[MODDB] easyPortal

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
mya

Re: [BETA] easyPortal 0.0.1

Post by mya »

Great mod, installed easy.....

but does anyone know what file must i edit to get an image to show up on the portal page? I've modified the portal_body page within my template folder, but nothing I do makes any difference....nothing changes or shows up....I cant even break it....so I' thinking this must not be the file to focus on.

I appreciate any help you can provide on this...
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

Whenever you make a template edit to any template file, (index_body, portal_body, forumlist_body, etc..) you have to refresh the template. You can do this through the Styles tab of the Administration Panel.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
nubcaked

Post by nubcaked »

Nice looking portal. It's been a long time since I've used phpBB / dev'd a page...

With that in mind, I don't really want to create my own styles, templates or install someone else's mod... I really just need to pull topics and posts...

Suggestions?
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

If the style is prosilver or subsilver2 based, then you won't have to modify the template file to work. If you're just wanting the functionality behind it, then you'll need to ask in MOD Writers Discussion how to pull the latest topics, polls, etc..
nubcaked

Post by nubcaked »

Thanks... I spent the entire night going through various stuff and figured it out. I pretty much wrote what would be the start of my own "mod" / style. Some of your portal code was a big help!

One thing that I think could really benefit newcomers and/or phpbb2 users would be a simple overview of how phpbb3 differs in the respect that styles, templates and user language is a much more intuitive and powerful way of driving dynamic phpbb3 content.

I probably missed the tutorials and how-to's that easily explain what to do... but it seemed hard to find -- or at least harder to find than when I was using phpbb2. A huge help was the existence of fetchall for phpbb2 ... Olympus really eliminates that entire mentality of site creation -- in a good way.

In short, I'm really impressed with the new Olympus API
Pardis
Translator

Post by Pardis »

Great,It seems to be great,but I have a question :

Your Portal can show which one ?

1.Admin or frum medator can set a topic that shows as a news?
2.Admin or frum medator can set a topic that shows as a news and news can be managed as categories? (Such as www.phpBB2.de plus 1.53a Portal)
3.News of some (or all) forums that set in ACP (mostly by ID's) shows automaticly in Portal?
4.Sticy or Annucoment topic show in portal?
5.News Not load from forum,they are written as Article ?
6.Portal contents Archivet every X pages (Such as www.phpBB2.de plus 1.53a Portal)

Pleas tell what of above abilites this portal has ?
Thanks alot
MrC
Name: Ivo

Post by MrC »

Not installed this portal yet myself, but this is what i think it does regarding the news items.

You have to enter the forum id for news to show it at the potal, i suppose there will also be an announcement block available.

Phpbb2 plus and Orion have integrated the news mod written by CodemonkeyX in their portals. That gives the ability to create news categories and have the option to show the news from any forum post. You have to select a news cat while porsting

I don't think that kind of news option is integrated as it is an addon to the smartor portal.

Hope i made myself clear, not completely awake ;)
Pardis
Translator

Post by Pardis »

Thanks alot,I'm searching for a such phpBB2.de plus portal,Does any portal has feautures such this ?
MrC

Post by MrC »

I was also hoping that a portal had this feature included. I used to have plus in the past and i liked the news mod a lot. The portals i've tested only can fetch posts from a predefined portal id.
MrC

Post by MrC »

I will install easy portal this week. It contains all blocks i need.
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

easyPortal is just like ezPortal. The only things it has are:
  • Recent topics list
  • Recent news posts
  • Recent poll
  • Navigation Block
  • Login Block
  • Links Block
The "recent" items are configurable through portal.php to specify which forums to use. If you need the functionality of the phpBB2.de portal, then this one really won't do it for you.
MrC

Post by MrC »

Hi ,

Just installed the portal on by test board.
I found out that when a guest does not have read access to the news forum and he/she wants to see the portal a SQL error appears.
Changed the permissions for guests into read access : no error, guests are able to see the news items at the portal
Changed permissions for guest into no access : guests are still able to see the news items at the portal.

**edit**
Changed guest permissions to All No, makes the error appear at the portal

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

[0]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

I am aware of this, it makes an empty array which breaks the query. It isn't currently designed to allow board owners to have news items that no one can read. This will be fixed in the next release when I get some time.
MrC

Post by MrC »

Ok, it's not really an issue at the moment because guests are allowed to read the news forum.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”