View or mark unread posts

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
Octopus

Re: View or mark unread posts

Post by Octopus »

In the bug-tracker the some people had a discussion about integrating "view unread posts" in phpbb 3.0.6.

At the moment you can find this part in the cvs: http://code.phpbb.com/repositories/revision/phpbb/9653

I hope, we won´t get any problems with this so loved mod....

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

I'm the one who reported this and said that this is a must have...
I really hoped this mod to make it to the phpbb core code... and it seems it did (fix completed in svn) :D

Unfortunately, I see that they implemented only the view unread part and left out the mark as unread part... :(
They also left out the mark all read part...

EDIT: I created two posts http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... post162755 and http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... post165165 ..
I hope someone of the developers will pay attention to them... :(
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

Tazmanian

Post by Tazmanian »

asinshesq wrote: Are you sure the reason for the link reading view your unread posts isn't that there really is another new post? If so, what happens when you just refresh your browser?
Yes i'm sure that there isn't a new post. When I click vieuw unread posts there are no topics showed. Even when I try to find new post via the active posts link.
If I refresh my browser the link still shows 'View unread posts'.

But I'm not sure why it sometimes occurs and sometimes not. I'll will do some tests on my testboard and try to recreate so you can take a look at it :idea:

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

asinshesq wrote:Master5, looking at the regular unmodded phpbb3 code, it looks the this phpbb3 bug is bigger than you are suggesting for any board that uses the post approval feature. But to make sure i am understanding this correctly, can you confirm that:

- if a user marks all forums read at a time when there is a pending post that has not yet been authorized, the post does not show up as 'unread' in the topic or forum in question when it is finally authorzed

- if a user reads a topic at a time when there is a pending post in that topic that has not yet been authorized, the post does not show up as unread in the topic in question when it is finally authorized

- if a user reads all of the authorized topics in a forum at a time when there is a pending new topic in the forum that has not yet been authorized, the forum does not show up as unread in the index or forum when the topic is finally authorized
I just tested and confirmed by belief that things work as above, and I posted a new bug report along with a proposed way of solving it (not the code but the method). The new bug report is here: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... t_id=47275

marian0810
Former Team Member
Name: Marian

Post by marian0810 »

I was wondering if it's possible to add a "mark all pm's as read" or "mark all marked pm's as read" (either would do) link in the unread messages box? I really miss that, especially with so many pm's automatically replied to all...
You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

marian0810 wrote:I was wondering if it's possible to add a "mark all pm's as read" or "mark all marked pm's as read" (either would do) link in the unread messages box? I really miss that, especially with so many pm's automatically replied to all...
That wouldn't be hard, but I'm not sure when I'll have time to do that. Which do you think would be more useful: a single link to mark all unread pms as read, or a new entry in the existing drop down box to mark as read all marked pms?

marian0810
Former Team Member

Post by marian0810 »

asinshesq wrote:a new entry in the existing drop down box to mark as read all marked pms?
The last one I think. Unless that's a lot more work for you ofcourse.

Zarggg
Name: Tom Ditmars

Post by Zarggg »

A drop-down entry for "Mark selected as read" makes more sense to me, structurally. Since there already is a "Mark All" link for PMs, adding a "Mark all as read" option would be redundant.
My phpBB installation: http://forum.clantitan.org/

updown

Post by updown »

Zarggg wrote:A drop-down entry for "Mark selected as read"
This is what I'm still missing, too! Would be perfect then...

asinshesq

adding mark pm as read to the mark dropdown

Post by asinshesq »

superseded by post below
Last edited by asinshesq on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Actually, if you wait a few minutes I'll post a set of changes that will give you both mark as read and mark as unread options in the dropdown.
Last edited by asinshesq on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asinshesq

adding mark pm as read (or unread) to the regular dropdown o

Post by asinshesq »

Ok, the following changes add 'Mark marked as read' and 'Mark marked as unread' to the regular dropdown options in the private message area.

Code: Select all

OPEN
includes/functions_privmsgs.php

FIND
		case 'mark_important':

BEFORE, ADD
		// start mod view or mark unread posts
		case 'mark_marked_read':

$sql = 'UPDATE ' . PRIVMSGS_TO_TABLE . "
				SET pm_unread = 0
				WHERE folder_id = $cur_folder_id
					AND user_id = $user_id
					AND " . $db->sql_in_set('msg_id', $msg_ids);
			$db->sql_query($sql);

break;

case 'mark_marked_unread':

$sql = 'UPDATE ' . PRIVMSGS_TO_TABLE . "
				SET pm_unread = 1
				WHERE folder_id = $cur_folder_id
					AND user_id = $user_id
					AND " . $db->sql_in_set('msg_id', $msg_ids);
			$db->sql_query($sql);

break;
		// end mod view or mark unread posts

OPEN
includes/ucp/ucp_pm.php

FIND
				if (!in_array($mark_option, array('mark_important', 'delete_marked')) && $submit_mark)

REPLACE WITH
				// start mod view or mark unread posts (and end mod too)...added mark_marked_read and mark_marked_unread options to next line
				if (!in_array($mark_option, array('mark_important', 'mark_marked_read', 'mark_marked_unread', 'delete_marked')) && $submit_mark)

OPEN
includes/ucp/ucp_pm_viewfolder.php

FIND
		$mark_options = array('mark_important', 'delete_marked');

REPLACE WITH
		// start mod view or mark unread posts (and end mod too)...added mark_marked_read and mark_marked_unread options to next line
		$mark_options = array('mark_important', 'mark_marked_read', 'mark_marked_unread', 'delete_marked');

OPEN
language/en/common.php

FIND
	'MARK_PM_UNREAD'			=> 'Mark pm as unread',

BEFORE, ADD
	'MARK_MARKED_READ'			=> 'Mark marked as read',
	'MARK_MARKED_UNREAD'		=> 'Mark marked as unread',
Last edited by asinshesq on Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Just made a small change in the above (I changed mark_pm_read to mark_marked_unread and mark_pm_unread to mark_marked_unread as well as correspoding changes to the text in language/en/common.php) because I think having the dropdown read that way is more descriptive.

marian0810
Former Team Member

Post by marian0810 »

Works perfectly, thank you very very much!! :D

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

marian0810 wrote:Works perfectly, thank you very very much!! :D
Well, it works when you are in the inbox folder but it doesn't work if you do it from the unread folder. That's not because of this change but rather is because NONE of the drop down menu actions work in the unread folder.

But I'm not really sure if it's good or bad that dropdown actions doesn't work there. Do you think I should fix the dropdown actions there (so that you can mark read, mark important, delete, move when you are in the unread folder) or should I hide the dropdown menu altogether when you are in the unread folder?

I probably won't be able to turn to that for a week or two, but I'd be interested in your feedback on what is better.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”