[BETA] Dead Man's Switch

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
spaceace

Re: [ALPHA] Dead Man's Switch

Post by spaceace » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:47 pm

cool :D

i'm going to put it on my test site tonight :D

IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:54 am

Nice so far! :)

I do not need an ACP part. Let's keep it the way it is.

Two questions:

- When I want to have more than one recipient, would this be the solution?
- Is it possible to format the text to send by changing

Code: Select all

$dead_man_content = 'Call me 089-1234567, ftp and db passwords are under my pillow';
to
$dead_man_content = "Hi guys,\nunfortunately I am dead now.\n\nHere are my FTP-data: ...";
Have a nice weekend!
Wolfgang

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:36 am

IPB_Refugee wrote:When I want to have more than one recipient, would this be the solution?
No, but I'll implement a method today!
IPB_Refugee wrote:Is it possible to format the text to send by changing [...]
Yes, it is. And I will make it so that you may use a plain text file instead if you wish to do so.

IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:43 am

MartectX wrote:No, but I'll implement a method today!
Thank you! :)
IPB_Refugee wrote:And I will make it so that you may use a plain text file instead if you wish to do so.
This would be nice because the text might get a little longer as it will be my good bye to the world. ;)

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:53 am

IPB_Refugee wrote:I do not need an ACP part. Let's keep it the way it is.
I doubt the validation team would like that! :lol:

IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:08 am

Might be true. I haven't read the coding guidelines yet. Hmm, primehalo's Prime Links MOD also works with hard coded settings in a PHP file. And his Prime Post Revisions MOD, too...
But as long as security doesn't decrease you are welcome to add an ACP part to your MOD. ;) :)

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:29 am

IPB_Refugee wrote:But as long as security doesn't decrease you are welcome to add an ACP part to your MOD. ;) :)
I don't know... I also thought of a way to be completely database independent, I just don't know where the advantage would be in that. For the mod to *absolutely* not rely on the database one would have to make use of a cronjob service (because if the db is not connectable to the code would not be run by PHP in the first please, lest I execute it at the very start of common.php - oh wait, why not actually...).

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:46 pm

ALPHA 2: Now you can send to multiple recipients and also specify a .txt file to use as email message body!

I'm also thinking about enabling the sending of a pm to all admins and moderators - thoughts on that?

spaceace

Post by spaceace » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:36 pm

MartectX wrote:ALPHA 2: Now you can send to multiple recipients and also specify a .txt file to use as email message body!

I'm also thinking about enabling the sending of a pm to all admins and moderators - thoughts on that?
nice addition :D

and pming staff, i think would be a great idea :D

IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:50 pm

That's really a nice MOD, MartectX! :)

I noticed that the store-folder has already a .htaccess for additional security:

Code: Select all

<Files *>
	Order Allow,Deny
	Deny from All
</Files>
Due to security reasons I'd strongly recommend to not store the data of this MOD ($dead_man_user, $dead_man_days, $dead_man_recipients, $dead_man_content) in the database.

It is much better the way it is now. And if they don't validate this useful MOD, who cares? ;)

Regards
Wolfgang

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:17 am

Smog wrote:This is the most useful phpBB mod i have ever seen, txs! :D
*cough* flattering... :oops:
IPB_Refugee wrote:It is much better the way it is now. And if they don't validate this useful MOD, who cares? ;)
Now that's just evil, IPB_Refugee... :twisted:

mtrs

Re: [DEV] Dead Man's Switch

Post by mtrs » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:38 am

MartectX wrote:I'm still not quite sure on how to secure the data. I think the best way would be to point the receiver to a location where all this information is stored and not send them everything right away, as an attack on the database would potentially disclose all of it.

Further ideas on this one?
What about a 3. party site with a script checking last visit time of Dead Man. Say, www.deadmansite.com/deadmanlastvisitdatepage.php to be checked by secret site php code to learn if the dead man status incapacitated. A cron job will be scheduled to run on another host/site with www.deadmanrevealer.com/checkdeadman.php , consequently, the data can be stored in a 3. party site independent from the board.
If dead man alert to be given, the 3. party site stored script can send pms or mails from the board. Just an idea..
Nice mod, would like to try :P
I abandoned all of my mods.

MartectX
Translator

Re: [DEV] Dead Man's Switch

Post by MartectX » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:23 am

mtrs wrote:What about a 3. party site with a script checking last visit time of Dead Man. Say, http://www.deadmansite.com/deadmanlastvisitdatepage.php to be checked by secret site php code to learn if the dead man status incapacitated. A cron job will be scheduled to run on another host/site with http://www.deadmanrevealer.com/checkdeadman.php , consequently, the data can be stored in a 3. party site independent from the board.
If dead man alert to be given, the 3. party site stored script can send pms or mails from the board. Just an idea..
Nice mod, would like to try :P
Could be done as part of making the mod completely database independent (b/c then I'd have to store last visit time anyway! ;))

IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:37 am

To be honest, I'd prefer to stay independent from other websites.
What would be the advantage to do it via a third party site? When my own site is already down, the FTP data would become useless. And when my site is still running, I don't need a third party site for this MOD. (And cronjobs don't work with PHP files, as far as I know.) Let's keep it simple and as secure as possible. :)

Regards
Wolfgang

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”