[4.0.x][DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.3.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Re: [4.0.x][DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

Post by Hanakin »

While I do not think badges will be default, the way ranks work will be overhauled so that if you chose you can easily do just that. The current plan is for ranks be be handled via the new icon twig function. This means you can leverage any icons or images you want for them. The backend will be changed so that you no longer upload an image but instead specify a type ie iconify. png, or svg and the name of it. The backend will use the twig function to pull in based on the type and name. This gives you the flexibility to use icons as ranks. You will still be limited to one however.

That’s the current plan anyhow
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Sound interesting.
Why limit only to one?
TexTHKM

Post by TexTHKM »

Hanakin wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:59 pm While I do not think badges will be default, the way ranks work will be overhauled so that if you chose you can easily do just that. The current plan is for ranks be be handled via the new icon twig function. This means you can leverage any icons or images you want for them. The backend will be changed so that you no longer upload an image but instead specify a type ie iconify. png, or svg and the name of it. The backend will use the twig function to pull in based on the type and name. This gives you the flexibility to use icons as ranks. You will still be limited to one however.

That’s the current plan anyhow
Thanks for the response. That does sound better than today =)
But I still don't get why you'd limit to just one. You should be able to select several badges for users. On my XF install, the community love the various cool custom badges we have made. We have both normal ones, which are linked to post count, join date etc, and special ranks. Donator, Designer, Editor, Contributor, and it shows the TOP 3 badges they have. (so two special + the regular one). But of course you should be able to change this, from 1, to multiple, in ACP.

Example from my board:
Annotation 2019-01-24 135208.jpg
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

Not saying that it will not but that’s not currently planned.
TexTHKM

Post by TexTHKM »

Fair enough. In the meantime we can all enjoy the sneak peak images you are providing =)
CD130

Post by CD130 »

Wow! That looks good!!

May I also request new functions here?
1. It would be nice to be able to easily change the colors in ACP. Now I have to change a lot of code.
2. The large header image is very cool! Can it also be easily made to a random header?

Thanks for the great result and hopefully we can all use it soon.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

I see the look you're going for and it reminds me of some paid styles, such as Milk v2, that I've installed on some boards. It has its fans and appeal.

Though, there are clients that I work for that would not want to deviate so far from their current style. Personally, I like the more compact (classic?) style of the current prosilver as well versus the larger theme that you've seemed to get behind, as well as having two forum columns. I could elaborate more, but this is the jist of it.

I do like the reworking of the backend and everything of that nature of Chameleon.

My main question is, are there plans for a second style to be released or developed shortly after chameleon that's similar to prosilver in its current state, or will it have to be independently developed? There are a couple who would not upgrade to 4.0 without some form of style akin to what they have now with as little deviations as possible - they would want something to work off of that is as close to what they've been accustomed to as possible.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

This is not a style this is a library of components used to build a style. It easy to adjust things how you want. We will maintain pro silver for another version to transition but ultimately the default style that we go with to replace it which this is not will be the only style we will maintain. The decisions and choices may not align with everyone’s idea but they will be chosen based on practicality and UI nessity which is something prosilver fails to do.

Take the columns as everyone always seems to key in on this. The component itself is dynamic. It will flow based on the layout it’s in meaning if you want it stacked vs columns it just a change tot he layout wrapper. The component will still function the same.

Everyone needs to move on from the idea though that 1. The design decisions of prosilver are in anyway efficient or effective, they are not they are all flawed in a lot of ways. 2. Chameleon is not a style but instead a library of components that we will leverage to create styles.

There will be a default style but it’s not something that I have even started on yet as we need to get all nessecary component studies completed first before I can start.

As for design or visuals, it’s all subjective but the similarities you see between this and milk are not there. What you are actually probably keying in on is most likely underlying design best practices. In that rearguard a closer comparison would be the material theme they have as it’s using the same design language we are using here only an older version of it.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Toxyy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:30 am I see the look you're going for and it reminds me of some paid styles, such as Milk v2, that I've installed on some boards. It has its fans and appeal.
Firstly, thanks for your kind words and support of the Milk theme :)

I think what you're seeing there is whitespace and padding, which was barely existent in any phpBB style / theme prior to Milk's release in 2016, certainly not in any freebies.

I agree with Hanakin that future phpBB designs will be reliant on the community adjusting to modern web UIs, as opposed to phpBB maintaining a compact design philosophy. Adoption of modern design standards is critical for the long-term health of phpBB.

(Although it definitely seems like a market will open up in 4.x for compact themes to please the traditionalists :P )
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

A few questions:
  • Will avatars go back to the left side in posts, like it were in subSilver?
  • Will the ACP get an overhaul, too?
  • Will that image of the planet be included in the final? If so, will an image be easily uploaded (or added) and adjusted based on it's size?
  • Instead of having that white space with an odd number of forums created in a category, could you make it so that the last odd-numbered forum stretches the right to fill up that white space?
It is looking great, Hanakin. I can't wait to see what the final version will be like once phpBB 4.0.0 comes out.
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

Heo32 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:54 pm A few questions:
  • Will avatars go back to the left side in posts, like it were in subSilver?
  • Will the ACP get an overhaul, too?
  • Will that image of the planet be included in the final? If so, will an image be easily uploaded (or added) and adjusted based on it's size?
  • Instead of having that white space with an odd number of forums created in a category, could you make it so that the last odd-numbered forum stretches the right to fill up that white space?
It is looking great, Hanakin. I can't wait to see what the final version will be like once phpBB 4.0.0 comes out.
  • Yes on the left, but no not like subsilver. We currently have a header bar with a small avatar name. On hover you will get a full improved profile.
  • Not in 4.0. That's more a 4.1 project. We want to release as soon as its ready and not wait for the ACP to be redone before we do so.
  • No that image will not be included. We do not have licence for it. We will come up with something and you will just need to change the image out in the folder.
  • No thats not something we will be doing by default. You are free to do so if you prefer for your own forum. It would be very easy as it will be CSS grid controlled.
meetdilip

Post by meetdilip »

Where can we see the progress status ? The last time I read this topic, the mockups were not completed. Are we into coding now ? Or working on the mockups ? If you don't mind asking, have you started the work on phpBB 4.0 ? Thanks.
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

meetdilip wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:51 pm Where can we see the progress status ? The last time I read this topic, the mockups were not completed. Are we into coding now ? Or working on the mockups ? If you don't mind asking, have you started the work on phpBB 4.0 ? Thanks.
The coding started before this topic all links are located in the first post. But the most uptodate stuff is in my personal fork of the repo as it has not been merged in yet cause its all WIP.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Haven't had anything real good to say in response to you both, but thanks for the clarification Hanakin, I understand the project a lot more now. Very exciting! Can't wait to see how style customization will be like when it's released.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

I updated the first post to provide more insight into the milestones

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles in Development”