[4.0.x][DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.3.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
Heo32

Re: [4.0.x][DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

Post by Heo32 »

Thank you for your response, Hanakin.
Hanakin wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:38 am
  • No thats not something we will be doing by default. You are free to do so if you prefer for your own forum. It would be very easy as it will be CSS grid controlled.
Unnecessary white space is not pretty when there is notable visual imbalance. Changing it would be east for someone like you but I've never worked with CSS and I'd rather not tinker with anything.

Everything on the Internet concerning forum software all have a similar layout with stacked rows. They are never next to each other as columns. What is the reasoning for wanting to have 2 forums side-by-side?
Is this for you? Windows & Nginx & PHP & MySQL & phpBB & WordPress & Cloudflare

Content-Security-Policy: Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline
stevemaury wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Post by Hanakin »

That’s not true a lot of sites use a similar approach. The reasoning is as you mentioned poor use of space for one. Given the little info that a forum has. It fits more to a card which allows for better interaction and a better responsive experience. It also opens up the layout for the addition of a sidebar down the road.

As for white space that’s you opinion. But studies suggest the amount of white space used in the mockups is better for lots of reasons. One it look far cleaner and more professional, but it’s a lot easier to read and navigate especially on smaller devices. It provides for better comprehension of functionality of the various components as well. This is all detailed in the design specs of material design which you can google.
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

whitespace used to be bad, now it's good. just like eggs. but it all comes down to opinion.

i've never been a fan of how whitespace is used now. i actually actively avoid sites using it when i can. i see it simply as blank wasted space. so you now have to scroll the equivalent of a huge skyscraper to see what should be an apartment building :roll:

when you have a forum with a lot of categories, the page height could be enormous :shock:
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Post by Hanakin »

When exactly was white space ever bad? Never was it’s just very misused and misunderstood. Either way no need to worry as it’s all based on a single variable grid of 8px if you change that you change all the space

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles in Development”