[4.0.x][DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.3.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
eveneme

Re: [4.0.x][DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

Post by eveneme »

Mannix_ wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:40 am @hanaking
have you thought about aligning the footer with the topic title?

Something like this

topic Component v2 codepen.io 9adab77cb122.png

Good idea. I would also center the department icon vertically.
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Post by Hanakin »

That is how it was originally I was playing with it not aligned to see if it gave more room for content on smaller screens… it gives some room to allow more content on 1 level lower. By the way base-l breakpoints are as follows

xss: 360
xs: 410
sm: 540
md: 770
lg: 960
xl: 1140

https://github.com/hanakin/base-l/blob/ ... ainer.scss

What is a department icon? You mean the topic image? Cause again that is how it originally was and requires a major css-grid rework so will have to work that into a variant 3 https://codepen.io/hanakin/pen/dNVWmm
eveneme

Post by eveneme »

I would simplify registration as it is in ips and xenoforo.
Attachments
obraz_2021-08-27_135759.png
obraz_2021-08-27_135819.png
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

Outside the scope of the current conversation yes we need to overhaul that but it requires a core change. Can you please open a topic here http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum ... 4f5639ed64 to discuss it and possibly get someone to start working on it for prosilver for 4.0 first?
serek
Name: Serge Victor

Post by serek »

GTI wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:27 am Do you not think that there are more benefits from having a framework for phpBB which is made by phpBB?
Such a venue requires 10 years and multiple developers to reach satisfactory level. We even don't have enough testers to make it possible. This framework thingy will be haunting us for years and never will be better than using frameworks with millions of users and dozens of ready to re-use templates. It limits future of phpBB, unnecessarily burning resources and amount of available skins.

Please also notice web browsers / HTML / CSS development is going quickly forward, so the UI framework must be continuously adapted and extended.
--
find me somewhere in SW London, 100 meters from Thames River
david63

Post by david63 »

Hanakin wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:22 pm to get more feedback I have tried to consolidate everything into a series of questions in a poll
I hope that the results from this poll are not going to be used as the basis for any decisions as 16 responses from 400k members is hardly reassuring
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

david63 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:32 pm I hope that the results from this poll are not going to be used as the basis for any decisions as 16 responses from 400k members is hardly reassuring
It does look like people aren't visiting this topic enough. Maybe it's should be turned into a global announcement
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
david63

Post by david63 »

Mannix_ wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:39 pm It does look like people aren't visiting this topic enough. Maybe it's should be turned into a global announcement
Or maybe it should be where it is supposed to be Area51 - that is where development discussion is supposed to take place
David

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

serek wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:18 pm snip...

Such a venue requires 10 years and multiple developers to reach satisfactory level. We even don't have enough testers to make it possible. This framework thingy will be haunting us for years and never will be better than using frameworks with millions of users and dozens of ready to re-use templates. It limits future of phpBB, unnecessarily burning resources and amount of available skins.

Please also notice web browsers / HTML / CSS development is going quickly forward, so the UI framework must be continuously adapted and extended.
Very well said.
Mannix_ wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:39 pm snip...
It does look like people aren't visiting this topic enough. Maybe it's should be turned into a global announcement
Readers are quietly following the discussion, but I personally do not have much more to say than I have already said so far.
I just agree if it seems right.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

david63 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:51 pm Or maybe it should be where it is supposed to be Area51 - that is where development discussion is supposed to take place
Maybe, but this place is visited by more people ;)
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
david63

Post by david63 »

Mannix_ wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:02 pm Maybe, but this place is visited by more people
True - so why have two places and normally if anyone talks about development on here they are told to go to Area51
David

Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

david63 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:32 pm
Hanakin wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:22 pm to get more feedback I have tried to consolidate everything into a series of questions in a poll
I hope that the results from this poll are not going to be used as the basis for any decisions as 16 responses from 400k members is hardly reassuring
This was sort of a small scale test, I do not really have the time to keep doing these, but the community does. It was posted in several places. It will be used as any data is useful, it will not be the only source of info though. It’s also sort of on you to share with your individual board users to get more attention. If we like this method then we could tweet/blog/announce them out not sure this was even fruitful to continue doing yet? It’s not something that can not easily be changed later anyway. As there will be several stages for feedback to make changes. Right now it’s rapid dev time to get something in place to iterate on quickly
david63

Post by david63 »

Hanakin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:54 pm It’s also sort of on you to share with your individual board users to get more attention
If I was to share these ideas with my board members they will think I have gone mad - I know now that there is no way that they will like this "new" approach, although they probably would eventually accept it.

The whole point that you are missing is that the end user does not want change - they like it the way that it is. That is not to say that what is "under the hood" cannot, nor should not, be changed but the end result should replicate what we have now with other options available for those that want it.

A lot of us, and I am as guilty as the next person, loose sight of what the needs of the end user are - technical changes in the background are fine but when it come to the user experience that is another matter.

This new style, in my opinion, if not handled in the right way could be the beginning of the end of phpBB
David

Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

People don't like change sure but. PHPBB2 used sub silver as default style then it changed to prosilver with the release of PHPBB3 but subsilver was still around and supported for a long time. It looks to me like the history is about to repeat itself. So i don't see PHPBB dying because of this.
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

@Hanakin I meant it was jumpy as in not very smooth when loading the topic list, I use Samsung default browser though so I will check with others later to see if they are smoother.

@David

A lot of older forum users won't like it but there are also so many people who think Prosilver looks old but refuse to pay for a modern style to use on a free software,

I don't think a lot of people will transition over to it until many of their extensions work with it and I think that will take a while.

However I do think the modern look will see more people choosing phpBB to start a forum and a big increase in people moving from over software to phpBB so I think it will continue to grow either way.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles in Development”