View or mark unread posts

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
MartectX
Translator

Re: View or mark unread posts

Post by MartectX »

ChriZathens wrote:Are you going to submit the latest fixes for a new release?
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p7905665

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

Sorry, but there are more fixes than that scattered in this topic. I'll try over the weekend to collect them all in one place. Not sure when I will submit them as a new version.

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX »

I posted that link because of you saying in that post:
asinshesq wrote:Here's what will be in the new version when I get around to submitting it (which won't happen until the mod to modx text converter at phpbb.com is properly working)

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

MartectX wrote:I posted that link because of you saying in that post:
asinshesq wrote:Here's what will be in the new version when I get around to submitting it (which won't happen until the mod to modx text converter at phpbb.com is properly working)
Ah, well the mod to modx converter at phpbb.com is still not properly working ;). But I'm gonna try to fix things by hand...

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

I'm probably jumping the gun here, but since it's so hard for people to find - in the posts scattered throughout this topic - all the changes I've made to this mod since version 1.0.4, here's a link to the most recent version that I just submitted for validation: [link omitted, for most recent version see the edit at the end of the first post of this topic]
If you already have version 1.0.4 installed, I included in the contrib folder instructions for upgrading from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5. But the changes from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 are all listed in posts made in this topic on or before December 1, 2008, so if you've been making those changes along the way you're probably already current.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the process of validation there are further changes...I'll post here with whatever further changes I make.
Last edited by asinshesq on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Hello Alan,

I have a small problem which could be related to your MOD or to théonaute's MOD Mark edited posts as unread which marks topic's last posts as unread if they are edited.

Here is what I do:

- I edit the last post in a topic and click "submit".
- Instantly I get back to the topic with the edited post due to Instant Post Redirect MOD. Therefore the post is not unread anymore.
- I move the topic to a different forum using the quick moderation dropdown menu.
- In the new forum the topic appears as unread which is wrong. (And the topic gets also found when searching for unread posts).

So I guess there might be a small conflict between View or mark unread posts MOD and Mark edited posts as unread MOD.
(That's why I'm going to post this message in both topics. Hope the moderators will not ban me...)

Regards
Wolfgang

Edit reason: Alan with just one "l". :oops:
Last edited by IPB_Refugee on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremyotten

Post by jeremyotten »

asinshesq wrote:I'm probably jumping the gun here, but since it's so hard for people to find - in the posts scattered throughout this topic - all the changes I've made to this mod since version 1.0.4, here's a link to the most recent version that I just submitted for validation: http://phpbbmods.asinsh.com/view_or_mar ... _1-0-5.zip

If you already have version 1.0.4 installed, I included in the contrib folder instructions for upgrading from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5. But the changes from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 are all listed in posts made in this topic on or before December 1, 2008, so if you've been making those changes along the way you're probably already current.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the process of validation there are further changes...I'll post here with whatever further changes I make.
I downloaden 1.05 and installed with Automodx30 installer... NOGO... can see the unread post links on my forum......

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &start=105

automodx30 is really good working auto modx installer worked for me everytime. try it yourself..

The mods that I use:

WYSIWYG editor of alsamim.com
SEO from www.phpbb-seo.com

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

IPB_Refugee wrote:Hello Allan,

I have a small problem which could be related to your MOD or to théonaute's MOD Mark edited posts as unread which marks topic's last posts as unread if they are edited....
That's not due to either mod. It's the way phpbb3 keeps track of unreads - by looking at when the last post in a topic is relative to the last time that the user looked at the topic (if there is a more recent post than the last time the user looked, the post will show as unread).

Example:

- start with a clean phpbb3 board with no mods on it

- submit a post in Forum1 and return to it as usual

- before looking at Forum2, move the post to Forum2

You will now see your own post as unread even though it's your own post and you already read it. What's worse, another user who already read your post when it was in Forum1 will see it in Forum2 as unread if he hasn't read any more recent posts in Forum2.

I don't think of that as a phpb3 bug - I think of it as a 'feature' ;)

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

jeremyotten wrote:...I downloaden 1.05 and installed with Automodx30 installer... NOGO... can see the unread post links on my forum...
Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

- Are you saying that automodx would not install it?

- Or are you saying that automodx did install it but my version 1.0.5 didn't work on your board?

If automodx did install it but it doesn't work on your board, exactly what doesn't work?
On the index page, can you see a link at the top that says "You have no unread posts" or "View your unread posts" depending on whether or not there are unread posts? (On prosilver it appears at the top left just over the list of forums - right next to the regular link called "View active topics)" - and in subsilver it appears at the top right - right next to the regular link called "View your posts".)

What template are you using?
And if you are using a language other than english on your board, did you install a translated language file?
Last edited by asinshesq on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

This mod reminds of Categories Hierarchy which has a very similar feature. Thanks for making it Alan! :)
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Thanks for the explanation, Alan!
asinshesq wrote:I don't think of that as a phpb3 bug - I think of it as a 'feature' ;)
Unfortunately I do not see any beneficial effect in phpBB3's behaviour you described. :( Shall they close it, but I think I will report it to the bug tracker in the next days.

Regards
Wolfgang

jeremyotten

Post by jeremyotten »

asinshesq wrote:
jeremyotten wrote:...I downloaden 1.05 and installed with Automodx30 installer... NOGO... can see the unread post links on my forum...
Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

- Are you saying that automodx would not install it?

- Or are you saying that automodx did install it but my version 1.0.5 didn't work on your board?

If automodx did install it but it doesn't work on your board, exactly what doesn't work?
On the index page, can you see a link at the top that says "You have no unread posts" or "View your unread posts" depending on whether or not there are unread posts? (On prosilver it appears at the top left just over the list of forums - right next to the regular link called "View active topics)" - and in subsilver it appears at the top right - right next to the regular link called "View your posts".)

What template are you using?
And if you are using a language other than english on your board, did you install a translated language file?
installed 1.05 with modx30 where a couple of errors with install.... after that no new links on forum. Flush every cash etc...

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

jeremyotten wrote:...installed 1.05 with modx30 where a couple of errors with install.... after that no new links on forum. Flush every cash etc...
Are you saying that automodx did not cleanly install it so that it was not fully installed? If so, the problem is not this mod but the fact that you have not fully installed it, and in that case we should move this discussion to private messages since it won't be of interest to others. Please pm me with whatever error messages automodx gave you so we can figure out where things are wrong.

jeremyotten

Post by jeremyotten »

asinshesq wrote:
jeremyotten wrote:...installed 1.05 with modx30 where a couple of errors with install.... after that no new links on forum. Flush every cash etc...
Are you saying that automodx did not cleanly install it so that it was not fully installed? If so, the problem is not this mod but the fact that you have not fully installed it, and in that case we should move this discussion to private messages since it won't be of interest to others. Please pm me with whatever error messages automodx gave you so we can figure out where things are wrong.

Nevermind I think I will have to do this one by hand then :-(
wish is was this easy...

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

RMcGirr83 wrote:This mod reminds of Categories Hierarchy which has a very similar feature. Thanks for making it Alan! :)
Hi, Rich. Haven't seen you in a while.

Yup, before ptirhiik totally re-wrote phpbb2 and called it categories hierarchy, he wrote 'keep unread flags' for phpbb2. He incorporated keep unread flags in CH, and merlin sythove and I (with ptirhiik's permission) took over keep unread flags and further revised it.

Unread flags are tracked very differently in phpbb3, so it was not a straightforward port of the mod over from phpbb2 to phpbb3. I struggled a fair bit with reverse engineering what the brilliant phpbb3 developers had done. They are very very very smart.

Since I am not running a live phpbb3 board yet and don't really have a feel for how it works as a practical matter, I wasn't sure whether people would really need this mod. After all, phpbb3 has a separate bookmark topic function. But I eventually decided it serves a somewhat different purpose.
Last edited by asinshesq on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”