? From the MOD database, and sometimes from an alternate source (STG).
  11. How do you think the MOD Team could improve the MOD Database to be better and easier to use? Make the submitted MODs editable.
  12. How do you think the MOD Team could improve the Validation process to the MOD Database? N/A
  13. If you could change one thing in the MOD Validation process, what would it be? Nothing.
  14. If you could change one thing in the MOD Database, what would it be? Nothing.
  15. If the MOD Validation were performed faster, would it encourage you to submit more MODs to the phpBB.com MOD Database? Definitely.
  16. What do you think keeps MOD Authors from submitting MODs to the MOD Database? Maybe the strict standards of submitted MODs.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”