[ABD] Activity Stats MOD 2.0.0

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

[ABD] Activity Stats MOD 2.0.0

Post by Highway of Life » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:48 am

Modification Name: Activity Stats MOD
Author: Highway of Life

Modification Description:: This MOD is the next major version to the Activity Stats MOD 1.0.0 released in March, 2008
This MOD will contain three times the features of the original Activity Stats MOD. Completion status as of December 5th for version 2 is 70%, I have to create this MOD for a client, so it has to be completed soon.
Modification Version:: 2.0.0-Dev

The purpose of this topic is to gain ideas for features you would like to see in a much more advanced version of the Activity Stats MOD. I’m not going to post the planned features for this version (yet) as I do not want to influence your ideas and I would like to surprise you as well when everything is ready for release.

Planned Features: Planned features will be posted here as they are posted to this topic.
  1. The ability to turn each feature of the MOD on or off
  2. Top posters for a given time period
  3. Users active for set time period
  4. New posts
  5. New topics
  6. The top x viewed topics (popular/active topics) for a set time period.
  7. Top posters for time period (all-time top posters included)
Screenshots: See the topic above for screenshots of 1.0.0, screenshots do not yet exist for 2.0.0-dev

Demo URL: See the above URL for a demo of the activity stats MOD 1.0.0, a demo does not yet exist for 2.0.0-dev

Modification Download: See the above URL for a download of activity stats MOD 1.0.0, a download for version 2.0.0 does not yet exist.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Mudjosh

Re: [DEV] Activity Stats MOD 2.0.0

Post by Mudjosh » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:48 am

A thing I would like to see, is as I'm sure this will have many features, is the option to turn features on or off in the ACP..

I wish all mods had this ability but it adds a good bit to the installation of the mod sometimes so it is up to the mod creator..

I figure it would be a nice feature for those who would like to easily turn features on or off depending on their board.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:12 am

You just discovered one of the new features in the 2.0.0 version. ;) :P
-- added to first post --
This MOD will support installation via the UMI Library, so having these configurations is not a problem at all. :)

mtotheikle

Post by mtotheikle » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:25 am

How about these features
1) Top posters for a given time period
2) Users active for set time period
3) New posts
4) New topics
5) The top x viewed topics (popular/active topics)
6) Top posters for time period (all-time top posters included)

:D
New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing? Then phpBB Academy is the place for you!

No support via PM, I will not respond!

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:09 am

You found 5 of 6... the one for top x viewed topics, I hadn’t thought of that one. Probably will do top posted topics and top viewed topics within a given time period.

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:14 am

Hey, HoL, are you planning on making this a general Statistics mod? If this is what you have in mind, then it would be nice. My users liked a lot the statistics mod I had in my phpbb2 board and wish we could have one in the new board, too.
As far as I know, The Unique Tiger has created a statistics mod for phpbb3, but he has disappeared and the mod needs a lot of fixes to be used...
Suggestions:
1. Ability for statistics to have their own page (display a few things like in version 1 and a link to view full/more stats in their own page)
2. Use of the beautiful bars you have in stg's stats...
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:10 am

ChriZathens wrote:Hey, HoL, are you planning on making this a general Statistics mod? If this is what you have in mind, then it would be nice. My users liked a lot the statistics mod I had in my phpbb2 board and wish we could have one in the new board, too.
As far as I know, The Unique Tiger has created a statistics mod for phpbb3, but he has disappeared and the mod needs a lot of fixes to be used...
Suggestions:
1. Ability for statistics to have their own page (display a few things like in version 1 and a link to view full/more stats in their own page)
2. Use of the beautiful bars you have in stg's stats...
Activity Stats can have anything to do with Board Activity, so I’m open to any suggestions within reason. :)
I have a list of features that I’ve added and some that I’ll add in with 2.0, if I think the feature will take some time, I will probably wait on that. I like the idea of having a separate page, like we did here: http://startrekguide.com/stats/ and that is my ultimate goal for a stats MOD.

Again, I’m open to suggestions... the stat graphs will have to come later, so that won’t make it into 2.0 :)

mtrs

Post by mtrs » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 am

- 2.0.0 may show how long a user stays online in 24 time scale. 1.0.0 by default is run every hour, so a user in one run means approximately one hour or less online time. That may be an easy way to estimate rough online time durations in 24 hours.
- Permission option to hide stats from some users, guests etc.
- An option for logged in users, to collapse stats view by a hide-show template switch, as we see in modx files.
- An ACP option to show only the number of "activated and/or not yet activated users" as registered new users in 24 hour list.
I abandoned all of my mods.

ChriZathens

Post by ChriZathens » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:57 pm

A few more features:
1. New users by month
2. Most viewed topics

:D
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

DoYouSpeakWak
Name: Hans Lassen

Post by DoYouSpeakWak » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:36 pm

Even better
New users by month for set time period

Another usefull thing would be if Top posters for a given time period were clicked you would be redirected to a search with those posts witin that given time period. And the same with Top posters for time period (all-time top posters included)

Good luck with this mod. 1.0 is a lovely addition to any forum, 2.0 with the option to turn on and off each of the feature is perfect. So far we have done this with IF codes in html and special group ids. But this sounds much easier.

DYSW
Whatever you share comes back. Support the phpBB Communities
My Validated and Released Modifications
Offering paid phpBB help and System administrator services.

stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:38 am

The only thing I am really missing in 1.0.0 is how many guests visited.

And if you are going to do a seperate page, attachment count (maybe split up in file types), ban count, warning count, PM count, BBCode Count, database size, users with signatures etc...
And if you want to make this even "bigger", let all this stats be links to another seperate page with more detailed stats.
I am done with phpBB

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:02 am

I’m working on this MOD right now and I had to take a break before my brain explodes... I’m thinking of so many dynamic variations to variables of options within the MOD and the possibilities that people might need in certain situations that I am having to re-think how I am doing the settings and permissions of this MOD.

I don’t know if any of you can offer suggestions, or if this is just a post to get these thoughts out of my head (probably so).
I’m thinking people want to control each possible block of statistics with an on/off option, that’s great because it’s just a bool config. Now throw in permissions, if people want to control a specific set of statistics based on user permissions, that’s fine too, I enable the user to be able to enable finer control by turning on the permissions, or leaving it off and letting the config on/off control what block will show and what won’t.

In simple terms, you can leave it simple, config on/off. If you want finer-grained control, you can enable the permissions, and in addition to having the config on/off, you can control who sees what, when using the phpBB3 permissions/auth system.

Now let’s throw in another variable. Lets do a page of stats, because people might want to display these stats on a separate page instead of the index page, sure... okay, but now we have to double our settings because some stats people would want to show on the index, some stats they don’t want to show on the index and ONLY the stats pages, and some they would show on both. Okay, fine fine... I think we can handle that. It adds complexity to the system, but doable.

What if the user has a portal, and they want to add the stats to the portal instead of the index page, now how do we determine dynamically that the user would want to show the stats on the portal instead of the index page, or on the stats page instead of the index, or what if they want it to display on the index and the portal, but not the stats, or just on the index and in addition, configs on/off and based on user permissions... phooey, now my brain has exploded.

How should I control this in such a way that it will accommodate most situations without being so complex that it would take me more than a day to make it?

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:41 am

There, I found a solution, thanks in part to topdown and mtotheike’s advice. Really worked to post that. :D

ChriZathens

Post by ChriZathens » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:34 am

In my opinion you should leave the Index page as is, only add an option to view full stats, which will open a new page and display all info that should be displayed depending on the user's group permissions. :D
My mods in MODDB:

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:39 am

Yes, that’s the plan, of course the info on the index page can be activated or deactivated, I’m not going to make location specific configs, but specific stats can be turned on or off.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”