[Discountined] Seven MOD Installer - 0.6.2

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
sevenalive
Translator
Name: Robert

[Discountined] Seven MOD Installer - 0.6.2

Post by sevenalive » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:15 am

Modification Name: Seven MOD Installer
Author: sevenalive

Modification Description: Automates the installation of MODS based on the MODX format. Most mods can be completed with no manual code entry (except for sql and diy). If manual code changes are required, use the generated MOD format to do the changes needed.
Requirements: Requires Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 or higher.

Features of 0.6.2:
  • Runs on your computer, not your web site.
  • Automated installation of MODS
  • Mod a phpBB installation on your local computer, or by providing ftp login information.
  • Upload modded files back to the ftp server
  • Incremental backup of changed files
  • Automatically moves included files to the appropriate location
  • History w/ information of MODS done
  • Warning if a MOD has already been applied (based on history)
  • Displays MOD information in an easy to use interface and in your specified language (if available)
  • Mod custom styles based on prosilver and subsilver2
  • MOD format output for manual code changes
  • MODX 1.0, 1.0.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.2 format support.
Planned Features:
  • Uninstall of MOD by reversing the actions of the MODX file.
  • Full Locale Support
Screenshots:
http://se7enalive.googlepages.com/smi1.png
http://se7enalive.googlepages.com/smi2.png
http://se7enalive.googlepages.com/smi3.png
http://se7enalive.googlepages.com/smi4.png
http://se7enalive.googlepages.com/smi5.png

Modification Download:
Source

This is an offline installer, it runs on windows.

This works great still however i will not be updating it as AutoMOD tool has been released and is getting stable. Also the Online MODX creator is doing well, so no need for an offline installer. If you like to continue it, feel free it is open source. I removed the binary, AutoMOD is a better solution and is directly supported by the phpBB team.
Last edited by sevenalive on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am, edited 46 times in total.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: Seven MODX Auto Installer - Coming Soon!!!

Post by karlsemple » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:22 am

I will leave this open in the hope it encourages some phpBB3 discussion, but remember this is not the correct forum for releasing any kind of mod, and any attempt to do so will result in the topic being locked and download link removed :)

The [3.0.x] MODs in Development forum will be the correct place to release the development mod and the finished mod should be submitted to the mod database for validation :)

sevenalive
Translator

Post by sevenalive » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:25 am

Well it is not a mod per-se to phpbb3. Its written in C#.
I thought it wouldn't qualify as a mod, but if it does, when i release it i will make the required adjustments

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:24 am

im wondering how it is going to handle MODs that have conflicting instructions. for example, lets say you install MOD1 and then go to install MOD2.

MOD1

Code: Select all

OPEN: viewtopic.php

FIND: if ($view && !$post_id)

INLINE, FIND: !$post_id

INLINE, BEFORE ADD: $code && 
MOD2

OPEN: viewtopic.php

FIND: if ($view && !$post_id)
in MOD2, you wont find if ($view && !$post_id) because MOD1 changed that line to if ($view && $code && !$post_id). i always install MODs by hand, but i can see this being a problem for average joe user.

sevenalive
Translator

Post by sevenalive » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:51 am

If there are any issues then an error list will be shown. Showing the file to edit, find, and the action to take, so you can do it by hand.

I just downloaded the 3.0.2 files, and almost every near current mod there is in the DB, plus a few in development. I will install each mod one by one, check them for accuracy and fix any problems that occur.

I still have to do that increment/decrement operation. Either i will do it automatically, or have it has a manual edit.

mtrs

Post by mtrs » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:59 am

I think it shouldn't be fully automatic. When there is any conflict, installer (like the text editor spell check functions) step by step should ask you with suggestions to install how. So, we can select the correct edit decision.
I abandoned all of my mods.

sevenalive
Translator

Post by sevenalive » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:39 am

If there is a problem where it cannot automatically edit the file.

It creates a MOD format entry for it, and it continues, then it tells the user to look at the error log, which is just a MOD format of things to check and do manually.

I just did 10 mods straight, no errors occurred. I gotta do some more features (still gotta do the operation action, but i need to think about how i am going to do that one)

I got to add in history, which would be very useful. After you mod it will add the mod details into the history.
Details will be Mod Name, version, Author, Description, and Support URLS. That way you can't try and install the same mod twice (it wouldn't matter anyway, except the installer detects these as errors, so it would be wise to prevent this.

The only problem i see is if a mod updates, then most likely you will need to manual install the update, unless the author includes a modx format file for code changes from one revision to the next.

I could provide MOD Uninstall support, simply reversing the actions of the MODX, but ill wait and see on that. I just want to get this thing optimized, thoroughly tested and feature rich. You will at least see screenshots within 24 hours, if not a beta. Its late (4am for me) so ill get some sleep.

The mod installer will also have an updater (which is optional), so you will get the latest version automatically, it will be provided by my other project: Seven Update, open source update app. I am trying to get both of these projects going, ppl waiting for both of these!!

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Not criticisms of the idea, but a couple things I've run into with modification installers (YaBB and BoardMod) is when the installer is confused, it's not always obvious how to address the confusion. And of course when it comes to "a heavily MODded board," often we're talking about changes made by users themselves, even if they don't consider these "MODs," that can accumulate over time. Then when it comes to installing a packaged MOD, problems arise.

I mention these because of this type of expectation: "When there is any conflict, installer (like the text editor spell check functions) step by step should ask you with suggestions to install how. So, we can select the correct edit decision." It's fair enough if the admin understands the code, the conflict, and how to resolve it. But for the majority of admins, I suspect this will not be the case. So like phpBB itself (consider expectations over the automatic update system, for example), there will likely be high expectations and consequently easily disappointed people, especially over the long term.

If I recall correctly, BoardMod used it's history feature as a basis for an uninstall feature. That came in handy especially when a MOD went south and it wasn't clear how to handle it.
We should talk less, and say more.

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:28 pm

maybe you could add a feature to the equivalent of the "merge" option that the phpbb auto-updater has. my guess would be that not-so-knowlegable admins will click merge, and then something doesnt work right. this leads to an uninstall, so thats another feature i think should be included.

blazes

Post by blazes » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:19 pm

All these problems were what EasyMODCompliancy was trying to solve. If you ever want a fully functional MOD installer, you have to first have an EMC and get MOD authors to use it.
I'm lazy and don't check my MOD support threads very often. If you need help and I'm not replying in the thread, PM me and yell.

sevenalive
Translator

Post by sevenalive » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:10 pm

blazes wrote:All these problems were what EasyMODCompliancy was trying to solve. If you ever want a fully functional MOD installer, you have to first have an EMC and get MOD authors to use it.
Well the beauty with my installer, it already has 100% Mod Database support, it uses the MODX format, so as long as the MOD author follows the standard (which they have to, to be validated) it should work.

Sure i could write some algorithim that would take 200 lines of code and interpret every error, but i am trying to get this out the door. More often than not, your not going to run into errors, and if you do, you got a MOD format to follow to find and edit the lines yourself. So instead of doing a 40 minute mod, you can do it in 10 seconds (aside from running sql queries and diy instructions), or in 2 minutes if there are a few errors.

One of the most common errors i see in mods is in there FIND, most of the time they got spacing issues! So when you do a find (w/o ignoring whitespace) it will return results. So i will do a normal find first, then try a ignore whitespace find. I do that in dreamweaver all the time and it works great.

I still got to do the history, which is pretty easy and shouldn't take too long to do. I am still testing with a vanilla 3.0.1 > 3.0.2 (making sure 100% no errors, i only got 1 due to spacing issues on my end)
My own personal modded board 3.0.1, doing codechanges to 3.0.2.
and also 3.0.2 and installing mods on that.

sevenalive
Translator

Post by sevenalive » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Alright, i gotta do something about that whitespace issue still. If there is a change in whitespace, then it cannot find it. I been trying to find code for an "ignore whitespace" like dreamweaver has, but still no luck.

I have added a few features that will make modding even easier.

You can either view a text MOD format of the manual changes needed (when the mod is complete you can view and do them).

Or you can use the editor i created. It loads the Find, Action, and Source file in 3 different textboxes.
You can easily Do a Find with 1 click, and replace with another.

I will add the ability to do a 1line find in editor mode, this will allow you to easily edit the lines if they have been modified by a mod.

So for example you go this code:
Find

This is my old code
Replace

This is my new code
But what if a mod changed it to:

This is my old code
This is my modded code
Obviously it's not going to find it, so if you enable one-line find option, if the normal way fails, it will trim() white spaces and search the source file for the first line and select it.

You can then save your changes directly and it will continue to mod (or you can do it after automod is done, depending on your option).

sevenalive
Translator

Post by sevenalive » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:31 am

Alright, well after 2 days of searching for an easy method of finding a string while ignoring white space, i came up with nothing (well a headache if u count that).

So I sat down and thought about how i can do it, and i implemented my own find method, its very fast and works flawlessly. So spacing issues due to user/mod/mod author are no longer a problem. I just did a 3.0.1 > 3.0.2 and a few mods on top of that with 100% results and no manual changes needed.

If there is a conflict i have 2 ways of dealing with it. You can either use my own code editor, which pre populates the needed find and action changes, with "quick click find/replace"
or it can generate a MOD Template so you can do them in your own editor.

Let me get things nice and ready, at first i did the code a bit sloppy, so i got to do optimization, documentation (the usual code cleanup). I will try really hard to get a Beta out tomorrow, i am working on it and am excited to be the one who automates the Mod process.

It should be ready for public use tomorrow, i am just making sure mods are done and working. More details, screenshots, and download will be here tomorrow (barring some unforeseen incident)!!!
Last edited by sevenalive on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:32 am

ok as this has turned to out and out mod discussion I am going to move this to the mod writers discussion forum :)

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:17 am

sevenalive wrote:I am announcing the Seven MODX Auto Installer, it is built on .Net C# 2.0, so most XP and all Vista machines can run it "out of box".
Have you not overlooked one major issue - and that is that there are very few sites hosted on XP and Vista machines? The vast majority of sites are on *nix servers or are you expecting that all site admins, who use mods, have a copy of their site on their PC, install the mod there and then upload it to the server.

Just another point - how do you propose to handle template and theme files?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”