[4.0.x][DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.3.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Re: [4.0.x][DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

Post by Hanakin »

Same rule applies to all text. Reading is reading!
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

I shouldn't have started an argument about texts with someone who never posts without mistakes.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

V3 from what you posted before looks good to me. I still find it weird that it looks like I'm at 125-150% zoom, not to keen on that personally.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
eveneme

Post by eveneme »

definitely V3
eveneme

Post by eveneme »

when will we see something more?
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

Sorry end of the fiscal year so swamped at work
C4thie

Post by C4thie »

You definitely have a certain vision and I respect it, Hanakin.

However unfortunately it looks like PHPBB 4.0 will force me to move on to other forum softwares.
As far as I can see, new PHPBB is going to be some kind of another "mobile app", while there's already plenty of them. I don't need another one and I never used PHPBB for this kind of things. So if PHPBB is going to this direction too, then I don't have any reason to use it anymore.

I've spent months on making custom styles for rpg sessions, at first for subsilver, then prosilver, because subsilver was abandoned and I had to rewrite everything. Right now it looks like prosilver will be abandoned and whole work again goes to trash. But this time my styles probably won't be even possible to recreate.

Changes are important, however in my opinion drastic changes are not good, because overall it shows the users that it's not worth to put the effort. And risk more time wasted. It breaks trust to the project, because it shows it as very unstable and chaotic.
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

prosilver will be available for phpbb4
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

Not sure I understand what you mean by mobile app? Nothing here has anything to do with mobile apps. However keep in mind we are very early in development. We are moving towards a new structure that allows for easier modifications and themeing then is possible with the current version across all devices. We also have not even started to work on the theme yet. This is the base layer.
ukautoforums

Post by ukautoforums »

I'm going to jump in with my opinion for what its worth.

Lots of comments on here about phpbb moving away from the classic forum look and feel.

In my opinion its exactly what is needed, forums are dying. Social media is taking over. The next phpbb must act and feel like a social media platform. It must be mobile first, it must be slick, clean and very easy to use.

Facebook groups wouldnt be massive if Facebook kept to old BB designs. They know they need 14 year olds to 80 year olds to be able to pick up their phone and tablet, post messages, add photos without a degree in IT. They know notifications, constant changing feeds, relevancy are all needed to hook visitors in.

Take a look at some of the Facebook documentaries to see what I mean.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

ukautoforums wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:48 amTake a look at some of the Facebook documentaries
This imprecision is what made Facebook big and boards dry: now even more people are able to write texts that are shallow/hollow, while on boards there was at least put some effort into writing. And it backlashed onto boards nowadays.

Why not linking to at least one of said documentaries? This has become such an annoying problem: it's the internet, but nobody links anymore. Only texts. Vague texts. If I'd ask for how to drive to the supermarket the answer will probably be driving instructions off a wild position instead of the unambiguous postal address.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
C4thie

Post by C4thie »

Prosilver is great as default theme because it's as simple as possible. So it's very easy to build your own style around it and you're able to do almost everything with it.

It also works good enough on phones. However if someone really want modern solutions then it's not worth building "mobile first" forums. It's not 2010+ anymore. Nowadays mobile users are using app's. So if you want to build something modern for mobile users then create app. Rather than wasting time on building forum for mobiles, cause no one is going to use it anyway. Who's using yt, twitch, reddit or discord via browser? (on mobile). Almost nobody. People use apps nowadays and that's the future for mobiles. Apps. Not websites via browsers...

The best option is to let pc users to use pc version of the site which is not downgraded by "mobile first" solutions. And mobile users to use dedicated app. People don't use 4k monitors to see some poor sites build for phones.

In my opinion perfect scenario for phpbb would be to stay with prosilver, which is very good as a base theme. And not wasting time on trying so hard to change it. Let it be as it is, just release security patches and maintain it.
And focus on creating app for mobiles.

Or do something similar to mediawiki and maintain 2 styles, prosilver for pc's and chameleon only for mobile users. And style would change automatically, depending on the device on which you run the website. And admins would be able to change both styles how they want. Rather than making 1 style for everything, pc's and mobiles.
Steve
Name: Steven Clark

Post by Steve »

^^ I’m with the guy above … but ..
Pro silver and pro silver se, should be marked obsolete.
And completely re-written. There crap. I only look at this website via a PC and mobile.
//mobile.
Viewing a phpBB site is horrendous.
Every thing is small and hard to view and touch via my mobile.
The viewport zoom is annoying 😡
@ The Chief Medical Officers guideline for men is that: You are safest not to drink regularly more than 14 units per week.
- I drank that today++ :lol: 🍺
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

Everyone has their problems Steve
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.16
[Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

@C4thie
Google complains all the time because it's not mobile friendly. Things too close together and too small illegible font. You try to change these things in your styles. But styles based on prosilver are always criticised by google somewhere.
In this day and age, everything has to be mobile-friendly. Google only indexes pages on mobile.
Changes are important, however in my opinion drastic changes are not good, because overall it shows the users that it's not worth to put the effort. And risk more time wasted. It breaks trust to the project, because it shows it as very unstable and chaotic.
phpBB cannot avoid a completely new style structure.
It also works good enough on phones. However if someone really want modern solutions then it's not worth building "mobile first" forums. It's not 2010+ anymore. Nowadays mobile users are using app's. So if you want to build something modern for mobile users then create app. Rather than wasting time on building forum for mobiles, cause no one is going to use it anyway. Who's using yt, twitch, reddit or discord via browser? (on mobile). Almost nobody. People use apps nowadays and that's the future for mobiles. Apps. Not websites via browsers...
Many users visit the forums with a computer and not with mobile devices.
I hate the YT app on the phone. I always visit YT with the browser. :)
Last edited by Tastenplayer on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More of my styles you can find in my phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.
🎨 All my styles are updated to 3.3.8 and can be downloaded here

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles in Development”