[DEV] Prevent theft Template

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
User avatar
easygo
Registered User
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by easygo »

^[GS]^ wrote:Yes, is possible :P sorry, but a make a program for this xD
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=991435
Nice try, anyway.
Casual developer for AJAX Chat on behalf of the author / Arcade Center powered by phpBB Arcade

A problem well put is half solved. (John Dewey, 1859–1952)
User avatar
Jim_UK
Former Team Member
Posts: 18479
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: Darwen N.West UK

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by Jim_UK »

tupeu wrote:
joebart72 wrote:I can give you an example of a stolen style: phpbb.com ! :mrgreen:
What does this mean?

Are you saying that this style has been stolen or that it is a stolen style?

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
tupeu
Registered User
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: roFLmania
Contact:

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by tupeu »

This site`s style (phpbb.com) was stolen last year by some asiatic group and was available for download on a private asian forum ! It was then took from phpBB 3.0.0 RC5 (if i remember well)

I found it then with google.com and downloaded so... I have it (updated and tested with phpBB v3.0.0) !

Since then i never found it available for download again !

(i can setup a demo if you want) :mrgreen:
updown
Registered User
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:53 am

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by updown »

Jim_UK wrote:As stated already this is not a modification as such but just common use of .htaccess files to protect content.
Hi Jim, I have to disagree: This is a modification of a part of the phpBB-system, which enhances the security of template-files and copyright protection for own changes.

If this is no "mod" because it's simple, then you also have to declare some of the already validated mods as "Not-Mods" too, where just a "common" link in a template-file was added or moved in the code. A modification of the phpbb-system, that enhances the security of the phpbb-system, is either a "modification of files" or a "modification" for additional protection.

So, if it's "just" an additional protection, and phpBB.com don't want other users to grab other users' template files, so why isn't that already included in the standard-package like the other .htaccess-files in root or cache?

:roll:
joebart72
Registered User
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:54 am

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by joebart72 »

^[GS]^ wrote:Yes, is possible :P sorry, but a make a program for this xD
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=991435

The warning is real!
Well, I've learnt something today ! Thanks ;)
I learn English with phpbb.com :)
User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 16147
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milano 🇮🇹 Frankfurt 🇩🇪
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by 3Di »

updown wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:As stated already this is not a modification as such but just common use of .htaccess files to protect content.
Hi Jim, I have to disagree: This is a modification of a part of the phpBB-system, which enhances the security of template-files and copyright protection for own changes.

If this is no "mod" because it's simple, then you also have to declare some of the already validated mods as "Not-Mods" too, where just a "common" link in a template-file was added or moved in the code. A modification of the phpbb-system, that enhances the security of the phpbb-system, is either a "modification of files" or a "modification" for additional protection.

So, if it's "just" an additional protection, and phpBB.com don't want other users to grab other users' template files, so why isn't that already included in the standard-package like the other .htaccess-files in root or cache?

:roll:
It is more a Knowledge Base Article than a MODification, indeed. :ugeek:
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
updown
Registered User
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:53 am

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by updown »

Hey, we could start a poll about this... :lol:

Name it as you want: This code-snippet is important!
User avatar
easygo
Registered User
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by easygo »

updown wrote:Hey, we could start a poll about this... :lol:
Yeah, why not?

I think it's not a mod because it modifies nothing as to the
phpBB specifications themselves. Meaning that you can apply such
preventive measures with any HTML environment, using phpBB
or not! On top of that, it sounds quite familiar to me.

So maybe a lack of innovation but useful too.
Casual developer for AJAX Chat on behalf of the author / Arcade Center powered by phpBB Arcade

A problem well put is half solved. (John Dewey, 1859–1952)
tupeu
Registered User
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: roFLmania
Contact:

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by tupeu »

well, a site that uses the phpbb.com template (only changed the header image) is

http://www.guv2.com/prosilver
Last edited by tupeu on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
updown
Registered User
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:53 am

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by updown »

easygo wrote: I think it's not a mod because it modifies nothing as to the
phpBB specifications themselves. [...] On top of that, it sounds quite familiar to me.
you can also apply these kind of arguments to this validated mod, where just a special (!) template has been changed for adding a button like in another template:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1064615
easygo wrote:Meaning that you can apply such preventive measures with any HTML environment, using phpBB or not!
Yes of course, but here it makes a special sense that effects the security of the phpBB-system!
easygo wrote:
updown wrote:Hey, we could start a poll about this... :lol:
Yeah, why not?
Better starting a poll about what to do with this code-snippet, instead of voting how we would call it - and asking the crew to officially implement this as a security precaution, for example.

By the way, instead of juggling with opinions, is there an official notice what a "Mod" is defined as exactly anywhere?
User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 16147
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milano 🇮🇹 Frankfurt 🇩🇪
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by 3Di »

updown wrote:By the way, instead of juggling with opinions, is there an official notice what a "Mod" is defined as exactly anywhere?
A MOD is a MODification to the core code of phpBB.

A .htaccess file isn't.

That's it IMO.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
updown
Registered User
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:53 am

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by updown »

3Di wrote:A MOD is a MODification to the core code of phpBB.

A .htaccess file isn't.

That's it IMO.
A MOD is a MODification to the system of phpBB.

A .htaccess file within this system is!

That's it IMO. ;)
User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 16147
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milano 🇮🇹 Frankfurt 🇩🇪
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by 3Di »

Bah.! :lol:
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
User avatar
^[GS]^
Registered User
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by ^[GS]^ »

and that is my discharge has been eliminated, however, the threat is real, exist, and that is why, I was thinking about how to protect programs like mine templates others ^^
I am not the villain of the movie, I like to experiment with problems to create a solution ^^

:ugeek:
User avatar
Gleasonator
Registered User
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: [DEV] Prevent theft Template

Post by Gleasonator »

updown wrote:
3Di wrote:A MOD is a MODification to the core code of phpBB.

A .htaccess file isn't.

That's it IMO.
A MOD is a MODification to the system of phpBB.

A .htaccess file within this system is!

That's it IMO. ;)
I agree. By placing a .htaccess file into a fresh copy of phpBB, it becomes no longer a fresh copy of phpBB. And if it's not a fresh copy of phpBB, yet still a copy of phpBB, it must be a modified copy of phpBB.

Therefore, this is a mod.
Sorry for my bad Engrish !
gleason|design

Image
Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”