Anti-Bot Registration

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

Anti-Bot Registration

Post by Extensions Robot »

Modification name: Anti-Bot Registration
Author: Gremlinn
Modification description: This mod allows you to define the language used during registration that bots key on.
Modification version: 1.0.3
Tested on phpBB version: 3.0.0

Download file: Anti_Bot_Registration-1.0.3.zip
File size: 31193 Bytes

Modification overview page: View

The phpBB Team is not responsible nor required to provide support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB Modifications Team may not be able to provide support.

-->Modification support<--
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Anti-Bot Registration

Post by Paul »

Modification validated/released

Notes:
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Gremlinn
Name: Nathan

Anti-Bot Registration

Post by Gremlinn »

Thanks mod team for helping me in getting this mod ironed out and approved.

phpbb 3.0.2 Update: Apparently 3.0.2 removed some code from the prosilver ucp_agreement.html file. The first find/replace for the prosilver template edit is not needed, just skip it.

End-of-Life I have come to the decision that this mod has outlived it's usefulness. I will no longer offer support for this mod.
Last edited by Gremlinn on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

billab0nx

Re: Anti-Bot Registration

Post by billab0nx »

What does this MOD do?

any Demo?

thanx ..

T50

Post by T50 »

isn't the captcha for anti-bot registration..

what do this mod really do?
Free Webhosting with option of getting paid plan <-- No Ads, No Pop-ups, Absolutely free/ or use promo code T50 to get a 10% discount on paid plan!
Make a few $$ in under a few minutes, easy to do

Webmaster of a Northeast Wisconsin Boy Scout Troop Website, http://bsat50.info

Gremlinn

Post by Gremlinn »

billab0nx and T50: This mod changes a value in the registration that bots know. I recommend changing the value from the specific word used in this mod. At your discretion, you can change it when ever you want.

As for the captcha... When I set up phpbb3 on my friend's server, someone from Isreal started registering on his site every couple hours. We would delete the account and it would return. I made this change on my phpbb2 forums. So, I figured out how to get it working in phpbb3. As soon as I made this change, the registrations stopped cold! There are ways for the captcha to be read.

As for a demo, I have it implemented on my test site. But, unless you try to use a bot, you won't notice any differences.

Sunka

Post by Sunka »

In phpBB v3.0.1 there is no this code in styles/prosilver/template/ucp_agreement.html

Code: Select all

onload_functions.push('disable(true, "agreed")');
		setInterval('disable(false, "agreed")', {S_TIME});
What to do?

And one more question:

If I change word "confirmed", I must change it 6 times. Is that correct?

Gremlinn

Post by Gremlinn »

I haven't verified this on 3.0.1 yet. I'll be doing that soon. I'll note that in the first thread once I do.

If I remember correctly, yes, six times.

T50

Post by T50 »

Gremlinn wrote:billab0nx and T50: This mod changes a value in the registration that bots know. I recommend changing the value from the specific word used in this mod. At your discretion, you can change it when ever you want.

As for the captcha... When I set up phpbb3 on my friend's server, someone from Isreal started registering on his site every couple hours. We would delete the account and it would return. I made this change on my phpbb2 forums. So, I figured out how to get it working in phpbb3. As soon as I made this change, the registrations stopped cold! There are ways for the captcha to be read.

As for a demo, I have it implemented on my test site. But, unless you try to use a bot, you won't notice any differences.
um why in the world didn't you ban the IP then????? or email, or the username....or set the minimum time required to be on the registration page for the agreement part longer, it is that code mentioned earlier...
Free Webhosting with option of getting paid plan <-- No Ads, No Pop-ups, Absolutely free/ or use promo code T50 to get a 10% discount on paid plan!

Gremlinn

Post by Gremlinn »

We took that opportunity to write this code so even if the IP changed they still couldn't get in. :mrgreen: My friend's board wasn't doing much at the time. It was only up for a couple of days before this started.

Even with all the tools and features, there is no way to stop everything. But, with the right combination of things, you can stop just about everything.

And, if you want to make this even harder to guess, change the key word to something randomly generated :twisted:

Oh, and it didn't seem to matter about the timing.

T50

Post by T50 »

so what exactly is this keyword thing?

do you need to enter a word to register or something??
Please describe this in lame man terms please..

Gremlinn

Post by Gremlinn »

The registration page contains a value (hidden) that says you agree. It carries this value (always hidden) through the registration processes from page to page. This mod basically shows you where to change that key word in a number of places. I thought about making it a value you can set in the ACP, but I didn't want to make this mod too complicated. A few edits is all that you need. There are six edits (If I remember correctly). Two for the code, two for prosilver and two for subsilver2.

This is a simple mod that can help with not so simple of a problem. My disclaimer is that I can't guarantee that it will stop every bot, but it did stop the ones that I watched.

T50

Post by T50 »

ahh ok. Sounds good!!

pythonjosh

Post by pythonjosh »

This mod does not work for X-treme Red. In ucp_agreement.html, the first FIND statement is not present, using either one of prosilver.xml or subsilver2.xml. I searched the whole file for "agreed" and only found the second FIND statement. Any ideas what I should look for?
Thanks,
Josh

Gremlinn

Post by Gremlinn »

I know nothing about your style. It is possible that you only have to find it once.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”